linux, ISDN & ISA

Taking care of your Linux box.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

linux, ISDN & ISA

Postby zaeemarshad » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:15 am

hi all
i have a problem regarding a desi cable isp setup. we have a 128k 2B channel link. at first we ran freesco and it ran fine but the only problem we had was that only a single 64k link was working under it and the second channel was disabled. so we moved on to ISA server which happily supported the both B channels. (we are using a 128TA i.e terminal adapter from dlink ; a usb model). anyway windows clients easily got on the information superhighway. the problem came when we wanted to connect a linux client. the linux client could ping the network and access all the resources except that it could not get on the net. even basic name resolvin didnt work. when i typed ping www.yahoo.com it would immediately retrun a message that host unknown. now plz tell me how can i remove this problem. i will be thankful for any help. thanks

regards
zaeem

farhanksa
Subedar

ISA makes problem with linux clients

Postby farhanksa » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:53 am

ISA makes problem with linux clients..
but i used win-proxy or ms-proxy they work fine.but they r not that good..

u try rh...i hered from 1 of the guy that it works fine for both B-channels.
btw which isp u r using with bri?

zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby zaeemarshad » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:41 am

they r multiple but we often use world online. plz note that we r offering cable services and i am not a single user of some cable net. i hope u will help me. we want a ms free solution based completely on opensource. once complete we will start offering services for those willing to launch a modest desi cable net setup with linux that will definitely prove its ROI(return on investment) as we believe and what we have seen until now.

regards
zaeem

mahin
Major

linux, ISDN & ISA

Postby mahin » Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:42 pm

I could be wrong but looks like ISA Proxy may be the cause.

Please read the How-to by our member Raheel Abdul Hameed at:

http://ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Web-Browsi ... HOWTO.html

apart from above check out following also:

http://www.netintegrity.com.au/webindex.html

some parts are quite relevent to your project.

Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:11 pm

Yup tariq bhai (mahin) is right!

Most probably its a problem with the isa server and/or a mismatched setting.
As mahin said, read that excellent howto by Mr..Raheel.It will surely help you solve your problem if it is caused by ISA.

fawad
Site Admin

Postby fawad » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:21 am

Disclaimer: I have no idea what ISDN is or how it works.

zaeemarshad, please check out the [url=http://www.ipcop.org/]IPCop[/ipcop] distro. It's a specialized router/firewall distro. The credits page claims to support dual ISDN. In my experience it detects all the network cards out of the box and you have to spend about 5 minutes before you have a working router. At work, I've installed it on a 133 MHz machine and has been working like a charm. Is doing NAT, port forwarding, IPSEC VPN etc. The user community is very nice and helpful too.

sakbar
Naik

Postby sakbar » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:00 pm

i totally agree with fawad about ipcop, it does support ISDN (dual) connectivity !!

A pluc member JUNAID has worked with it a lot .. u can contact him .. just in case ..

--SHAKEEL

Return to “Administration”