Auto reboot and auto power on again

Taking care of your Linux box.
usamahashimi

Auto reboot and auto power on again

Post by usamahashimi »

Hi
I was facing a problem and I tried to fix it by my own simple trick, I want to share it with you, maybe you have some better idea for me;
I want to keep my system running for 24/7 but because of load shedding it is not possible and I had to manually turn on my computer every time, so I tried this;
As because of load shedding my PC was shutting down (irregularly) so I created a cron job to reboot my PC 5 min before of load shedding time and to prevent my PC from booting to Linux again I set the grub timeout to 600 seconds (as light goes in 300 seconds) and I set option in BIOS "Return to last state" to when light again comes my PC turn on automatically and counting 600 seconds and now I don't have to worry about powering on or powering off my PC manually.
Does anyone have any better idea for me?
Thanks
imzee
Lance Naik

Post by imzee »

AOA,

Solv # 1 is use UPS. normaly every 24x7 computer have UPS. wo baat or hay k lite 3,4 hour say bhi ziada chali jaay or UPS down hoo jaay to us k liye aap ka idea not bad

600 Sec = 10 minutes
I think 10 min is very long time ;

I think BIOS may ek option hota hay : After Power Failer =on|off
jiss say poer automatic on hoo jata hay.... even meny apny servr may yahi kia howa hay .. UPS down hoo jaay to light any per server khood on hojata hay.
Imtiaz Mustafa
CCENT, CCNA, JNCIA
Cell : +923452828799
e-mail : imtiazmustafa@hotmail.com
usamahashimi

Post by usamahashimi »

600 secs are just 10 minutes, 5 minute before the loadshedding and 5 minute after the loadshedding (just for caution backup).
You are advising me to get my pc poweroff irregularly and let it turn back on after the loadshedding but I trying to prevent my pc from irregular shutdown.
cisco_specialized
Lance Naik

usen OLR

Post by cisco_specialized »

Use open linux router
x2oxen
Major General

Post by x2oxen »

If you talking about for any NOC then use UPS with Generator Backup.
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
http://usmanpk.com
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

how will "open linux router" help with restarting computers after power outages?
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?