Many Problems Including One With Samba

Taking care of your Linux box.

Many Problems Including One With Samba

Postby Jis4jag » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:07 am

Dear All,

I wonder if someone can help me. I have a HP ZE1110 Pavilion Notebook which i'd like to switch to MANDRAKE 8.2. However, there is a slight problem. It's default OS is Home XP and that is on the NTFS system. I can't resize the partition without deleting the entire filesystem. I've tried using Partition Magic 6.0, but it doesn't work well with NTFS. Any suggestions as to how to bypass this. I tried installing Win98, Win95, Win2k. None of them work. It's AMD processor, perhaps that's why.

Secondly, I've been trying to configure Samba on my desktop. Somehow when i run the command smbclient -L Hostname it gives me the shared drives on the host i want, but when i try to look for my linux PC on the netowork it is not found by a Windows PC. The pings are perfect for all my systems from and to Linux. I've tried reading up on it, the configurations are matched to the hilt. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. It's a peer-2-peer system, btw, and i dont' have a DHCP server running anywhere.

Thirdly, i require a modem driver for my Motorola Modem and for my notebook (HP). I've tried searching for it on winmodems.org but somehow it's not there. Can anyone help with this too.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jaguar.
Jis4jag

Solutions :D

Postby AsadR » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:10 pm

Hello,

For your problem, handling NTFS filesystems is very cumbersome. Being the one true solutions to any and all Windows related problems, I suggest you format your harddisk and then start clean: defining your partitions from scratch. You should first backup your important data onto another medium or computer (through ethernet or the like). You should not be having any trouble running any version of windows on an AMD processor. In any case I suggest you stay away from old versions of windows and stick with XP (WinXP Pro if possible).

For your second problem; make sure you have SMBD (the Samba daemon) running through inetd and configured correctly ("locate smb.conf"). Another important point is to make sure all the machines are on the same network (ie: their netmask and broadcast addresses are identical). You shouldn't be having any trouble going into Windows' "find computers" search and typing in your Linux machine's name (as configured in the smb.conf file). You should also make sure the workgroup name is configured to be the same.

For your third problem; Linux modem drivers have been a great source of distress to many Linux users (many early pakistani linux users will be all to familiar with the desperate search for ISA modems, no matter how slow, for the sake of Linux compatability). A quick search on google should reveal whether or not your vendor has the necessary drivers available on their website -- and if you're really lucky you'll find them in a ready-to-use .RPM format. If not, you might want to look a little more thoroughly though message boards for other people looking for similar drivers and asking them how they got them. As for the motorola modem, i'm quite sure the drivers are available from the Motorola website.
A shortcut solution to this problem is if you have a WinXP box on your LAN which does have a modem that works. You can then use Microsoft's perverted version of NAT (called Internet Connection Sharing or ICS) to connect your Linux box to the internet through your WinXP box.

Hope that helped,

-Asad

Ref:
1. http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html
2. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/networking/ics.asp
3. http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/SM56_DRIVERS.html#linux
AsadR
Lance Naik

Including Samba

Postby Atif Kamal » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:07 pm

Dear the post by AsadR is quite coool, i think it helped u so much...

I just waant to add a few lines abt samba, cuz i was also stucked at this point every thing was working fine but passwrod gotcha.....

if you can ping, you are 50% there.The rest is up to samba.Samba is a networking layer that allows Linux and Windows ( amongst others) to "talk" to each other.

First thing to do now is to create a user on your Linux system. adduser windows_user ( or whatever you like ; you will log into your windows 9x box with this user )passwd windows_user

Now, edit the samba configuration file; smb.conf. (if needed)

Change the "WORKGROUP" name to match the workgroup you set on the Windows machine.

Now, a bit lower down, there will be 2 lines :
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
Make sure they don't have ; or # ( comments ) infront.
Now create the smbpasswd file, needed to authenticate the login users.

give the user windows_user ( the one we created earlier)a smbpasswd.

smbpasswd windows_user (give passwd twice)

start/restart sambaservice smb start ( or restart if it was running already ).
Now, you just need to hit Start -> log off on the windows machine, and log in with windows_user and give the password you gave it in the last step.
Atif Kamal
Lance Naik

WLM: atif.kamal

Return to “%s” Administration