pppd issues???

Taking care of your Linux box.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

pppd issues???

Post by zaeemarshad »

I have a long standing history of problems connecting my modem with linux. anyway i have two problems right now.

The First Issue:

I have a US robotics 56k internal modem which was detected fine by my RHL 8.0 . when i tried to connect to the internet(i dialled paknet), i was able to enter username and password(wvdial) but then pppd just died. i dont remember the error code now but the manpage said that error code meant pppd died gracefully. stupid huh!!. anybody experienced that.

The Second Issue:

After the first issue arose, i resorted to my motorola modem and fortunately this time found the drivers by the help of a PLUC member(thanx rahil320). now the problem is that when i connect using kppp, the log says that pppd exited with an error code 1. dialing with wvdial, i found myself redialing as the carrier lost message kept showing up the screen.

I can connect with my SM56 modem fine on the internet in windows. u ppl got any idea.

Regards
Zaeem
lambda
Major General

Re: pppd issues???

Post by lambda »

stick "daemon.debug<tab><tab>/var/log/daemon" in /etc/syslog.conf, touch that file, hup syslogd. put "debug" in /etc/ppp/options, tail -f the log file, and dial in.
farhanksa
Subedar

Post by farhanksa »

aoa

it also mhappened to me many times when i config and conect to isp first time...
it says kpppd demon dies unexpectdly... and kppp was running with out debugging..
so do u want to do kppp debuggging..
and in the second time i get connected easily...
as i had been using and testing lots of modems in linux but some times they get naughty...and makes great troubles