Squid On Suse

Protecting your Linux box
Muhammad Nasim
Cadet

Squid On Suse

Post by Muhammad Nasim »

Assalam-o-Alaikum to all
I was going through to the Novell Website . I feel glad to saw that there Novell is working well towards OpenSource.Especially its OPen Enterprise Server is having great Features .I want to know id there any GUI Based Configuration Available in SUSE Enterprise Server 9 (Such as YaST)
Just drag and Drp and click sort of a thing .Because mail server configuration is Suse Server is very Easy

Waiting for Ur response
Thanks
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Muhammad Nasim,
Salam,

Depending upon your Subject

Just read following link and if you have any problem post there i will answer you :)

FYI, http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... .php?t=414

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
kbukhari
Major General

Post by kbukhari »

why linux user want to go for GUI ?
try using vi and peco ;)
--
Syed Kashif Ali Bukhari
+92-345-8444420
http://sysadminsline.com
http://kashifbukhari.com
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

any sysadmin who prefers to use pico or nano deserves to be replaced.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear kbukhari,
Salam,
kbukhari wrote:why linux user want to go for GUI ?
try using vi and peco ;)
Little correction.

# pico

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Muhammad Nasim
Cadet

Post by Muhammad Nasim »

Now i really realize that why Pakistani IT people are not being able to get growing opportunities in their careers. Brothers the problem is that I am currently wokring on the MAJOR Migration of a bank from Windows to Linux .I know how to work on Pico and Vi but the Network and System Administrator of Our Client are using Windows for last 7 to 8 years(they dont know what vi and pico is ).As I really want to clear one thing is that to use Pico or VI is not a big thing or achievement.If u really want to support Open Source or Want to have Open Source Environment on Workstation Site YOU have to "Think out of the Box " .As I gave hint in my post Novell is doing good work but no really get to the topic .To install linux and to make Proxy and mail server execute at home is not a big issue(because help is there even you only need to copy and paste things: ) ) but to migrate from Windows to linux is a big hurdle and providing same features as they are using currently you could imagine how difficult the task
Thanks anyways
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Muhammad Nasim,
Salam,
Muhammad Nasim wrote:Now i really realize that why Pakistani IT people are not being able to get growing opportunities in their careers. Brothers the problem is that I am currently wokring on the MAJOR Migration of a bank from Windows to Linux .I know how to work on Pico and Vi but the Network and System Administrator of Our Client are using Windows for last 7 to 8 years(they dont know what vi and pico is ).As I really want to clear one thing is that to use Pico or VI is not a big thing or achievement.If u really want to support Open Source or Want to have Open Source Environment on Workstation Site YOU have to "Think out of the Box " .As I gave hint in my post Novell is doing good work but no really get to the topic .To install linux and to make Proxy and mail server execute at home is not a big issue(because help is there even you only need to copy and paste things: ) ) but to migrate from Windows to linux is a big hurdle and providing same features as they are using currently you could imagine how difficult the task
I agree with you but what you are giving to Open Source ?

Migrating Bank from M$ Windows to Linux is the part of your Job if you get hired by a Company then they made a mistake because you are not able to solve the problem by your self they should hire some one better then you :)

No Hard Feelings :)

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Muhammad Nasim
Cadet

Post by Muhammad Nasim »

The real problem is after Migration .Who will be giving Tech Support to them? If they Constantly need Tech Support from us then it will cost very much and if they hire our team then what about the Guys who r working there .They are not Linux lovers .we want to migrate in such that the guys there easily grasp it and keep the bank running smoothly .For ur kind information they did not hire me for this purpose .I am working on security side in my company .They know my expertise are more on Cisco Side rather then Linux side but this project giving me exceptional experience like how to plan ,desgin and then the last Part Implement the Project .How to manage it? On what matters i have to think a lot ? U can say its a learning carve for me.Thats why i am giving extra time to it : )
Farrukh app sey kia hard feelings honi hai bas : )
I hope you would encourage rather then discourage :(
Thanks
aquiline
Company Havaldaar Major

WaY Forward >>>>>

Post by aquiline »

Dear Muhammad Nasim,
yep Facts are hard, but hard work can break all the hurdles. >> :arrow: >

“Ring the bells that still can ring / Forget your perfect offering / There is a crack in everything/ That's how the light gets in.”(Leonard Cohen)

Also it’s great that you are involving in “live-project”, keep striving, almost every user start with some frustration, the dedication and will to win is only required to access the root (#).
Have a more googling, as I often say: “the beauty of Linux is its CommUnity” so surf well known Linux Forums,
e.g. http://www.linuxquestions.org/
Explore the case studies of Open Source migrations, analyze your preferred OS-Platform, it’s availability, services in corporate sector etc, you may get a overview @
http://distrowatch.com/
Hell of information is on net, keep searching & smiling :wink: :lol:
“Rome was not built in a day.” Keep your nights enlighten with Linux :idea:
@ Home, you may visit
http://www.osrc.org.pk/
Best of Endurance :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:
Sh@Ring is Le@Rning
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear Muhammad Nasim,
Salam,
Farrukh app sey kia hard feelings honi hai bas : )
I hope you would encourage rather then discourage :(
I am really sorry. but there is no tool to configure squid from GUI. I belive you can use Webmin which is a webbased tool it will allow you to manage many services from web.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Apurva
Lance Naik

GUI tool for configuring squid on Suse Linux

Post by Apurva »

Hi,

I came across a company who has developed this GUI tool called - isquid.

You could reach them at "Kanak Changela" <kanak.changela@linsoftindia.com>