URDU shell Help wanted

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.

URDU shell Help wanted

Postby kkoool » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:07 pm

hi all
first of all u people have got a very nice forum here for the developers in linux i m stuck up in a project and need the source code (C Language) if any one of you has done anything on development of URDU shell for Linux...i m doing it in Unicode so please send me the files including how to load the fonts and how to get the character and display it on the screen as soon it is typed in Urdu ...also the words will have combinations so i need that implementation of BiDI algo too...........bye akramrizwan@yahoo.com
Cadet

WLM: kkoool@hotmail.com

Postby omer » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:04 pm

why dont I adopt you instead and pay for your education too...while im at it. ? :roll:
There are three kinds of people in this world....
those who know how to count...
and those who dont
omer
Lance Naik

Window Managers

Postby asher » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:48 pm

AOA!
I think you should look for the source codes of Window Mangers few of which support arabic. I don't know the exact names but you can search few on the internet. If you want to understand the working then LWM will be your first choice as it is Light Weight window Manager. Hope this will help.
Allah Hafiz
Pakistan Zindabad
asher
Cadet

WLM: ic8081@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: sleepfaller@yahoo.com

Postby jargon » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:33 pm

Perhaps seeing what has been done w/ Arabic and using that as a base will help...
have a look see at www.arabeyes.org and their links. they have done some projects working w/ Arabic text.
jargon
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Urdu Shell

Postby kkoool » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:45 pm

help me with this.......i entered the command in Urdu which is again processed in english by lookup tables etc...then the computer gives me the output in english and i have to catch it and display it in my editor that shows everything on screen in Urdu.....
can anybody help me in that how to catch the output and do the necassary language adjustments with it ...please reply...R
need help ASAP
kkoool
Cadet

WLM: kkoool@hotmail.com

Postby mahin » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:30 am

Our focus is on providing Urdu support under x as this is what end user needs. Urdu support at shell is required by developers/admin while desirable have to wait as we do not have any one willing to undertake the task..

My advice if you seek is same what Jargon said. Join Arabeyes Developer list, read the archives, check out Nadims work [ looks to me from your question that this is what you need but then I could be wrong so you need to check for your self ] and then post question if you have. Do not expect them to spoon feed, they will not unless you take up some task [ there are many just check the To Do list ] sign up as volunteer and learn.

BTW for fonts you may have check Khatoot Project at Arabeyes and PakType at yahoo groups.
mahin
Major

Website: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index.php/LinuxPakistanKarachi

@kkoool

Postby Muhammad Atif Qureshi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:56 am

Asalamualikum

For Urdu shell, ur problem seems to be very simple do one thing. redirect the output string on file like $ls > \tmp\eng_string.txt. this will redirect the output on file. read the file by means of filing n then translate the way u want. feel free to contact, me working on Urdu too but 4 FreeDos :).

Wassaalam
Atif[/b]
Muhammad Atif Qureshi
Cadet

WLM: atif_the_game@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: matifq@yahoo.com

Postby Faraz.Fazil » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:17 am

To redirect stdout to a file

complete command > filename.txt
or

complete command >>filename.txt
(append mode)

for e.g

ls -al > /root/1.txt

to Redirect stderr :

complete command 2> filename.txt
or
complete command 2>> filename.txt

for e.g

osgmlnorm file1.sgm file2.sgm 2>>/root/errorlog

To redirect both stout and stderr

complete command &> filename.txt

the 2> is particularly helpful for error messages also.
In your case you will be redirecting stdout.
I guess thats explains it.
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

WLM: faraz7476@hotmail.com

Postby zeenix » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:50 am

Hello,
I dont have any clue how you get the 'system' console to do any kind of urdu-manipulation. I am currently doing urdu-manipulation in my Gtk+ apps pretty easily as Gtk+ is unicode-aware. Anyway, have you looked at 'gettext' and tried to use that? Most free/os apps use gettext (directly or indirectly) to get their app. internationlized in an easy/standard way. Still I am unable to comprehend what you are doing. Can you please upload your code somewhere and post it's link here or send it to me at `echo -n tyyhcr@agucf.wig | tr a-z g-za-f` ?
"I think therefore I am" --- Rene Descartes
zeenix
Naik

WLM: appibrother@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: zeenix@gmail.com

Postby Anjum Butt » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:36 pm

hello,

actually, you can't do urdu manipulation in text mode console as urdu, like arabic requires not only the capable fonts, but also a rendering engine to work.
and text console doesn't have any rendering engine.

so unless, any one creates a text mode font rendering engine which is almost impossible, without creating a layer around linux framebuffer ( something like fbcon ) and then creating a new framebuffer based font rendering engine for arabic/persian/urdu fonts.

IMHO, its better to use X based solutions.
More will follow :)

Anjum Butt
Registered Linux User #314299
Anjum Butt
Company Havaldaar Major

Return to “%s” Programming