What about Java5?

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.
lambda
Major General

Re: Jython

Post by lambda »

that's a terrible example. using the same logic, isn't smalltalk better?

Code: Select all

1 to: 100 do: [ :i | Transcript show: i; cr ].
it's more dynamic than java, you can get full corba/socket/soap/web sessions/etc support, and you can change classes in a running system.

maybe i should explain the last point. let's say you've written a server for something (a chat server, for example). while it's running, you discover a bug in your code. with smalltalk, you can connect to the running process, change the code, and you're done. the connected users don't have to disconnect. you don't have to restart the process.

wake me up when java or .net has something like that (this is 1970s technology i'm describing).

here's a free high performance smalltalk system: visualworks. it's free for non-commercial use. another free one (free for any use) is squeak.
swatiantigers
Lance Naik

Hey help needed with Small talk

Post by swatiantigers »

Hi
I need help how to install and start using small talk. i m asking this question much later sorry for that. one thing more i m still using java and will be using java. but its only not enough so i thought to learn small talk. but show me such a version of small talk which i can use for free and be able deploy my created programs and softwares to others thanx alot.

thanx alot..
lambda
Major General

Re: Hey help needed with Small talk

Post by lambda »

swatiantigers wrote:but show me such a version of small talk which i can use for free and be able deploy my created programs and softwares to others thanx alot.
i thought i did up above -- squeak. your best bet is to grab the precompiled virtual machine + squeak image from here: ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/3.8/unix-linux/. it's large, though.

http://www.squeak.org/ is down right now, but that'll probably be fixed in a day or two. try this tutorial. there are many books here.