Help required abt folder management

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Help required abt folder management

Postby salmanzafar3 » Thu May 12, 2005 9:41 am

Hello!
We are doing a Project named Web Based Email Client. We have to give functionality of sending and receiving emails with attachment which we have already done. Now we have to manage mail folders i.e. Inbox, Sent, Bulk, Trash and custom folders created by the client. Now we are using the sendmail mail server which manages the mails in a mailbox in the form of a simple file and all the mails are retrieved from that file in the inbox. Now we are unable to understand how to manage different folders as there is only one file and we cannot create folders in that file. We have to send different mails to different folders depending on the filters. So plz help us in this problem. Also we have to do spam control and custom filters we want to know if the mail server itself manages the spam and filters or we have to use some database for it say for addressbook also.

We are using the linux platform for implementation and we have a live IP on a running linux server with Apache Web Server, Sendmail mail server, PHP as language used for coding and MySql as database.

Waiting for a quick reply!!
Salman Zafar
Salman Zafar
salmanzafar3
Cadet

WLM: salmanzafar3@hotmail.com

Postby farhantoqeer » Thu May 12, 2005 12:21 pm

i dont know about sendmail but i think you have to intercept your email first and your script would determine where to put that email.

I cant understand why are you re-inventing the wheel.
http://www.squirrelmail.org/
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
farhantoqeer
Major General

Main Problem

Postby salmanzafar3 » Thu May 12, 2005 12:41 pm

Hi!

My main problem is how to create mail folders(plz note not ordinary folders rather mail folders) with the inbox of a user.
Transfering mail to any folder is not a big problem but the pt which stops us is how to create mail folders???????????

Waitnig for reply
Salman Zafar
salmanzafar3
Cadet

WLM: salmanzafar3@hotmail.com

Re: Main Problem

Postby lambda » Thu May 12, 2005 3:06 pm

salmanzafar3 wrote:My main problem is how to create mail folders(plz note not ordinary folders rather mail folders) with the inbox of a user.

that's easy. add a header to every message like "X-Mail-Folder: Sent" or whatever.

be sure to start the header with "X-" because that way you're unlikely to clash with a header used by some other app.
lambda
Major General

Postby ashariqbal » Fri May 13, 2005 12:48 pm

If you want to create folders then you cannot use POP3. You have to use IMAP.
ashariqbal
Havaldaar

Return to “%s” Programming