Running Widows Application on Linux

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.
fawad.dev
Cadet

Running Widows Application on Linux

Post by fawad.dev »

Hi,
I know this similar question is asked before.
I develop an application in VB 6. and one of my client want that application on Linux.
I heared about WINE, MONO and VMwear.

1. WINE.
When i installing wine rpm file on linux it gives an error that u need glibc so what is glibc and where can i find glibc.

2. MONO.
i didnt try yet because it works with .net technology.

3. VMware.
its 2 slow. and not a best solution for running windows application on linux.

Please Give me a suggestion that Whats the best Solution for Running Windows Application on Linux.
or
Fastest way to converting this application.

Thanks,
Fawad[/b]
usamahashimi

Post by usamahashimi »

Dear fawad.dev
Try "Win4Lin" or "CrossOver Office"
Anjum Butt
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by Anjum Butt »

The problem you are facing seems to be more of using an outdated linux distribution.
I am going to assume that you tried using a recent version Wine on RedHat Linux 9. If this is the case, there are two possible solutions.

1. [recommended] Look for an older version of wine made for RedHat 9.
2. Upgrade RedHat 9 to CentOS and use a recent version of Wine made for either of CentOS / FedoraCore3 / RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.

I hope this will solve your issue.

Do understand that support for programmes created with VB may or may not work at all under wine.
More will follow :)

Anjum Butt
Registered Linux User #314299
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear fawad.dev,
Salam,
When i installing wine rpm file on linux it gives an error that u need glibc so what is glibc and where can i find glibc.
Install GLIBC and Development Package of GLIBC from your Installation CD's !!

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
AsadRasheed
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

salam

Post by AsadRasheed »

Dear fawad.dev,

Anjum is right ,
I think you have old version of glibc its better to put fc4 if you have good system resources for redhat fans else use slackware :).

Read vmware requirments , if you fullfill the requirements and system is slow then
let me know :).

Regards,
M Asad Rasheed
registered linux user #394856
http://www.bsdpakistan.org
fawad.dev
Cadet

Post by fawad.dev »

Anjum Butt wrote:The problem you are facing seems to be more of using an outdated linux distribution.
I am going to assume that you tried using a recent version Wine on RedHat Linux 9. If this is the case, there are two possible solutions.

1. [recommended] Look for an older version of wine made for RedHat 9.
2. Upgrade RedHat 9 to CentOS and use a recent version of Wine made for either of CentOS / FedoraCore3 / RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.

I hope this will solve your issue.

Do understand that support for programmes created with VB may or may not work at all under wine.
Dear Anjum Butt,
you are right. i am using redhat linux 9 version and using wine latest version. but i could not find old version on net.
the next thing is that.

wine need glibc for running. but when i use rpm file for installing wine it required glibc.
ok. i download glibc which wine is needed. it is also rpm file. when i try to install glibc it says that u already install glibc. on the other hand wine says u need glibc.
what's the problum occured?
if i have the glibc its must be a older version of it thats why it says "u already have a glibc" so how can i uninstall glibc and put new version of glibc.
By the way I am new in Linux :D .

Best regards,
Fawad
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear fawad.dev,
Salam,

I told you, that you need GLIBC and GLIBC-DEVEL Package !!

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
fawad.dev
Cadet

Re:

Post by fawad.dev »

LinuxFreaK wrote:Dear fawad.dev,
Salam,

I told you, that you need GLIBC and GLIBC-DEVEL Package !!

Best Regards.
Dear LinuxFreaK
Salam,

In my previous message i told taht when i install the glibc it says i already have a glibc c.
Its my fault :lol:
because i downloaded the wrong version (glibc-2.3.2-11.9.i686.rpm) of glibc which is already installed.
but wine needed new version (glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7.src.rpm) of glibc.
ok i download glibc-2.3.2-27.9.7.src.rpm and try to install it with this command
rpm -Uvh glibc....
and again its says it need glibc-common version (glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.7.i386.rpm)
ok i downloaded this glibc-common and try to install with this command
rpm -Uvh glibc-common ......
and this command reply is:
glibc-common = 2.3.2-11.9 is needed by (installed) glibc-2.3.2-11.9

Yaar i am too much tired to trying to install wine. and i dont undestand why this depend this and this depend this and so on........

Best Regards,
Fawad
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

use windows or re-write your application
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
fawad.dev
Cadet

Post by fawad.dev »

farhantoqeer wrote:use windows or re-write your application
Dear Farhan Bhai,
As i mention that my client wants application only and only in Linux OS. so windows is not an option.

Ok if i choose re-write an application. so what the best tools for developing an application for linux?

Best Regards,
Fawad
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear fawad.dev,
Salam,

Depends upon on which language you can write your application !!

In my Openion Go for python !!

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

I have doubt that we can fetch some good professionals with hand on experience over python as i am unable to find a good resource of PHP so far :). To me Java/PHP are good choices.
A: Yes
Q: Is top-posting bad?
fawad.dev
Cadet

about wine installation

Post by fawad.dev »

Salam,
All

Guys I am successfully install wine. BUT
with wine source file.

thanks for advice Freak and Touqir bhai.
yar but its hard to me learn java or pythn. because my client give me only 1 moth for develop and deliver the software.
Anjum Butt
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by Anjum Butt »

Well, you should learn Java or anyother language.
VB6 is dead. and future work will need a new language, so better start learning now.

Although, I am not a java enthusist, but one thing I can say is that its more complete and robust than C# at the moment. The future may be with C#, but most of present business development is done on java.

Although I love Python, its not something that you are going to use in your proprietory projects, because its an interpretive language.
Opensource projects are fine with python.
More will follow :)

Anjum Butt
Registered Linux User #314299
mahin
Major

Re: about wine installation

Post by mahin »

fawad.dev wrote:...... its hard to me learn java or pythn. because my client give me only 1 moth for develop and deliver the software.
Depending upon your needs there is commercial option, no need to learn /re-code it will cost Rs. 6000.00 - Rs.25000.00 approx, advantage of spending this amount will be your VB application will work on Win + Mac + Linux. If your client is unwilling to pay you enough to cover the additional cost then follow any solution suggested above. Prices I have quoted are list price, there is chance that we can persuade them for discount, contact me direct if you are interested.