Cross Platform C/C++ APIs

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Cross Platform C/C++ APIs

Postby JackOfAll » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:29 pm

I have been programming applications using Java and VB6 for a long time now. Have done a lot of web dev work using ASP and PHP as well. I have come to the realization that for programming cross-platform database driven applications Java is a beautiful language but after working on a couple of commercial projects recently I realized that there is very little I can do to keep my Java program safe from being reverse engineered. I have a blog entry about it at http://pathan.blogsome.com .

I have been looking into Open Source solutions for cross-platform C++ APIs which are powerful enough to provide the most widely used features for database driven applications. I came across QT and wxWindows. I also found a cross-platform threading API called zthreads on sf.net.

So now I want to ask the C++ gurus on this forum their experience in developing cross-platform C++ APIs they have used and have been happy with. I am trying to target Windows, Linux, Unix and MacOS.

My aim is to use an API like what Java provides. With a database abstraction layer, a powerful GUI, a cross-platform threading model etc. suilt right into one API. I know there are a lot of different projects which provide code for each one of these features seperately. But having One API to give all features is priceless.

Thanks.
JackOfAll
Cadet

Postby jargon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:24 pm

i was part of a project that used Qt to develop a gui version of an existing c++ application.
turned out nicely across windows, linux, (didn't get time to test on OS X)
jargon
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to “%s” Programming