Mono - Migrate .net applications to Linux

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.

have you heard of Mono

Yes
89%
NO
11%

Total votes: 9

Apurva
Lance Naik

Mono - Migrate .net applications to Linux

Post by Apurva »

Mono provides the necessary software to develop and run .NET client and server applications on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix

Download Mono installer from http://www.mono-project.com/Downloads
nomankhn
Colonel

Re: Mono - Migrate .net applications to Linux

Post by nomankhn »

Apurva wrote:Mono provides the necessary software to develop and run .NET client and server applications on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows, and Unix

Download Mono installer from http://www.mono-project.com/Downloads
Dear Apurva

I am reading docs for that. this is really a nice product.

Regards
Noman Liaquat Khanzada Rajput
Linux means productivity and fun.
NT means 'Not Today'.'XP' what else but 'Xtremely Painful.'
If Linux doesn't have the solution, you have the wrong problem
Linux is like a Red Indian tent: no Windows, no Gates, and an Apache inside!
swatiantigers
Lance Naik

Yeh i have used it i think about 6 months ago

Post by swatiantigers »

hi

mono is a dotnet platform which is platform idependent. but lacks alot of features that are found in the ms vs.net. the team is trying to make available all of the features of .net1.1 and .net 2.0 but still have alot of things pending and under development. that is not that much a big problem but the bigger problem is that it lacks a visual ide. it has an ide but that lacks the power of visual editor. they are still trying to implement it . Any way nice work, great work and alot of hardwork. thanx to the mono project.
give it a try.

thanx alot
Anjum Butt
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by Anjum Butt »

There are points to that. As of its current status, mono is not ready for running any production quality .NET application.

It is still far from being complete .NET 1.1 compliant, .NET 2.0 is an even more longer way.
Problems I have faced with Mono are that most of the .NET applications that are currently being used and developed still rely somehow on ActiveX/COM technology that will probably never be available outside Windows platform.
Also the ADO.NET database components implemented in mono that are part of base .NET 1.0 specification are incomplete and marked inactive by Mono developers.

These things keep current applications from running.
Also Mono provides alternate set of classes that are tied to GNOME/GTK+.
However, I still see Mono as a huge improvement when compared to Wine.
More will follow :)

Anjum Butt
Registered Linux User #314299