Looking For Final Year Project

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Looking For Final Year Project

Postby bios-e » Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:39 pm

Hi

Im looking for a my FYP (Final Year Project). Im intrested in working on Linux. I have previously worked in gcc and know about sockets and stuff. I have also worked on Free BSD UNIX in Cressoft Lahore on mail server.

I could use any help or idea i have a full year so im aiming for something BIG and GRAND!
bios-e
Cadet

Postby fawad » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:14 pm

Big and grand, huh? How abt a VB like IDE but for Python? GUI creation should be WYSIWYG (via Tkinter or wxWindows-python). For bonus point, integrate the debugger into the IDE and have a facility for wrapping up the whole package into a distutils compatible tarball for deployment.
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby kadnan » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:27 am

visual IDE for Phythoin? I heard that there is something on earth called VP(Visual Phython)
any idea about that? i also dont know at all
-adnan
kadnan
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Postby mrkkhattak » Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:45 am

oh... didn't u see/use about Visual Python http://www.activestate.com/Products/Visual_Python/?_x=1

for Bios ... If you are looking for a big & grand ! Fawad's idea is great, but beside that u could also use KDevelop for any big developments ... or just give a try to any existing Open Source projects & translate that to Urdu ... !
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

WLM: mrkkhattak
Yahoo Messenger: mrkkhattak
AOL: mrkkhattak

Postby bios-e » Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:35 pm

Gathering from the link provided by "mrkkhattak" visual python is for Windows and u want me to make one for linux GUI's Right. Well the idea is good but ill have to look into it. But thankz for the idea..

If any one has any more ideas my ears are all open. :twisted:
bios-e
Cadet

Postby fawad » Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:07 pm

Meraj, Visual Python is not a complete IDE, and as bios-e pointed out, it's only for Windows. In fact, it's only for Visual Studio .NET. The current best IDE for Python is Komodo from Activestate. That is based on the Mozilla framework, but it's not free software. I was thinking something with the ease of use of Visual Basic. None of the above tools allow you to visually draw a GUI for your apps or handle GUI events like VB does. Something like that would be a great boost for the opensource community. The python debugger already exists. All bios-e would have to do is integrate it with this prospective GUI (easier said than done, huh? :D ).
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby mrkkhattak » Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:42 am

hmm... I gave the link of Visual Python only for Adnan :wink: ... ! Beside that I agree with ur idea for bios-e ... he can work out on that & I hope u or anyone else would be able to help him ...
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

WLM: mrkkhattak
Yahoo Messenger: mrkkhattak
AOL: mrkkhattak

Re: Looking For Final Year Project

Postby somebody » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:13 pm

Hi Bios-e!
You may give a try to the realtime linux (RTLinux) and build some embedded system using it. This is a new area of research and I think it will be a very good project if you do it.
PC technology has gone very cheap in comparison with Microcontroller based systems. Now when linux has cameup with this realtime feature I think its time to use it to develop low cost embedded systems . It can give a real edge over the conventionaly made embedded systems.

There may be numerous projects using rtlinux:

Inudstrial Controller (for automating any process)
A data aquisition system
Trafic light controller
and many other

here are some links about realtime linux:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8073314981.html

regards
somebody

Return to “%s” Programming