Programming with Lua

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.

What's the scripting language of your choice?

Bash
18%
Csh
No votes
Python
27%
Perl
9%
Ruby
No votes
Lua
9%
C/C++
36%
Java
No votes

Total votes: 11

solutionguy
Cadet

Programming with Lua

Post by solutionguy »

Dear All,

Please post any Lua (www.lua.org) Programming resources you know about. I see this language as a very simple alternate to the heavyweights that proves to be quick, easy and effective for a sysadmin.

If you are new to Lua, do consult http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_programming_language before voting ....

Thanks.
chmod a-x /bin/chmod
lambda
Major General

Re: Programming with Lua

Post by lambda »

solutionguy wrote: If you are new to Lua, do consult http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_programming_language before voting ....
why before voting? your poll is about scripting languages of our choice. if someone hasn't used or heard of lua before voting, it's unlikely that they'll change their language of choice after reading the wiki page. i mean, language of choice implies something you actually use.

while lua is faster than some of the alternatives, its problem is that it doesn't have anything like this, or this (as far as i can tell). without a good set of ready-to-use modules (or libraries, or components, whatever you want to call them), you might have to do more work to solve a particular problem. for example, lua (at least, 5.0) doesn't have a regex implementation.
solutionguy
Cadet

Post by solutionguy »

I agree with you about shortage of modules/libraries for Lua, but I can recall Python and Ruby also started out thin on these. Keeping in mind the comparative age of Lua, it might grow from that aspect in the years to come.
chmod a-x /bin/chmod
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

solutionguy wrote:Keeping in mind the comparative age of Lua, it might grow from that aspect in the years to come.
that depends on whether it's a design goal or not. ruby started out the same year as lua, by the way. python's only two years older (1991).
abdul_mateen
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by abdul_mateen »

I think you are surely mistaken C/C++ are not generally scripting languages but they are generally real world langauges and other langugaes such as Perl and Python are built onto ANSI C.

Well! I donot think you can call C/C++ scripting languages they have much called compiled languages scripting languages generally are interpreted one.

Python is the best scripting language really best easy to program and maintain.I am learning it and writing some of the adminstrative applications.

Correct me if I am wrong!
Abdul Mateen,
Google Android Developer & Linux Administrator
Addictive Mobility,CA
www.addictivemobility.com.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

perl and python are also "real world languages". their runtimes do not need to be implemented on c, by the way (see jython, pypy and jruby as examples).

many scripting languages are also compiled. it all depends on their implementation. perl and python are compiled, ruby isn't (at present; this will change soon).
abdul_mateen
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by abdul_mateen »

So that's mean that there is not much different between C/C++ and the scripting languages.
Abdul Mateen,
Google Android Developer & Linux Administrator
Addictive Mobility,CA
www.addictivemobility.com.