Java Programming in Linux Plafform (Help Required)

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.

Java Programming in Linux Plafform (Help Required)

Postby sakbar » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:19 pm

AOA

I HAVE PROGRAMMING IN JAVA ON WINDOWS ENVIRONMENT.

DOWNLOADED JDK 1.3 FOR LINUX
INSTALLED IT !!

NOW I NEED SOME INFORMATION:

ANY ONE WORKED IN JAVA ON LINUX PLATFORM:

* ANY GOOD EDITOR FOR RUNNING JAVA PROGRAMS & CHECKING THEM
* HOW I WOULD ENTER MY PATHS OF JDK DIRECTORY IN LINUX (IAM NEW TO LINUX)

* ANY GOOD SITES FOR JAVA PROGRAMMING ON THE LINUX PLATFORM.

TIA
SHAKEEL
sakbar
Naik

WLM: sakbar76
Yahoo Messenger: shakeel_akbar

Postby fawad » Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:59 pm

First of all, posting a message in all caps is likely to get you flamed from all directions. Please refrain from doing that in the future. Trust me, it doesn't encourage people to pay attention to your message.

First of all, download the JDK from http://java.sun.com/. There are other JDKs available (for different requirements) but the Sun JDK should be quite good for now. The RPM will install the JDK in /usr/java/jdk???. You can install the tarball pretty much anywhere. I usually make a symlink form /usr/java/jdk?? to /usr/java/jdk to make usage consistent between JDK releases. Also put

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk
export JDK_HOME=${JAVA_HOME}
export PATH=${PATH}:${JDK_HOME}/bin

in your .bash_profile. That'll ensure that the environment is all set for the IDEs.

Then, download Forte for Java (again from Sun's site) or Netbeans http://www.netbeans.org/. Both are really excellent IDEs based on the Netbeans framework. Forte is a Sun value added product which is for free, but not Opensource. Netbeans is opensource. Pick your poison. The documentation for both IDEs is good enough to get you up and running.

The Sun Java website has been perfect for all my (quite limited) Java development needs.
fawad
Site Admin

WLM: fawadhalim@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: fawad2048
AOL: fawadhalim

Postby Tauseef » Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:41 am

Try JBuilder. It comes with both Linux and Windows versions on same CD ... And it is the best selling Java RAD world-wide...

Tauseef
Tauseef
Naik

Yahoo Messenger: tauseefshazad@yahoo.com

Postby digitalsurgeon » Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:20 pm

or try www.eclipse.org it great and u'll love it on linux ! though it doesn't have GUI development stuff but java gui development is easy ( don't u think )
digitalsurgeon
Naik

WLM: ahmadpak@hotmail.com

Postby fawad » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:49 pm

My personal favorite IDE is Netbeans because it is pretty much plug and play. Just extract the archive and run bin/runide.sh. It also has a lot of nifty features like a database explorer, solid CVS integration, integrated Tomcat server etc. I'd definitely recommend Netbeans for a goodish machine.

I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get eclipse running on Linux (runs out of the box on Windows, though). Once it's running, Eclipse is really neat. For one thing, it is a lot more responsive than Netbeans (due to it's use of native widgets instead of swing???).

Try out both IDEs to see which one you like better.
fawad
Site Admin

Postby mrkkhattak » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:04 pm

what about IBM visual age ... ? did anybody try that or not ?
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

WLM: mrkkhattak
Yahoo Messenger: mrkkhattak
AOL: mrkkhattak

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:05 pm

VisualAge is not half as good as JBuilder. JBuilder has the lead over any Java Tool in the market on any OS. Whats more ? It runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac out of the box form same CD ....

The only serious competition is Oracle JDeveloper Or Sun Forte for Java

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:06 pm

VisualAge is not half as good as JBuilder. JBuilder has the lead over any Java Tool in the market on any OS. Whats more ? It runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac out of the box form same CD ....

VisualAge shows ages old interface of IBM. I received it form IBM on their Free promoCD but it is not half as good ...

Postby Tauseef » Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:09 pm

Sorry posted above message without logging in ...

Tauseef
Tauseef
Naik

Yahoo Messenger: tauseefshazad@yahoo.com

Postby mrkkhattak » Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:05 pm

I somewhere read/heard that IBM Visual Age has been chosen the best Java IDE in US from the past 1-2 years. So I thought it may be a good tool :-)
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

WLM: mrkkhattak
Yahoo Messenger: mrkkhattak
AOL: mrkkhattak

Postby Adnan Siddiqi » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:41 pm

well i havn`t used Jbuilder on linux, used on Win machine,problem with Jbuilder it that it uses its own class starts with prefix "J"
so where ever you deploy Jbuilder app, you have to copy Jclasses as well
Adnan Siddiqi

Postby gh4z4nf4r » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:11 am

Anonymous wrote:VisualAge is not half as good as JBuilder. JBuilder has the lead over any Java Tool in the market on any OS. Whats more ? It runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac out of the box form same CD ....

what about the licensing of jbuilder and jdeveloper i mean they are not free.....then anyone from Forte,netbeans and eclipse is the best option?????????
gh4z4nf4r
Naik

WLM: gh4z4nf4r@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: gh4z4nf4r@yahoo.com

Postby fawad » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:19 am

gh4z4nf4r wrote:
Anonymous wrote:VisualAge is not half as good as JBuilder. JBuilder has the lead over any Java Tool in the market on any OS. Whats more ? It runs on Windows, Linux, Solaris, Mac out of the box form same CD ....

what about the licensing of jbuilder and jdeveloper i mean they are not free.....then anyone from Forte,netbeans and eclipse is the best option?????????

gh4z4nf4r, forte ~= netbeans. forte and netbeans have the same relationship netscape communicator and mozilla do. Snapshots of the netbeans code are tested, value added and labelled as forte. Eclipse is a completely different beast. eclipse uses swt as a windowing toolkit, so is a lot more responsive than netbeans (which uses swing). My personal choice among the two is netbeans due to it's wider capabilities and easy installation (eclipse is a pain in the rear end to configure). However, eclipse is becoming mature quite fast and it has a lot of potential. Try out both before you make your decision.
fawad
Site Admin

Postby gh4z4nf4r » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:28 pm

fawad my java classes had just started thats why im puzzeled about the selection of tools. All i want to do is use the ones that will help me learn java and would also be suitable for my this new love i.e linux
gh4z4nf4r
Naik

WLM: gh4z4nf4r@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: gh4z4nf4r@yahoo.com

Postby farhantoqeer » Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:00 pm

Netbeans is perfect!
www.netbeans.org
farhantoqeer
Major General

Return to “%s” Programming