modem using in linux

Taking care of your Linux box.
farhanksa
Subedar

is there any noise in ur tel line

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
disconnection r maily bcz of disconnection and also for the not fully compatiability with the isp ras but its a very rare case.
pls check ur tel line byess any single digint and just hold and hear carefully
how many joinnts r thre in ur tel wire which u r plugging into the modem

well my xperience is lusing kppp is the best choice and surely query modem before dialing
try to use the kppp of 7.3
gh4z4nf4r
Naik

Post by gh4z4nf4r »

salam all,
i never did checked the wire before ...now when i did so i found hell lot of cuts and it is like rope tied ti hang clothes :lol: this is all cause it ends up one street ahead of mine..planning to change it....

i had tried two modems with my RH 7.3 .one is motorolla SM56 and other one is Intel 536ep .found the drivers for both of them but every time i ran make and make install errors would come up ...

Then i found precompiled modules 536epcore.o and 536ep.o from Intel's site .this thing worked for me i only had to create a sym link to /dev/modem and issue this command
/sbin/insmod -f 536epcore.o
/sbin/insmod -f 536ep.o

and then dial from kppp which works fine most of the time
farhanksa
Subedar

well u have to find out the correct rpm or source

Post by farhanksa »

i had tried motorola sm 56 modem on rh7.1 bcz its onlly rpm is available
it works fine
well i didnt tried the other one u r talking about let be see i have to look at the modem and its source well me and newbie and many of other fellows had posted lots of posts regardin the modems pls do serch them and read them

yar the best and easiest way is it use the isa hard modem having jumpers
the + point is that the noise resistant relay of isa modems is more powerful then thepci modem
well old is gold :)
but problem is this that new boards donjt have isa slot thats y u have to work hard from configureing the pci modem