How to Configure DNS Server according to Local ISP

Taking care of your Linux box.

How to Configure DNS Server according to Local ISP

Postby dotcom » Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:42 am

Hello,
Can some one plz tell me how to configure DNS server or Bind Configuration, of Local DNS of ISP the situation as follows,

i had successfully configured Squid, and IP Chains, clients are running on squid perfectly, now i m trying to get them directly connected to internet, i add dns on client of my Linux Box server, and Gateway too, but when i tried www.google.com error comes Cannot find server or DNS error, but when i type the DNS of that web site like 216.239.33.101 it is Google.com, it is opening perfectly , well i think that my DNS server or Name Resolution server is not configured perfectly according to the DNS of ISP , well plz tell me how to do it
Nobody is Perfect in this world, and I am Nobody ;)
dotcom
Cadet

WLM: mrdotcom@myself.com
Yahoo Messenger: zeeshaniqbal@yahoo.com

Re: How to Configure DNS Server according to Local ISP

Postby umro_ayyar » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:26 pm

dotcom wrote:Hello,
Can some one plz tell me how to configure DNS server or Bind Configuration, of Local DNS of ISP the situation as follows,

i had successfully configured Squid, and IP Chains, clients are running on squid perfectly, now i m trying to get them directly connected to internet, i add dns on client of my Linux Box server, and Gateway too, but when i tried www.google.com error comes Cannot find server or DNS error, but when i type the DNS of that web site like 216.239.33.101 it is Google.com, it is opening perfectly , well i think that my DNS server or Name Resolution server is not configured perfectly according to the DNS of ISP , well plz tell me how to do it

Kindly answer the following to ensure that you problem is solved.

1. you have squid running on separate linux box ?
2. your gateway is separate computer ?
3. you want to run bind on separate computer ?
4. your internet connection type.?
5. what do you mean by direct connection to internet for the users ?
6. is the DNS server error coming on the client machine or on the linux box running squid?
Linus is user friendly; it's just picky about its friends
umro_ayyar
Cadet

Re: How to Configure DNS Server according to Local ISP

Postby zafarameer » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:41 am

dotcom wrote:Hello,

HI DEAR I AM AN ISP ADMINISTRATOR..ANY HELP NEED PLZZ SEND ME MAIL zafarameer@yahoo.com

regards
zafar bin ameer
Be A Helping Hand 4 Others...
zafarameer
Cadet

WLM: schonde@hotmail.com
Yahoo Messenger: zafarameer@yahoo.com

Postby linuxgeek » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:20 am

heylo there ...

check out /etc/resolv.conf on ur linux box and put in the dns servers of your isp there in this format

nameserver dnsserveripnumber1
nameserver dnsserveripnumber2

cheers

--uppal
Junaid Saeed Uppal
uppal at linux dot net dot pk
Cell : +92.345.8586045
linuxgeek
Site Admin

AOL: pakipenguin

Return to “%s” Administration