CD's - Linux & Open Source

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
mahin
Major

CD's - Linux & Open Source

Post by mahin »

This is to confirm availability of following at Karachi:

Ref:# Source Total CD's Description

10701 PLUC 7 Debian 3.0 r0
20101 PLUC 1 SlackWare Ver.8.1
30201 PLUC 2 FREE-BSD Ver.4.6.2
40101 PLUC 1 EnGarde Linux [ Secure Linux Distro ]
50301 PLUC 3 Mandrake Ver.8.2
60301 PLUC 3 Linux Terminal Server [ RH 7.3 based ]
70301 PLUC 3 Red Hat 8.0 { pending }
80301 PLUC 3 Mandrake 9.0 { pending }
90201 PLUC 2 FREE-BSD Ver.4.7 { pending }
xxxxx Comm 3 Red Hat 8.0 { see note # 3}

Note #1.

All PLUC CD's except 60301 can be purchased from CD World Shop F-49 First Floor, Rainbow Center Karachi: Phone 7785247. Available on order meaning you have to place order and then pick up. Alternately you can place order at CD@pakban.net also, please note the difference in price explained in Note#4.

Note #2.

CD # 60301 is for the time being available from PLUC office only. This is what is known as LTSP [ http:www.ltsp.org ] and its adaptation for Pakistan done by Lutfullah Kakakhel [ http:www.Ataleeq.edu.pk ] which makes it easy to use 386/486/Diskless terminals in Net Work. Great for Educational Institutions/ Cyber Cafe and Cable Internet [ DCN's - Desi Cable Network ] service providers.

Note # 3

Red Hat 8.0 in 3CD is available in market. Please visit Karachi Computer Shop F-126 First Floor, Rainbow Center. Price is Rs.90.00 for 3 CD but if you identify that you are PLUC member then you are entitled to a discount of Rs. 5.00 only per CD. If any problem [ don't foresee any ] ask for Mr Aamir Mahmood and inform him of my name [ Tariq from Linux Pakistan ] still any problem, please inform me at CD@pakban.net.

Note # 4

If you want to order through us [ being out of Karachi or for what ever reason ] then we will add Rs.5.00 per CD plus actual cost. If you need CD to be mailed / sent through Courier then you add the actual cost only, no handling charges.

Money order is cheapest means to pay followed by a cheque drawn on any branch of any bank in Karachi followed by Payorder. Do not use your out of Karachi account cheque for payments, this is most expensive. Please send us email at Cd@pakban.net for more details, you will receive reply with-in 24 hours positively. If you do not hear from us with-in this time then please re-send your message.

Note # 5

The CD's marked pending are on way and we hope to have them soon. What we have identified being from PLUC means that it has been checked and confirmed to be working at least by one member.

Any questions/suggestions please mail to CD@pakban.net

Location: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/images/plu ... egular.png
aamircutlery
Cadet

Unable to install Red Hat Linux 8.0

Post by aamircutlery »

I've purchase RedHat 8.0 CD set (3 CDs) but when it asks for CD 2 during installation, after installing a package it gives an error like following:

unable to find <some file/package>

and after display a dialog box or two it terminates installation.

A tried to install from another CD set to be sure that media is ok. But no success.

Can anybody help me ???

My Cell No. is : 0333-2107669 (karachi based no.)

Thanx in advance
Muhammed Aamir
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Re: CD's - Linux & Open Source

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

Aamir... kindly see following guidline given by mahin... thx
mahin wrote: Note #1.

All PLUC CD's except 60301 can be purchased from CD World Shop F-49 First Floor, Rainbow Center Karachi: Phone 7785247. Available on order meaning you have to place order and then pick up. Alternately you can place order at CD@pakban.net also, please note the difference in price explained in Note#4.

Any questions/suggestions please mail to CD@pakban.net

Location: http://www.linuxpakistan.net/images/plu ... egular.png
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
------------------------------------
if
Winwun
Cadet

Post by Winwun »

Is the Debian 3.0r0 stable, Non-US or Official release? Does it contain the source code as well?

Anyone who tried it out... please give feedback about any problems?
Winwun
Cadet

Post by Winwun »

I went to the shop as informed in the post by mahin but they have moved down to the ground floor. Their address is

Shop# G-55, Rainbow Centre
email: cdworldg55@hotmail.com
mobile: 03002272315 (Muhammad Asif)

But I must tell you that he is not giving the Distros on Rs.30/ per CD but on Rs.50/ per CD. I dont mean to insult anyone but the guy at this shop knows very little about linux, if you'll aks him questions about the version or the OS, he wont be helpful. I asked him about the version of Debian he was giving and unfortuantely he wasn't sure.
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

I would recommend you to send an email to CD@pakban.net if u need any of the CDs in the list.

-Regards,

-Meraj
aamircutlery
Cadet

Post by aamircutlery »

I purchased the CD set of RedHat Linux 8.0 from Karach Computer Computer Shop. but when I installed it gives me following error during installation from CD 2:

The file /mnt/sysimage/var/tmp/XFree86-xauth4.2.0-7.2i386.rpm cannot be opened. This is due to missing file, a bad package, or bad media. press <return to continue.

This is the same error with same file name that I had experienced with two previous CD sets.

When I browse CD from Windows explorer (to be sure that media is OK and file is there) the mentrioned file was there and could be copied on deskop.

Aamir
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Aamir, the Redhat CD set has a self-check facility. Please run that on all the cds before starting an installation (especially with a new media set).
aamircutlery
Cadet

Post by aamircutlery »

Thanx Fawad, I'll do it but but this wont be the solution. What wil I do if media is OK ? what will I do if media is not OK ? how can three different set of CDs can be bad and the same file ??

Isn't there anyone who can talk to me on ph. ??

My ph. no. is 0333-2107669 (Karachi based no.)

Thanx
Aamir
mahin
Major

Problem with RH CD's

Post by mahin »

Seems weird as we are all using RH CD's burnt from same master we have to investigate to solve your problem and save other from facing same in future.

Will get in touch with you.
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

winwim!
i hv installed debian 3.0 from that given distro and it is working!