wts difference btween partition types

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
farhanksa
Subedar

wts difference btween partition types

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
wts diff btwen linux native or etx2 ..welll i think both r same but coonfusion is does both have the partition id = 83
i mean does linuxnative..ext2 or ext 3 have same ID

problem took place when i was installing the rh 7.3 after installing 7.1
it says that swap already exists .....it was not letting me go forward with out formating the swap partiton..........
i first wanted to make the seprate swap for 7.3 then i planed to use the same swap of 7.1

another q? is wt the other use of the swap other than virtaull memory...swapping..temp caching...kind of temp ram....................io think when i reboot then swap initializes from start its a kind of volatile partition
does the 7.1 and 7.3 have different swap allocation table ....wts the reason 7.3 was insisting me to fromat it under 7.3?????????
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

ext3 = ext2 + jounalized filesystem

both have same partition id 83 . which is called linux native now it depends on you that either you format it as ext2 or ext3. you can easily convert an ext2 partition to ext3 or ext3 to ext2 without losing any data.
"tune2fs -j /dev/hd??" will make an ext2 an ext3.
and "tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hd??" will make an ext3 an ext2.

now for jounalized filesystem search google.because i dont know it very well.

and a swap is a swap not a joke, redhat doesnt make their own swaps which are usable by 1 version and not by other.even 1 swap partition can be shared with all flavours of linux or bsd and also heared that you can use it in windows.
farhanksa
Subedar

ya i know thx bvt swap

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
yar y its necessary to format again the swap as i want it to use it by other rh ...y it dont let me go forward
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Farhan,
Yes swap _is_ volatile memory. As it is a portion of your memory, it's actually a good idea to clean it up (OpenBSD goes far as to encrypt the swap). The swap doesn't have to be a seperate partition. It can be a file within your root partition. Making it a seperate partition supposedly makes it a little faster. Formatting it wouldn't matter; 7.2 and 7.3 can share it just the same. And I'm pretty sure Redhat will let you not format a partition from the partition druid.