new user need help

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

new user need help

Post by if »

sorry guys ... i posted my first topic in instalaltion head.... now i again posted it in general head with some alteration...

i'm new user of linux, i just install linux 7.3 on my system. I need help regarding basic thing kindly reply me in following regards.

1. c / c++ (program writing, compiling, running and editing etc. on console / terminal prompt)
2. basic of tar, gzip and other programs files.... how to install / use them .... and how can i built them by myself.

and any esle u brothers want to tell me ... which guide me to a permanent user of linux. and plz don't post site links....

thx
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
if
Muddassir
Lance Naik

Post by Muddassir »

first of all i would like to welcome you in the linux world.

as i have told you that you can use gcc to compile program in linux from the shell. many IDE are also available

compression utility is also available by default in linux 7.3 distribution. just right click the zipped file it will give you option to extract

hope answer will help you
Muddassir Sayeed siddiqui
Linux User # 282980
Muddassir
Lance Naik

Re: new user need help

Post by Muddassir »

if wrote: ... which guide me to a permanent user of linux. and plz don't post site links....

thx

For your information the best linux resources are available on websites so to study linux you must give time on the informative website. many books are also available on internet.
Muddassir Sayeed siddiqui
Linux User # 282980
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Like Mudassir pointed out earlier, if you are not willing to look around on the web for info, Linux is not for you. The sad truth is that Linux is a rapidly moving target, so any info you can get from a treeware book will get outdated pretty fast. Your best bet is to start out with a set of select sites (Google, tldp, linux.com, or pluc), and move on from there for specialized stuff.

As far as usage is concerned, you don't need to look around for info about that. Just find out what command you wanna use, then read it's man page. The vast majority of Unix commands have a man page for them, and people are rapidly filling the void. You either run man from the commandline or type #commandname from Konqueror for help.
if

thx

Post by if »

AoA,

thx fawad and mudassair 4 help.... i've appox. 24 net faciliity but... i'm interested in basic of c/c++ programs writing / compiling / linking / object creating etc. basic 4 linux only... plz tell me links .... but .... these must be straight forward to my concerns.... okay.... i think u ppl got my point.

i got msn massenger from following link..... that great ...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/amsn/

thx 4 reply
please guide me... thx
if
Electron707
Cadet

installtion help!

Post by Electron707 »

Well as far as using the tar utiltiy and installation, i can give u the most used command, if u have downloaded the source of some program, which is in ".tar.gz" format, do the following:

#tar xzvf <filename>

the above will extract the contents of the file in a subdirectory, mostly with the same name as that of archieve, then go in the directory and do the following:

#./configure
#make
#make install

the above method works with most of the programme, i am not going in the depeth of installation, rather just showing u the most used steps. there is a README included in every programe, after extraction DO READ IT, for installtion help.
i hope it helps!
The Software required win95, 98, XP or better....So, I selected LINUX!

Owais Sharaq!
if

thx

Post by if »

AoA,

thx electron707.... i got it.... plz do help me in future... any tip 4 newbie.
please guide me... thx
if