Thanks Allot.......Redhat or mandrake?

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
waqassonic
Cadet

Thanks Allot.......Redhat or mandrake?

Post by waqassonic »

Please tell me what is the difference b/w redhat and mandrake? cause i am not sure which one to choose and are the commands in both the same?
S-ONIC
hameedkhan
Havaldaar

Post by hameedkhan »

Hi,
you should go for Mandrake. after some experience you can choose other distros. The is not much difference. basic commands are same. but Red hat have redhat-* commands never used RedHat so cant say much about it. But, i personally think Mandrake is very good for linux newbies. i even started with Mandrake.
Thanks,
Hameed U. Khan
Linux User #: 354374
linx9
Naik

Post by linx9 »

would suggest to use red hat linux 9 first. As it almost detects all the hardware without much problems. Learn how to use basic commands, installing rpms, upgrading kernels etc. then switch to other one if u want to...

I'm using FC2 at the moment..
barlas
Naib Subedar

Post by barlas »

Asalaam-u-Alikum!
linx9 wrote:would suggest to use red hat linux 9 first. As it almost detects all the hardware without much problems. Learn how to use basic commands, installing rpms, upgrading kernels etc. then switch to other one if u want to...
But isn't Red Hat 9 outdated now? Mandrake detects almost all hardware too and is more easier to get started with, imho

Barlas
Aqeel Zafar