What about Java5?

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.
saquib_javed
Naib Subedar

Post by saquib_javed »

Salam farhantoqeer,

I think I'll be using Java 8)

ThanX
Use Linux and feel Free.
OR
Feel free to use Linux. ;)
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,
That said, the choice of a tool is really dependent on the application scenario. Creating a guestbook page for your personal website? Use PHP. Creating the next amazon.com? Use Java/.NET.
I know you wrote this sentence only to illustrate the difference b/w PHP & Java/.Net. But I see the difference is very large :-) Do you really think that difference b/w PHP & Java/.Net is that much huge ( guest book | amazon ) ?I also have Yahoo! Finance in mind :P

As you also mentioned phpGTK, I won't recommend it for using on a real desktop application, but I would certainly recommend PHP to use for any application that you are going to write for the web whether it is a large one or a small one.

Farhan, If it were a web application I will use PHP. For desktop, no idea :-)

Regards,

-Meraj
hamdan
Lance Naik

Post by hamdan »

Yar! Guys Java Development is a complete community process. So associating it with sun will not be that much of a good idea : )
Check out http://www.jcp.org/

Secondly features of Java are not that much subject to market-pressure, I mean in/out with in the libraries is highly debated before they are finalized. Therefore it is much (much) more mature then its counter part, and of course globally market adoption is a plus point. So JAVA is here-to-say Buddies.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

farhantoqeer wrote:What programming language you use if you are going to write a desktop application (Inventory, Accounts, HR/Payroll etc etc) with mixed clients using Linux, Windows?
actionscript.
hamdan
Lance Naik

Post by hamdan »

Man! There is a BIG difference b/w ‘programming languages’, ‘scripting languages’ and ‘markup languages’ so your actionscript (scripting language very much similar to JavaScript) is not under-consideration ;) here
n3m3sis
Havaldaar

Post by n3m3sis »

so do we all agree that Java5 is a milestone for java development, it will provide java the neccessary edge over competing languages (C#)?

Java is a open community project (JCP) whereas c# is an elite developer community (MSDN) project which takes strong direction form Microsoft.

As Linux proves, open community is more sucessful in the long term
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

bzzt, wrong.
n3m3sis, If anything, java5 brings it closer to C#. You'll want to compare the implementation of Java and C# generics (interview with Anders Hejlsberg here).

Despite the JSR process, Java is not an open standard whereas the CLI and c# are (ISO (C#, CLI), ECMA (C#, CLI) ). How many standards bodies has Java (the language and the runtime) been submitted to? (Hint, the number is very close to 0). Microsoft on the other hand, submitted the specification of the upcoming CLI and C# language to ECMA before their first beta version was published.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

hamdan wrote:Man! There is a BIG difference b/w ‘programming languages’, ‘scripting languages’ and ‘markup languages’ so your actionscript (scripting language very much similar to JavaScript) is not under-consideration ;) here
more people have flash installed than java, or .net.
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

To second lambda's message, Laszlo was opensourced recently which is an excellent platform for delivering rich apps over flash.
swatiantigers
Lance Naik

The Testing release of java

Post by swatiantigers »

Hi
My Name Is AnEeS Bhai( Programming Name ). Im A java developer.
in the first article on java 5 i have readed a line java 5 open source so here is the link to java5 sourceSource
J2se 5 updat1 is also available.

j2se6 snapshot release is also available i will post a link about it soon.............
Enjoy :) :!:
Last edited by swatiantigers on Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swatiantigers
Lance Naik

J2se6.0 SnapShot Release 5

Post by swatiantigers »

Mustung the code name for java J2se6.0 is released and is available for download from java.net.

Story Link: http://www.java.net/download/jdk6/binaries/

Sun Microsystems has released the fifth snapshot release of J2SE 6.0. A changelog of bugs and added features is available from the project. It is available for downloads on Windows, Solaris & Linux.

To read More About Mustung click here
J2se6.0

Enjoy:)
swatiantigers
Lance Naik

Java is ocean

Post by swatiantigers »

Hi
Once again im here;
Java is completely different from C#. java is an ocean if u dived once into it. you can came out of it again :) Lolz
java is the software that powers the Mars Rover(from java.com)
java has alot of tools and api's. it covers from mobile phones to mainframe computers and much more... Sun estimates the total Java Economy to be more than $100 billion in sales annually driving an additional $110 billion in related IT spending.The Java economy includes 750 million Java Cards, 650 million PCs shipped with Java, 579 million Java Powered phones, and 100 telecommunications carriers who deploy Java technology.To read More Visit Here
swatiantigers
Lance Naik

Documentation for Mustung

Post by swatiantigers »

Assalam-o- Alaikum And
I m Once Again Here

The Documentation Of Mustung is available here click on the link and the download will start Lolz :)
Docs

If you Wants to see the full list of downloads Visit here
Mustung Downloads
affan
Cadet

What about Python?

Post by affan »

Python (or if you prefer Jython) rules.... it gives you the best of both worlds.... The richness of Java programming libraries plus rapid development/building blocks practices associated with M$ tools.
swatiantigers
Lance Naik

Jython

Post by swatiantigers »

hi
yep python especially jython is the best, combining the power of java and python. it enhances and simplifies java code.
Java:

Code: Select all

for (int i =0; i<100; i++){
        print i
}
Python, Jython:

Code: Select all

for i in range(0,100):
        print i