Berkeley DB

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.
aesthete
Cadet

Berkeley DB

Post by aesthete »

Anyone out there who has used Berkeley DB on Fedora Core 2? Actually I am trying some open source development and for that I need to use Berkeley DB but I am getting stuck at various issues. Just wondering if someone out there has already gone through what I am going through, he/she might be able to help.
lambda
Major General

Re: Berkeley DB

Post by lambda »

what problems are you running into?
aesthete
Cadet

Post by aesthete »

Here is what I have already done. I have installed the DB after building it and also ran the service. I wrote a small program in C++ to test connectivity with the DB and apparently I got connected properly. Now I have the source code of TPC-B benchmark with me, I need to run the benchmark on the DB to test. How do I do that? I am stuck.

Also I need to be absolutely certain that I have the DB up and running with me. How do I make sure of that? I mean is there any indication of any sort that the DB is actually active and I can make transaction on it?
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

the berkeley db (the one from http://www.sleepycat.com/) isn't a "server" that you install. it's just an on-disk database; you get a library of functions to manipulate it. are you sure you're talking about the same db?
aesthete
Cadet

Post by aesthete »

:oops:
I am very new to Berkeley (as well as Linux for that matter) and I was thinking along the lines of the way maybe SQL Server works. I guess this is different. I think I get an idea of exactly how the DB works from the way you described it. It also answers a lot of things that have been confusing me :)
Thanks a lot Lambda ... I owe you one!!!
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

if you want a relational database, i recommend postgresql. it probably ships with your distribution.
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Or if you want a non-server relational database, try SQLLite. I haven't used it myself but a lot of people swear by it (and I think it ships with PHP 5).
aesthete
Cadet

Post by aesthete »

Thanks a lot both of you Lambda and Fawad !!!
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

may i suggest mysql ... its easy and very reliable. sqllite hmm!!

regards
zaeem