linux modems availibility

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
ssaigol
Cadet

linux modems availibility

Post by ssaigol »

Can anyone tell me which internal modems which are Linux compatible are availible in Lahore.

Thanx
farhanksa
Subedar

there a lots of posts regarding modems do read them also

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
mu suggestion is to use external modem may be of 28K or 33K keep in mind that if u have a best pair of tel wire from CABLE CHAMBER of exchange (MDF) then only using the 56K modem u can download maximum of 7KB else average speed is 4Kb - 5KB

or use the ISA modem with jumper settings for com port setting
or at last now a days rockwell,conexant and intel,kucent can be used

btw where r u from and which distribution u had been using/?
khalido
Lance Naik

Post by khalido »

Does anyone know which of the commonly available el-cheapo modems work in linux?

e.g in khi There is basically Zoltrix and (fake) Intel modems.
Does anyone have experience with them?

Hardware external modems cost a lot more than the internal ones, so i am hesitant on installing linux if i have to go buy a new modem.

For use with: Mandrake 9.1
although i presume if a modem works under linux it should work with all distros.
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

in mine opinion CONEXANT modems or any modem with conexant chipset is best to use if you are going for internal software modems.i have configured mine conexant modem on redhat,mandrake,slackware,gentoo,LFS.
but you can use it within linux not in any other UNIX type operating system, for example you cant use it in FreeBSD or SOlaris.
thats why an serial external modems is best choice.because you dont need its driver.
farhanksa
Subedar

newbie murshad master hain modem kay .i am his student ;)

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
ya newbie is rite.conexatn is well as internal..also i think fake intel modem which is detected as some thing haM ambient chipset is also suported but i still suggest u to have a conexant -rockwell ISA modem bcz itss more cheap and its a hard modem bcz of having the jumpers on its board for com port setting
good luck
Aadil
Naik

Post by Aadil »