.net framework for linux

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.
outstream
Naib Subedar

.net framework for linux

Post by outstream »

AoA

hey guys i found out this http://www.mono-project.com/about/index.html
it is some mono project which is like some client for .net framework on open source. i`m terribly running out of my linux space so i was just wondering has any one used it? can any one tell me how much space will it take? or can some one suggest some other good client that helps to install .net frame work on linux?

Thanks
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

it requires a lot of space , there are a lot of libraries, you might be able to install very few of them , not sure how much space you actually have.

the mono project is the the open source initiative to implement a .net clr, it was started by the folks at ximian which was bought out by novell. so if you have .net apps you might be able to run them under linux w/ the mono runtime libraries installed. i;ve used it a might, its quite impressive stuff. the main language is the c# language you might have heard of, but the idea is that you can write in any .net compliant language and run the software , which is the .net philosopy.

ask fawad, he is actually an active developer for this project.
jargon
drlinux
Lance Naik

Post by drlinux »

Salam,
I have used the project,Man u are too late to know about this project.
I have used it a lot of time ago and I used the version 1.0 But that was the verision only supports C# I have installed it for VB but it did not supprt VB.
and it does not run the softwares of .NET smothly.
But a good conecpt.
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

A few comments:
1. If you're short on disk space, install from binary packages (rpm, deb, whatever). Like Jargon mentioned, there are a bunch of libraries it can link against (ICU, Cairo, etc.), so building from source will take enormous amount of disk space. Doubly so if you build from subversion.

2. There is another CLI implementation named portable .net (part of dotgnu), but I don't have enough experience with it to comment on it.

3. drlinux, The mono 1.1.x tree is supposed to have a good enough VB.NET compiler. I haven't used it myself.

I've actually ported a huge .NET app (ASP.NET) from MS .NET to mono without changing a line of code, so it definitely works very well.
outstream
Naib Subedar

Post by outstream »

AoA

well i would like to try this out because

1. i actually want to use it for C# and ASP.NET, and i read on its site that it supports both so i guess it`ll work for me.

2. secondly, i installed .net framework on xp professional and man it takes too long to get installed. now i dont want my .Net framkework crashing everytime with windows and i cannot afford to have 3 hours installation of .net framework after like every 15 days or 1 month. so i thought to give it a try on open source. atleast i wont have tentions regarding crashing of OS.

3. I`m currently using Slackware 10 , which is installed on 10gb partition. so can u guys just give me a rough idea about the things? if i cant install it in this one then i`m ready to extend partition size to 15 to 20gb. would that be fine?

Thanks
Testing?What's that? If it compiles, its good, if it boots up it is perfect.
----------------------------------------------------
Imran
Registered Linux User # 334322
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

outstream wrote:1. i actually want to use it for C# and ASP.NET, and i read on its site that it supports both so i guess it`ll work for me.
it supports c#, sure, but it does not support all of the .net apis that you have access to under windows. in particular, its windows.forms support is far from complete.
2. secondly, i installed .net framework on xp professional and man it takes too long to get installed. now i dont want my .Net framkework crashing everytime with windows and i cannot afford to have 3 hours installation of .net framework after like every 15 days or 1 month. so i thought to give it a try on open source. atleast i wont have tentions regarding crashing of OS.
too long to install it? you must be doing something wrong. it took maybe 5-10 minutes to install it on my three year old box.

i installed the .net 1.1 sdk (free download from microsoft), sharpdevelop, nant, nunit, and i was set.
3. I`m currently using Slackware 10 , which is installed on 10gb partition. so can u guys just give me a rough idea about the things? if i cant install it in this one then i`m ready to extend partition size to 15 to 20gb. would that be fine?
give it as much space as you can spare. why limit yourself?