Multimedia not running properly in linux 8.0(Red Hat)

Taking care of your Linux box.
virtuoso
Cadet

Multimedia not running properly in linux 8.0(Red Hat)

Post by virtuoso »

i have installed red hat linux 8.0 version on my system.really it has nice interface but problem is in multimedia.I have to force xmms from 7.3 version upon it to start my xmms.what is the reason for it,also i want to know that why red hat aren't including a good media player in it so that more no. of users r attracted towards it.

Mind is a terrible thing. :evil: :twisted:
hey freaks ur phobia is in front of u.
Saadi
Lance Naik

Post by Saadi »

I have the same kind of problem with my redhat9 on tecra8000 laptop. for some reason, after successful installation (and yes, i did include sound and video packages during installation), no sound! when i run redhat-config-soundcard, it cannot detect soundcard. never had this problem with 7.2 or 8.0. something is really wrong w/ my setup, the laptop or the drivers...

virtuoso, try running "redhat-config-soundcard" command from the prompt or run "sndconfig" instead. see if it detects the soundcard and gives you options to play with irq and other settings.

or replace the package by reinstalling the sound rpms on the box and then run above commands to troubleshoot.

anyone out there with redhat9 and sound problems, please reply.
thanks!
Aziz Khawaja
Chicago, Il.
Adroit
Cadet

mp3 codec's use has been regularized

Post by Adroit »

Asalam o Alaikum!

As far as I know, there was some issue about the inclusion of the mp3 codec in Redhat Linux... liscensing etc, for that reason, Redhat decided not to include the mp3 codec with XMMS.

Solution: goto XMMS's website, download the latest patch with the mp3 codec, and enjoy whatever you are fond of listening.

Asalam o Alaikum!
:)
Umar Kalim
Software Engineer