how to learn programming over Linux platform?

Discussion of programming on Linux, including shell scripting, perl, python, c/c++, mono, java. Whatever tickles your fancy.
cppkid
Lance Naik

Post by cppkid »

"Advance Linux Programming" is the best book, even its name is Advance linux programming but its equally good for beginers. I start my prog. from it.
Praise the sea, But stay on Land
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

Well there seems to be a major shift in development from desktops to web-browsers for many reasons for instand

1. Your program runs on multiple platforms (Windows/Mac/Linux)
2. Easier Deployment.
3. Thin Clients needed (Just web browsers)

If you want to develop client applications that are not suitable for web-browsers, then I suggest that you either use Java or Mono/CSharp. These two wonderfull environments offer you not only the advantage of being cross-platform, you also get a lot of books/online resources for both Java and CSharp Languages. Both are suitable for 90% of the projects and you can download either one from the web for free !!!.

regards
abdul_mateen
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by abdul_mateen »

Here is the link for tutorials on C++
If u understand C++ Then u will understand Linux C++
There is no much diffrence here.
http://cplus.about.com/library/blcplustut.htm

Some body included here "Advanced Linux Programming" Can u tell me from where do u get it.
Abdul Mateen,
Google Android Developer & Linux Administrator
Addictive Mobility,CA
www.addictivemobility.com.
MAJID
Naik

Post by MAJID »

01101101 01100001 01101010 01101001 01100100
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

Tauseef wrote:If you want to develop client applications that are not suitable for web-browsers, then I suggest that you either use Java or Mono/CSharp.
you'll develop code a lot faster with python.
tahirakram
Lance Naik

Post by tahirakram »

Aslam-0-Alaykum

I hv done a course of my BS program at COMSATS on Unix/Linux System Programming - our instructor recomend 2 books one tht was texbook: "Unix Systems Programming by Kay A. Robins" 2nd refrence : "Begning Linus Programming br WROX"

I like the style of of USP by Robbins, this is availabe in Urdu Bazar Lahore. v good book, if u have done some work in C (pointers, Datastructers, files) then u are at right place to start working on C @ Linux.

if u consider it and want more info, regarding assignments, codes exam question papers, inform me - I will Inshalaah enteratin u
Allah HAfiz
<stoneCode>
Live open or die
MAJID
Naik

Post by MAJID »

Yes tahirakram i am interested in more info, regarding assignments, codes exam question papers,
01101101 01100001 01101010 01101001 01100100
tahirakram
Lance Naik

Post by tahirakram »

Aslam-0-Alaykum MAJID

web site offers resources for the Book "UNIX SYSTEMS PROGRAMMING" by Kay A Robbins.the site also has the link tp simulators, testing tools, course material stc
<stoneCode>
Live open or die