problem configuring modem & mounting ntfs

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
omarmasood
Cadet

problem configuring modem & mounting ntfs

Post by omarmasood »

hello

i have installed redhat linux 8.0 but having problem in configuring modem

i have motorola's sm56 pci modem ,plz help

i am also not being able to mount ntfs partitions , the message is "bash:fs ntfs not supported by kernel"

OMAR MASOOD
nafri
Lance Naik

Re: problem configuring modem & mounting ntfs

Post by nafri »

omarmasood wrote: i have installed redhat linux 8.0 but having problem in configuring modem

i have motorola's sm56 pci modem ,plz help
you may download rpm from http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/data-fax.htm which has been tested with RH 7.1. hope that it works on Rh 8 (i think that it should). also check http://www.linmodems.org/ for detailed information.

since most of the softmodems or winmodems are not *true* modems, i would urge you to invest in an external (serial port, and not USB) modem.

i am also not being able to mount ntfs partitions , the message is "bash:fs ntfs not supported by kernel"
to the best of my knowledge, redhat does not support NTFS mount *officialy*. [ as a corollary RH-derivate distros may not have support too. among the popular non-RH distros, debian and mandrake do have NTFS support.] check "Linux NTFS RedHat Page" at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html to download rpm/.o for a number of redhat versions including RH 8.

beware that *at the moment* "read only" is the safest bet for NTFS mounting on linux; "read/write" is like playing with fire. in any case, many drivers and implementations won't allow you to mount NTFS as R/W.

irfan
Aadil
Naik

Post by Aadil »

Back up your data before doing this.
You would never know unless you do something on your own.
As someone once said,

There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

http://www.linuxexperience.com/tutorials/redhatntfs.php
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

Try Knoppix (Kernel) for accessing NTFS... thx
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
------------------------------------
if
farhanksa
Subedar

u have to

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
for motorola modem u have got the rom only for the kernel usually with rh 7.1 so u cannot use it with any other kernel version.
for ntfs assess either u have to compile the kernel of u have to insert the moule for ntfs ..till now readable access is availabe with ou any fear abut writing to ntfs from linux is still now appreciated which involve of partition damage.

btw which motherboard u have got..?

if have u tried mouting ntfs using knopics??
nafri
Lance Naik

Post by nafri »

if wrote:Aslam-o-Aliakum,

i am lost for words here as i don't think that is possible to use "knoppix kernel" on RH 8. or is it? remember that knoppix is based on debian, and it does not gel with redhat.

irfan
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

nafri wrote:
if wrote:Aslam-o-Aliakum,

i am lost for words here as i don't think that is possible to use "knoppix kernel" on RH 8. or is it? remember that knoppix is based on debian, and it does not gel with redhat.

irfan
I believe you're right. The module on linux-ntfs.sf.net is the way to go for RH.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

NTFS can be accessed in redhat!
By default ntfs support is not configured in redhat.YOu need to recompile your kernel and when running tha make xconfig part, you should select the support ntfs option.

Then use this command:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hdaNO /mnt/mountpoint

IN short,

1.To access a fat or fat 32 partition (read write)

mount -t vfat /dev/hdaNO /mnt/mountpoint

2.To access ntfs:

Check if ur kernel supports ntfs by running this command.If it maps it then fine:

mount -t ntfs /dev/hdaNO /mnt/mountpoint

if it gives error, it means ntfs support is not configured and you need to recompile you kernel and select the support ntfs option

I am running windows xp sp1 on ntfs, redhat 9 dualboot and i recompiled my kernel for ntfs.Works like a charm

If u need any more help, feel free to contact me.
omarmasood
Cadet

Post by omarmasood »

aoa

i installed the sm56 modem rpm from motorola's site but it didnt work

when i configure kppp it shows the error msg that the device doesnt exist when i select /dev/.../modem
& when i select /dev/.../s2 as in win it is installed on com3 , it says that the modem is busy

any suggestions ????

should i try mandrake

is there any way i could install mandrake without having redhat uninstalled

i have already WIN98,2kserver,xp and redhat installed

plz help

OMAR MASOOD
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

omar, did u try accessing it from the network interfaces panel alongwith the eth0 interfacing?
also try finding an rpm for ur modem at www.rpmfind.net the best and largest index of rpms.

Yes u can install redhat linux, mandrake dual boot.means u can install mandrake without uninstalling redhat...then ull have a dual boot WIN98,2kserver,xp,redhat and mandrake installed [/img]