New Installation

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
syedaltaf
Cadet

New Installation

Post by syedaltaf »

Salam...
I have Windows XP Professional and Linux Redhet 9 running currently duel boot in my system.. and i want to install the New Operation system so i want 3 boot... i want to install Windows server 2003 ...
will it change my GRUB Boot loader settings ???
if yes then tell me how to prevent it from changing and safe installing server 2003.
Thankx
farhanksa
Subedar

2003 server will definately change the setting

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
2003 server will definately change the setting bcz u cannot prevent 2003 for not writing it on mbr

no problem ..even though it will recognise ur win xp by it self . u can boot in to linux by floopy of by recovering the loader as u can do with lilo.

go to rescue modem edit the grub.conf file and save it and come out

the command which is different fro mlilo is grub-install /dev/hda or hdb or hdc or hdd depending on ur hdisk u need to write it on the MBR not on any of the partitons frist sector
syedaltaf
Cadet

Post by syedaltaf »

Salam Guyzzz :lol:
well ... Hawaldaar sahib... i am not that Guruu in linuxx.. u hav to tell me in ASAAN WORDS.. so can understand wht to do to install the Server 2003 ... i hope u understand my situation :( ... Thankx
farhanksa
Subedar

ok man dont worry

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
u can multiboot with any Os its easy task if u understand the configuration
yar problem is this ... i again and again same topics .. its will be nice if u search the forum ragarding the loader lilo or grub problems

any how i can write again for u but pls find other that may be more help ful to u

2 kinds of loader lilo or grub grub not availabe in 7.3 its avail onwards

there r many options the easiest and best for u to write loader on MBR
which means the first sector of the harddisk not of the any of the partition

the configuration files r lying in /etc directory
vi is the editor use the gui editor or from shell
vi /etc/lilo.conf or vi /etc/grub.conf depending upon which loader u had choosed

press insert to go to inserting mode and edit the changes
esc for returning from insert mode
esc : ? ?= w for write , q for quit with out save , x for write and exit
pls look at the lines in the configuration files and try to add the lines similar to which r for winxp
others=
lable=
and may be one more......me not on linux bos now other wise i copy lines to add in the file fo ru

good luck
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

you will not be able to boot up win2003server,winxp and linux ONLY IF it writes its loader to mbr.
how can be 2 loaders on 1 mbr.

normally win9x, winnt, winxp ,win2k all previous versions of micro$oft dont use mbr. they only have 1 loader on the boot sector of active partition.

so now there are 2 ways
find any way to install win2003server on boot secor of active partition.
solution no 2 is to install linux on bootsector and boot it from windows loader.

and are you people sure that win2003server writes its loader to mbr???
and have you installed it ? what were the results?
syedaltaf
Cadet

Post by syedaltaf »

Maaan.. i have installed the Windows 2003 server..
and now the Linux Grub Magically disapears...
cant boot linux.. now what to do ??? any one please can help me ????
mahin
Major

Re: ok man dont worry

Post by mahin »

farhanksa wrote:aoa
u can multiboot with any Os its easy task if u understand the configuration
yar problem is this ... i again and again same topics .. its will be nice if u search the forum ragarding the loader .......< snip>
You are 100% right, same question again and again :). The way thing are moving more members joinging every day we will have more of these questions. [ you are getting popular :) ]

Would you care to compile a FAQ based upon your posts which you can post here and be posted in PLUC Wiki pages ? This will help others in future. If you can post in English I can promse to do its translation in Urdu and post it even as gif at PLUC Wiki till Urdu text display issues are sorted.

Do take a look at Xosl and see if it [ or some thing similar must be GPL ] can be used. We need to provide help about one multi boot loader which can handle multiple OS on one HD, other multi boot loaders users can learn on their own..
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

You are right. Questions regarding multiboot are getting increased, I too replied to a few questions like that. I will try to collect that data & will InshAllah post to Wiki.

Regards,

-Meraj