General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
pakigeek
Cadet

Post by pakigeek »

Salam everyone

just join the forums , seems pretty nice, looking forward to having a good time here :D

i am a linuX newbie as well.

by the way anyone in islamabad or rawalpindi could tell me any shop where i could find linux distributions other then RedHat and Mandruke ?

till now all the shops i have checked have mostly RedHat or rarely mandrake ?

I currently use Vector Linux , and its not much fun downloading the 250 MB iso on a dial up, whenever a new version is released.
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

hi

Warm WELCOME to LinuxPakistan!!!

although i am a newbie aswell :lol:

for cds have a look here
http://www.linuxpakistan.net/wiki/index ... hiSoftware

and i suggest you to use slackware if you want to try your hands at something hard.
pakigeek
Cadet

Post by pakigeek »

thanks for the warm welcome :)

i do want to try my hands at something hard, i started with Slackware, but i switched to Vector Linux cause its based on SLackware , but its a little easy to install and use, and i am quite happy with it soo far .

i want to try some other distrobutions but , most are'nt available , and downloading is'nt much fun.

The CD list looks quite nice , and has almost everything but it looks like they are only available in Karachi ? or am i wrong ??
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

pakigeek,
Welcome to the group. You're probably the first member on the group who's said that a linux distribution is actually too easy for him :) . That said, try Linux from Scratch or gentoo. Guaranteed to keep you (and your compiler) busy for a long time!
pakigeek
Cadet

Post by pakigeek »

thanks again for welcoming me

umm i did'nt said linux was easy for me , no way i could say that, i ain't much of a linuX geek :wink: . all i said is vector is a little easier then slackware :cry:
javedlodhi
Cadet

Appreciate that!

Post by javedlodhi »

No wonder Vector is a bit tough to handle but that does not means that it is not easier than SlackWare. It's just getting used to it!
Javed Iqbal Lodhi
Systems Engineer
LPI Certified Systems Engineer
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

IMHO, Redhat is the best linux distro ever.

Im using:

Windows 98 Se
Windows Xp SP1 Slipstreamed
Win2k Advanced data Server
Redhat linux 9

All dualboot.

IMHO, most linux distros are same.In the sense that most of them use the same packages like a gnome or kde desktop, mplayer or xine as the media player and so on.Its just how they organize and integrate the packages that makes the distro different from the others.What do others think on this point?
pakigeek
Cadet

Post by pakigeek »

i myself use

WinXp Pro
Win98 SE
Lycoris
Vector 3.2

All are dualboot , but i use Partition Boot Manager ,

which boot manager do you use ?

i doubt if any linuX distro is the best, all depends on your looking for , although i do agree that most linux distro are similar .
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

I use grub as the default boot loader.
GRub and Lilo are both powerful bootloaders but they arent recommended for newbies.

At any time u can uninstall any of ur bootloader and restore the MAster Boot Record to a previous version by either backing it up and restoring it using the debug command in dos or u can also use the fdisk /mbr to restore an earlier copy.