Writing/ReWriting CDs under linux ...

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

I would like to see if anyone could help me in Writing/ReWriting CDs under linux ? I need some basic info about it on a Linux system. I have correctly installed my CD writer, but don't know correctly how to write/rewrite CDs under Linux.

I tried to use XCD Roast, but didn't get it properly ... so can anyone give me any tips about it ? any easy to use software for CD writing ?

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

-Meraj
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

Merja... CD Roaster is a good software to burn CDs... could u tell me.... which CD writer u have...
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
------------------------------------
if
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Why use linux for CD-writing?
=====================
Because it sucks less. Many CD writing software in Windows are poorly implemented, unstable, and/or bloated. My realization of the power of linux began with powerful CD writing capabilities. Windows CD burning utilities are not definitely easier to use than linux. For most general CD burning duties, linux can handle them simply and without any mistakes.

Which programs do the job?
==================
Xcdroast, cdrecord, mkisofs, xmms cdparanoia, and cdrdao will handle nearly every application scenario for writing CDs. Cdrecord does nearly everything you need, but it is not entirely intuitive. Mkisofs turns a directory structure on your filesystem into the ISO9660 filesystem for CDs. Xcdroast is an intuitive gui frontend to cdrecord and mkisofs. Cdrdao is a console program used for DAO (disc-at-once) recording. There are probably gui frontends to cdrdao too. Xmms is a mp3 player.

What about setting up my hardware in linux?
============================
Cdrecord, xcdroast, and cdrdao have some built-in configuration tools. Usually this will be all you need. The CD-WRITING HOWTO makes setting up a CD writer sound hard, and it very well could be difficult with the many different cd writers. I won't detail on hardware problems because the howto does a better job, and for most cases extra preliminary configuration is not necessary. If you did not have any SCSI devices during installation, your distribution might not have provided the SCSI drivers you need. You need to compile in generic SCSI support into the kernel or insert the appropriate modules.

The following command scans your scsi bus. The output should tell you the SCSI bus number, id number, and lun for your drive(s).

cdrecord -scanbus

Configuration for xcdroast is self-explanatory. Select the "Setup" tab on fill in appropriate fields. If anything is confusing, there is an extremely clear README included with xcdroast. Note: the "HD SETUP" tab asks you where you want images stored on your hard drive. You can specify a partition or a path to wherever your have room. Images of CDs are large, so make sure you have the extra capacity.

Taken from CD Writing Tutorial (for linux) by terry chow

As others asked, which cdr model are u using.Is it aspi enabled?
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamualaikum,

It is Samsung 48x24x48 Model SW-248FRNS.

I also read that Howto, but I was looking to see if there are anyother easy to use software. Beside that I wanted to see if I could straight copy/paste in it ... :p

Regards,

-Meraj
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Meraj,
depends on what distro you have. Redhat 9 has CD writing capabilities built into nautilus. Fire up nautilus, click Go->CD Writing. It'll give you a workspace for composing the CD. Drag and drop files on it to fit how you want your CD to be. THen click 'Write CD'.

Other great easy to use frontends for CD-writing are k3b and gcombust. If you install either of them using apt-get (both in redhat and debian), it'll grab the prerequisite software for you. Both of these software also check the prerequisites (cdrecord, cdparanoia etc.) when you first fire them up, so you can get the software if neccesary.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Nice info fawad.I didnt notice the nautilius builtin cd writing interface feature.Will give it a try next time.
mrkkhattak
Site Admin

Post by mrkkhattak »

Assalamaulaikum,

Great ... ! I am using Vectore Linux SOHO. I will try to use to tools you mentioned, I will let you ppl know then ...

Regards,

-Meraj
shirwany
Cadet

Post by shirwany »

Asslam o alaikum,

you can try command line tools. The following is a list of instructions to write a CD using linux.

Step 1: Create an iso9660 filesystem

% mkisofs -r -o cdimage.iso storage

This command has put the entire input "storage" hierarchy in the output file "cdimage" in the form of an iso9660 filesystem. The option '-r' sets the permissions of all files to be public readable on the CD and enables Rock Ridge extensions.

You might want to verify that mkisofs has created the filesystem correctly.
% mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 cdimage.iso /tmp

You should see the directories and files inside `storage' in the directory /tmp if all went well. After you are satisfied you should unmount /tmp as:

% umount /tmp

Step 2: Write the image to the CD
% cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=4 cdimage.iso

For this to work you do not have to be root. The speed option corresponds to the writing speed of my CD (4X media). -v lets you see the writing progress.

If you are writing to a CD-rewritable, you have to erase the disk prior to reuse. To do so type

% cdrecord dev=0,0,0 speed=4 blank=all

To get the device info use
% cdrecord -scanbus
For me it is
0,0,0 0) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R PX-W2410A' '1.04' Removable CD-ROM

I have tried xcdroast, koncd and gtoaster but command line method always work. You can also write multisession cds.

Allah hafiz
Shirwany

(Most of the information found here is directly from the CD-Writing mini-HOWTO (by Winfried Trumper).
mahin
Major

Post by mahin »

shirwany wrote:Asslam o alaikum,

you can try command line tools. The following is a list of instructions to write a CD using linux.
<snip>
I have tried xcdroast, koncd and gtoaster but command line method always work. You can also write multisession cds.

Allah hafiz
Shirwany
Excellent :!: Darya ko kuzay mein band kar diya :)

Would you please write some thing similar for multisession CD also. Then we can ad both to PLUC wiki and God willing translate this into Urdu also.

I could be wrong but a few lines worth notes explaing why at every step will help thick headed like me to understand better. With those answer's to Why's translated into Urdu will help most to remember each step as well logic behind it.

In any case what you have written is very good. :) Thanks! :D :D