GAIM 0.53 CONNECTION ISSUES

Taking care of your Linux box.
lemon
Naik

GAIM 0.53 CONNECTION ISSUES

Post by lemon »

I HAVE GAIM 0.53 on RED HAT LINUX 7.3 KERNEL 2.4.18-3

ON A LAN CONNECTION SOCKS PROXY IS ALSO CONFIGURED PROPERLY MSN CONNCETS FINE FROM WINDOWS BUT GAIM FROM LINUX DOESNT.
BROSING WOKS FINE.

ANY BODY HAVE THESE PROBLEMS ????
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

You are using quite an old version of gaim

FYI, Gaim is A Linux/UNIX instant messenger client, which can handle multiple protocols, including MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo!,...

Do u have same problem with dial up connections?

Check to make sure that you have specified the correct proxy and port settings in gaim in linux.You may need to tweak some of ur setting by method of trial and error.Configuring socks based proxy servers sometimes becomes difficult in linux, due to no support for linux from the provider end.Have u used the same socks proxy server successfully in linux for some other purpose?

Also try upgrading to the latest version of gaim from http://gaim.sourceforge.net

The developers claim gaim 1:0.58-2.3 has better proxy support.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Another good link to download a tweaked version of gaim is:

http://wendy.djo.tudelft.nl/~dushaw/sta ... /gaim.html
lemon
Naik

Post by lemon »

I HAVE CHECKED ALL THE PROXY SETTING I HAVE NO SUCH PROBLEM WHAT SO EVER ON DIAL UP CONNECTION.

THE SAME SOCKS PROXY AND NORMAL HTTP PROXY BOTH WORK JUST FINE FOR THE BROWSWERS LIKE GALEON , NETSCAPE ETC.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Read my posts again and follow all the steps, including upgrading to the latest version.

It may well be, that ur lan connection provider, which i assume is ur deesi cable walla...has a configuration that does not allow linux initialised socks proxy IM connections.

And if im not wrong, i think the socks proxy is just for the lan based connection and not the dialup rite and in other words u wont be able to make a connection to the net without the socks proxy rite?

Hehe reply post in 10 seconds.
Last edited by Faraz.Fazil on Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

And donot use all caps when posting replies on bulettin boards/forums.It is considered as a rude way of shouting.

Furthermore, using a polite tone is recommended.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

If nothing works, then u may have to use another im client under linux that is compatible with ur socks proxy.

You may try giving any QT based im client a try.
lemon
Naik

Post by lemon »

Yes you are a absolutely right Faraz, :D It is a desi cable wala, and I too think he is blocking socks IM connection.

Further I think I have to get the ISA server's policy (which is local Gateway of My Desi Cable wala by the way) fixed or created for outgoing connections.

Thanks for your responses and Sorry for being rude i havent read linuxpakistan.net 's policy on fourms so i havent read that all CAPS was rude but i knew many sites consider all CAPS shouting.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Np.
Anytime friend.

I hope ur cablewala fixes his policy hehe.
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

lemon,
Have you tried getting the latest gaim as per Faraz's suggestion? The reason why you can't connect might be because the msn protocol might have changed since the gaim 0.53 release. Microsoft seemed to change the protocol almost every week back in the day, but they've seem to have slowed down now. gaim-0.6x require gtk+ 2, so make sure you have that before you attempt to install the rpm. Otherwise, the 0.59.9 rpm is on the sourceforge mirrors as well (which might or might not work).