Embedded Linux.... from where should i start

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
shahzad73
Cadet

Embedded Linux.... from where should i start

Post by shahzad73 »

Hello there

I am finding any beginning tutorials for embedded linux. i am interested in AtoZ.

I want to know what softwares are required... from where to get it from internet and also what hardware i have to purchase keeping in mind that i want to start it as beginning.

I am a software engineer and a good experience in Embedded system designing with microcontrollers like 8051. now i want to explore this area. i have no priour experience in Linux but that will be no problem for me. so any one want to guide me or if possible make a casual relationship with me. i want to go to the level that i can design embedded system.

also is there any place in lahore from which arranges any courses in Embedded Linux.
Shahzad Aslam
shahzad73@hotmail dot com
http://www.angelfire.com/ak/shahzad73/Resume.doc
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

HI.
Get these books :

1."Building Embedded Linux Systems" From Oreilly press
2."Embedded Systems, Linux, and the Future" From oreilly Press.

Full Description (Taken from oreilly.com)
=========================
Linux® is being adopted by an increasing number of embedded systems developers, who have been won over by its sophisticated scheduling and networking, its cost-free license, its open development model, and the support offered by rich and powerful programming tools. While there is a great deal of hype surrounding the use of Linux in embedded systems, there is not a lot of practical information. Building Embedded Linux Systems is the first in-depth, hard-core guide to putting together an embedded system based on the Linux kernel. This indispensable book features arcane and previously undocumented procedures for:

Building your own GNU development toolchain

Using an efficient embedded development framework

Selecting, configuring, building, and installing a target-specific kernel

Creating a complete target root filesystem

Setting up, manipulating, and using solid-state storage devices

Installing and configuring a bootloader for the target

Cross-compiling a slew of utilities and packages

Debugging your embedded system using a plethora of tools and techniques

Details are provided for various target architectures and hardware configurations, including a thorough review of Linux's support for embedded hardware. All explanations rely on the use of open source and free software packages. By presenting how to build the operating system components from pristine sources and how to find more documentation or help, this book greatly simplifies the task of keeping complete control over one's embedded operating system, whether it be for technical or sound financial reasons.

Author Karim Yaghmour, a well-known designer and speaker who is responsible for the Linux Trace Toolkit, starts by discussing the strengths and weaknesses of Linux as an embedded operating system. Licensing issues are included, followed by a discussion of the basics of building embedded Linux systems. The configuration, setup, and use of over forty different open source and free software packages commonly used in embedded Linux systems are also covered. uClibc, BusyBox, U-Boot, OpenSSH, thttpd, tftp, strace, and gdb are among the packages discussed.
==============================
As for any institutes imparting quality embeded linux training/course in pakistan, the answer is no, no institute is doing that yet.
Last edited by Faraz.Fazil on Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
farhanksa
Subedar

http://linuxdevices.com/

Post by farhanksa »

farhanksa
Subedar

wt actually u wana do?

Post by farhanksa »

aoa

wt ur aim to do?wt u wana make or discover?
kadnan
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by kadnan »

linuxgeek
Site Admin

Post by linuxgeek »

There is a lot of information on internet regarding running linux on embedded chipped systems , check out redhat.com for redhat's version of em-linux .. You might want to check HP Test Drive ( Previously Compaq Test Drive) at testdrive.hp.com . They have a pretty nice collection of pda/ ipacs running linux and they can provide you documentation too. Try googling for sharp Zaurus , I am basically listing all this as of trying linux on Pocket PCs/ PDAs.

regards

~uppal
Junaid Saeed Uppal
uppal at linux dot net dot pk
Cell : +92.345.8586045