so, how about that ptcl

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
lambda
Major General

so, how about that ptcl

Post by lambda »

looks like they screwed up again, big-time. first the fiber link goes down, then a few hours later, the satellite backup. rumor's going around that they cut off lahore in favor of karachi (i couldn't confirm this). here's what my isp looked like: Image
(green is incoming).

some of the ispak people here are planning on meeting up with the president, the finance minister, and secretary itt.

i know it's wrong, but i kept hoping the link would be down for just a few more hours -- long enough to get people really riled up.
nouman
Cadet

where does the satelite link goes..??

Post by nouman »

where does the satelite link goes..??
when the sea-me-we-3 link at karachi is down.... as i knew that ptcl got a satelite link at Dehmandro near karachi and Malach near islamabad...y dont they use those link when the fiber link goes down???
lambda
Major General

Re: where does the satelite link goes..??

Post by lambda »

nouman wrote:where does the satelite link goes..??
i don't have the exact map handy, but eventually our packets get to singapore. i think the actual cable goes to bombay before reaching singapore.
when the sea-me-we-3 link at karachi is down.... as i knew that ptcl got a satelite link at Dehmandro near karachi and Malach near islamabad...y dont they use those link when the fiber link goes down???
that went down about three hours after the fiber link died.

it appears that ispak was successful in having two ptcl engineers suspended over this issue.
if
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

Do u think... suspend to a person can make u'r problem solved??? if u'r answer is no then... what's the solution???
if u find anything which shows my lack of knowledge,
please guide me... thx
------------------------------------
Aslam-o-Aliakum-Wa-Rahmatullah-Wa-Barakatuhu
if
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

[quote="if"Do u think... suspend to a person can make u'r problem solved??? if u'r answer is no then... what's the solution???[/quote]

it's not my problem, it's everyone's problem...for as long as ptcl controls the only internet pipe to the country. with the deregulation, that might change...
if

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

if deregulation come... do u think, it change??? i hope not...
please guide me... thx
if
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

As long as ptcl has the internet bandwith monopoly, nothing will change.
farhanksa
Subedar

hmm ya u r rite but pls pray ..and be hopeful

Post by farhanksa »

aoa

i came to know while our backbone is down we use the satelite only for the voice and television broadcase..not for data...

1 thing is till the day we dont have our second link fo fiber backbone..we wil have to face problem
when the deregutaion will take place the competetors will come but there is likely a chance to have a dooply at that time.
so we must be hopefull
:)
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Lets hope for the better and lets hope that the ptcl monoply comes to an end and that the quality of service especially the quality of internet services improves considerably in pakistan.
if

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

Deregulation policy is announced... and i think monoply is over... where the privite companies... willing to invest... :lol: where are they and what they are doing... for better future of u ppl... :lol:
please guide me... thx
if
linuxgeek
Site Admin

Post by linuxgeek »

Hi there,

PTCL has 2 X 155 Mbps SMW-III links terminating at Port Karachi , these links are carried over to the Whole country over PTCL's owned Fibre Network / PIE / Pakistan Internet Exchange with 3 points of presence at Karachi / Lahore / Islamabad.

Second / Backup Links are 2 X Sat Links which are afew E1s .. i guess maximum 34Mbps. These are at Karachi / Islamabad ( Somewhere Around Them ).

Regarding Using Backup Links , in the current DDOS Attacks/ Internet Downtime in Pakistan , the problem was with PTCL, They dont have people / efficient backup system to power up the whole country ( and yes i am sorry to say this ). The Core Router's power supply burnt along with the red. power supply and they didnt have any backup ,The Backup Link ( SAT One ) was down because of weather and here we are disconnected from the Internet.

And yes, regarding de-regulation policy.. That doesnt matter because PTCL has invested / developed such a huge local network / loops that every new company in the market is going to use PTCL's damn ( sorry ) network.

regards

~uppal
Junaid Saeed Uppal
uppal at linux dot net dot pk
Cell : +92.345.8586045
if

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,
linuxgeek wrote:Hi there,

PTCL has 2 X 155 Mbps SMW-III links terminating at Port Karachi , these links are carried over to the Whole country over PTCL's owned Fibre Network / PIE / Pakistan Internet Exchange with 3 points of presence at Karachi / Lahore / Islamabad.

Second / Backup Links are 2 X Sat Links which are afew E1s .. i guess maximum 34Mbps. These are at Karachi / Islamabad ( Somewhere Around Them ).

Regarding Using Backup Links , in the current DDOS Attacks/ Internet Downtime in Pakistan , the problem was with PTCL, They dont have people / efficient backup system to power up the whole country ( and yes i am sorry to say this ). The Core Router's power supply burnt along with the red. power supply and they didnt have any backup ,The Backup Link ( SAT One ) was down because of weather and here we are disconnected from the Internet.

And yes, regarding de-regulation policy.. That doesnt matter because PTCL has invested / developed such a huge local network / loops that every new company in the market is going to use PTCL's damn ( sorry ) network.

regards

~uppal
Yes Uppal u are right... that's why... i said... there is nothing change... because

Is there any pakistani (there is no doubt that pakistan bussiness men don't have wealth) investor (ISP, DataNetwork Operator) who want to get bandwidth only for the sack of their customers... answer is no

Approx. 1 months gone... no company announce... any big bandwidth purchase for the sack of pakistani people... no

And i'm telling u... there is no pakistani company... who purchase bandwidth in next two-five years (approx.)
please guide me... thx
if
farhanksa
Subedar

what reason for failure of Frame relay in pakistan

Post by farhanksa »

what reason for failure of Frame relay in pakistan???
if

Post by if »

Aslam-o-Aliakum,

DNO and ISP normally blame PTCL because of it's monoply.... but Now after deregulation why they are not investing... before this they (DNO and ISP) offered large scale investment after the deregulation policy... but where their offers are... where they go???

They go nowhere... but infact... at that time (in Past) they need a party to be blamed by them (for an excuse)... so there is PTCL...

But now there is not PTCL who to be blamed... now i see... that these people (DNO and ISP) are need to be blamed for nothing they do for this country and people... because they need deregulation of Telecommunication and Internet sector and Government did for them and for the future and betterness of this country....

Now i request them... to come infront and purchase Large Bandwith for u'r bussiness... and also improve the rates of Internet (Dialup is approx. free in most of country) and come up... with more security policy and with technical team who can handle the DoS and DDoS and other attacks... so we can see... what u ppl said in Past is a TRUTH and also prove that PTCL is fact didn't perform well in past....
please guide me... thx
if
umair007
Naik

ptcl damn s***

Post by umair007 »

i hope ptcl changes the phone lines because they are crap s*** my pc only connects at 36 or some time 46 kbps per second although i have a top rod modem and people with the same in america connect at 52 and 56

the new phone lines in abotabad are better because i went to shinkiari and they connected at 52kbps they were army lines

long live army