Red Hat 9 Installing Problem

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
mwalam
Naik

Red Hat 9 Installing Problem

Post by mwalam »

Aoa
I downloaded the Red Hat 9.0 from ftp.redhat.com. These are the Cd Names and Sizes.
shrike-i386-disc1.iso 638MB
shrike-i386-disc2.iso 646MB
shrike-i386-disc3.iso 485MB
When i try to install it goes to the packages but it shows this message
preparing to install

and after this my system is hanged up. can you tell me from where i can download the red hat9.0. i am using 150K Broadband.
Waqas
sakbar
Naik

Post by sakbar »

try

www.linuxiso.org * i myself downloaded many iso's from there *

check ur media when u start the installation starts !!

--shakeel
farhanksa
Subedar

before downlading agin pls do this

Post by farhanksa »

aoa
b4 downlaoding again pls do the MD5check on the iso u had downlaoded..may be the first one may be corupted??

try to install from the same on the other cpu
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Well if you downloaed the correct files and they didnt get corrupt, then they should work without problem.

It seems as though some of your download files got corrupt during
download.

Download the redhat distro from www.linuxiso.org

ONce u download the isos, u have two options:

1.TO get hold of a setup disk from redhat.com , make a boot floppy , start linux setup and make it browse the iso images and install linux directly from hdd to hdd

or

2.Burn the iso's to 3 cds, and install as done normally from the bootable cdrom.

Which method did u use btw?
farhanksa
Subedar

pls explain a bit

Post by farhanksa »

pls explain a bit
after downlaoding the iso which img file is to be used to make boot flooopy??
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Well many people often ask me if they can install linux without cdrom.In the latest incidence, FARHANKSA asked me on msn if he could install linux from the iso images he had downloaded to his hdd, without the cdrom.The answer is yes, linux can be installed without cdrom.

So here is the answer.

In Short
==============
Now, first of all, you need to get the Complete distro u wish to install in iso format for e.x Redhat linux 9 in iso format from a website like linuxiso.org from where u can download all distros in iso format.

After you have downloaded the iso files, u need to create the setup install boot disks.Once the boot disks have been created, you boot from those disks, and setup is started.You make setup browse the location of iso files on the hdd and then u install directly form hdd to hdd.TO do that read this:
==============================================================
Installing linux from media other than a cdrom is easy too and i have already implemented it successfully.Redhat already has an article on how to acheive this.I am posting that article here.
and my conclusion later in the thread.

Taken from: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linu ... MAKE-DISKS

Alternative Boot Methods

If you cannot boot from the CD-ROM drive to install linux, the following alternative boot methods are also available:

Local Boot Disk
=============
You may need a local boot disk or PCMCIA boot disks, if you cannot boot from the CD-ROM drive.

If you need a local boot disk, you must create it. The local boot disk image file, boot.img, is located in the images directory on your Red Hat Linux/x86 CD. Refer to the section called Making Installation Diskettes for more information on making a boot disk.

PCMCIA Boot Disks
==================
You may need PCMCIA boot disks if you are using a PCMCIA device to install Red Hat Linux. If you need PCMCIA boot disks, you must create them. Refer to the section called Making Installation Diskettes for those instructions.

The following checklist can help you determine if you will need to create PCMCIA boot disks:

You will install Red Hat Linux from a CD-ROM, and your CD-ROM drive is attached to your computer through a PCMCIA card.

You will use a PCMCIA network adapter during the installation.

The PCMCIA boot disks image files, pcmcia.img and pcmicadd.img, are located in the images directory on your Red Hat Linux/x86 CD. Refer to the section called Making Installation Diskettes for more information on making a boot disk.

Note
Although it is not required to boot your installation, you may occasionally find that a driver disk is needed to continue with the installation. The Driver Disks appendix in the Official Red Hat Linux Reference Guide explains why a driver disk may be necessary for your installation, and how to obtain one if needed.

===========================================================

Making Installation Diskettes

You may need to create a diskette from an image file; for example, you may need to use updated diskette images obtained from the Red Hat Linux errata page or you may need to create a boot disk.

An image file contains an exact copy (or image) of a diskette's contents. Since a diskette contains filesystem information in addition to the data contained in files, the image file is not usable until it has been written to a diskette.

To start, you will need a blank, formatted, high-density (1.44MB), 3.5-inch diskette. You will need access to a computer with a 3.5-inch diskette drive. The computer must be able to run either an MS-DOS program or the dd utility found on most Linux-like operating systems.

The images directory on your Red Hat Linux CD contains the boot images for Red Hat Linux/x86. Once you have selected the proper image, transfer the image file onto a diskette.

Using the rawrite Utility
-------------------------
To make a diskette using MS-DOS, use the rawrite utility included on the Red Hat Linux CD in the dosutils directory. First, label a blank, formatted 3.5-inch diskette appropriately (such as "Boot Disk" or "Updates Disk"). Insert it into the diskette drive. Then, use the following commands (assuming your CD is drive d:

C:\> d:
D:\> cd \dosutils
D:\dosutils> rawrite
Enter disk image source file name: ..\images\boot.img
Enter target diskette drive: a:
Please insert a formatted diskette into drive A: and
press --ENTER-- : [Enter]
D:\dosutils>

First, rawrite asks you for the filename of a diskette image; enter the directory and name of the image you wish to write (for example, ..\images\boot.img). Then rawrite asks for a diskette drive to write the image to; enter a:. Finally, rawrite asks for confirmation that a formatted diskette is in the drive you have selected. After pressing [Enter] to confirm, rawrite copies the image file onto the diskette. If you need to make another diskette, label that diskette, and run rawrite again, specifying the appropriate image file.

Using the dd Command
--------------------------
To make a diskette under Linux (or any other Linux-like operating system), you must have permission to write to the device representing a 3.5-inch diskette drive (known as /dev/fd0 under Linux).

First, label a blank, formatted diskette appropriately (such as "Boot Disk" or "Updates Disk"). Insert it into the diskette drive (but do not issue a mount command). After mounting the Red Hat Linux CD, change directory to the directory containing the desired image file, and use the following command (changing the name of the image file and diskette device as appropriate):

# dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

To make another diskette, label that diskette, and run dd again, specifying the appropriate image file.

Conclusion and detail (BY FARAZ FAZIL ):
==================================

If you want to install linux from media other than cdrom,like if u want to install linux from the hdd directly, then u need an linux install boot disk.Now that boot disk can easily be created using the boot.img file which is located in the images folder.Steps on how to make the boot disk from .img file have already been mentioned.there are many method including using rawrite.exe from dos or dd from linux.If you only have iso images and nothing else worry not.Extract the files from the iso files to a directory using a tool like winrar in windows or fileroller etc in linux.You will get the images folder and the boot.img file.Proceed then as already told

Once you have the boot disks ready, boot from the install boot disk.Setup will be started.Make it browse the location of iso images and install directly from hdd to hdd

Happy instaLLATION!

Also check this post of mine:

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... =2908#2908

I will also add this article on wiki soon.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Autoboot.exe file can also be used to install directly from hdd through isos and even without floppy drives or bootable floppies.But this method has not been tested and may or may not work.Also it has got some limitations.

Elaboration:
=======
Let me elaborate.

Where autoboot.exe gets involved , we have two possibilites:

1.You are gonna use autoboot.exe to start setup from dos and will then make the setup browse the iso files on the hdd.This method WILL WORK
and no floppy drives will be needed.

2.You are gonna copy all the files from a friends cdrom to your hdd an bring the hdd home and will attemp to to run autoboot and install directly from the directories and not the isos.THIS WONT WORK.

Explanation:
==========
WEll., the autoboot method (the method without floppy in which u copied the cd to the hard disk works only if u also have the iso files.that even has not been tested but may work (But the method in which u copy the files directly from a friends cdrom to your hdd and without any isos) only works for linux distros that only have 1 install disk...like redhat 6 which only had one install cd.In that case u copied the cd to the hard disk(the files directly from a friends cdrom to your hdd and without any isos and ran autoboot and installed from the hdd without any iso files or boot floppies.But if you are installing any new distro like rh8 or even rh7 or mandrake that have 2 or 3 install cd's the autoboot method without isos wont work unless u tweak it.Becoz when u will copy the 3 cds to the hdd, the setup wont be able to recognize all of them dynamically.If u really want to try it , try it out for yourself like try to install rh9 directly from hdd without iso images or floppy.

Another iso based method that may or may not work and has not been tested is that u extract the files from the iso files to hdd, and run the extracted autoboot.exe file from dos.It starts setup...you can then make it browse the iso files on the hdd and then proceed as normal.Its just like the normal iso based method i explained before...just that here you can install even without a floppy drive.

The point here is that the recommended and efficient way to install linux from hdd and the one that works is the iso based install method, be it through floppies or through the without floppy method.But using the floppy boot based iso install method is recommended and has been tested.In which u boot from the install boot floppies and make the setup browse the iso images on the hdd.The other methods in which u copy all files from a cdrom to hdd and try installing from directories doesnt work for distros that have multiple install cds

So basically, now we have two good method to install linux directly from hdd:

1.Make the linux install boot floppies,boot from them and start setup and make it browse the iso files on hdd and install.This is the floppy based iso install method directly from the hdd.

2.Extract the files stored in the .iso files to hdd.RUn autoboot.exe from dos...setup is started.Make it browse the iso files on hdd and install.This is the iso based install method from the hdd without floppies or floppy drive.

newbie wrote:if you even dont have floppy drive you can still install.
with "autoboot" utility in "dosutils folder"
but offcourse you need dos or win9x on that pc.

just enter in dos
and
folder where "autoboot.exe" is located. just run auoboot.exe and same procedure as faraz fazil told.

cheers