I Don't Like This Forum!

General discussion about PLUC and Linux in Pakistan.
noumaan
Cadet

I Don't Like This Forum!

Post by noumaan »

I don't like this forum. I don't know who maintains this forum but I am certain that they are not very enthusiastic about maintaining a successful web forum. I would like to criticize the forum Admins here. The purpose is not to highlight their inability (which is quite evident) but to make this forum a better place for discussion.

Everyone, all of you are invited to give some suggestions here. Tell the forum admins that you want this forum in an improved and rock solid shape. I start this thread with my suggestions. Please add yours and if you are a forum Admin please take part in the discussion and tell us how you are going to impliment our suggestions.

** Remember the purpose of this thread is to make this forum better. We are a community right?

First of all this forum needs a Portal like Main page. Something that shows recent posts, Announcements, suggest a few posts to beginners and engage them, nearly drag them into some sort of interaction with the website.

We need to make teams and carry out some work together. If the Admins are not ready to share the workspace with the community they should atleast drop the word linux from linux Pakistan. I mean what are we all doing here??? Please use us for the welfare of the community.
fawad
Site Admin

Re: I Don't Like This Forum!

Post by fawad »

noumaan wrote: I would like to criticize the forum Admins here. The purpose is not to highlight their inability (which is quite evident) but to make this forum a better place for discussion.
I think you're doing us a disservice here. You want to say that we're incompetent but don't want to point out exactly where we're failing.
noumaan wrote: First of all this forum needs a Portal like Main page. Something that shows recent posts, Announcements, suggest a few posts to beginners and engage them, nearly drag them into some sort of interaction with the website.
I think we're doing the first half of that already, don't you? As far as suggesting a few posts for beginners is concerned, I think it's a great idea. Care to write up something like that?
noumaan wrote: We need to make teams and carry out some work together. If the Admins are not ready to share the workspace with the community they should atleast drop the word linux from linux Pakistan. I mean what are we all doing here??? Please use us for the welfare of the community.
I'm not sure what you would like us admins to do here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but community means that everybody contributes, not just the admins. What parts of the site are we not sharing with the community? How would you like us to engage us the community more than we're doing right now? We get gripes every now and then, but very few concrete suggestions.

I'm giddy with anticipation about the barrage of suggestions that are about to follow.

Regards
blackdaemon
Naik

Post by blackdaemon »

salam:
LP is a great place to hangout for both fun and learning. but yes there is always room for improvement. ive a couple of suggestions up my sleeve as well:
1. LP should provide shell accounts to all its members
2. Maintain a professional mailing list, with weekly mails on linux oriented developments in pakistan, standards & practices used in rest of the world along with a touch of emerging technologies & trends.
I think, therefore i am!
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear blackdaemon,
Salam,
blackdaemon wrote:1. LP should provide shell accounts to all its members
I think for this we need donations. You people should understand LP is not a community funded by Government. So, If you have suggestions like this then be ready to give donations.
blackdaemon wrote:2. Maintain a professional mailing list, with weekly mails on linux oriented developments in pakistan, standards & practices used in rest of the world along with a touch of emerging technologies & trends.
I belive there is already a mailing list for LP. I am not commenting any thing about Quality because all i know every thing on LP mailing list modrated by LP Admins.

Best Reagards.
Farrukh Ahmed
blackdaemon
Naik

Post by blackdaemon »

salam:
8) farrukh bhai i never said anything about free shell accounts. we can have yearly subscriptions as per requirement. after all some stuff just cant be free, though most of it is. actually i'd like to point out towards www.nsp.org.pk these guyz have made tremendous success in very limited time LP is a much older forum than NSP & mashallah v r an evergrowing forum, but still we have a lot of growth possibilites.

farrukh bhai mujhe chorain, u tell, how can v improve LP?
:wink:
hw come ure not commenting on mailing list quality? hey everybody wants to listen to your comments!open source remember!freedom!
8)
btw-belated happy birthday
I think, therefore i am!
zaki486
Company Havaldaar Major

critism ?? no way to speak against

Post by zaki486 »

Asalam 0 Alaikum

Dear blackdaemon,

all i want to say is ,

Linux Pakistan, having not mass-resources and huge data-banks, more indulged helping ppls (who really take out time from day to read, analyze, and at last reply for problem) are very low or except the admins i guess are very less in count. i will anyhow or somehow being a being Proud Pakistani And a proudfull and happy member of LP will always praise all the help/support still available however wat it is but its our own and I love it.

my expertise arent soooooooo deep but i try to help whenever possible.

u ppl are doing tremendous JOB

Live long Linux Pakistan.

Hope dont mind it

all comment/suggestion is for guru's to reply ASAP they see newbies plz.
==================================
it feels like pain when i am stuck in problem in Lab, specially for linux i wont sleep or eat until i just do it
Shahryar
Naik

Post by Shahryar »

I like LP just the way it is. It provides solutions to problems specific to our local environment. It doesn't make us pay and it gives us an opportunity to help fellow countrymen in adopting linux.
--
S.S.
--
waqastoor
Cadet

Post by waqastoor »

hi linuxers,

ok i am not that Pro to be a critic ..
what i feel is what linux pakistan is doing is phenominal ... why simply because these guyz have taken out time , money and volunteer effort to make a platfrom for Pakistanis to learn some thing and make a change ... or a better change
I personally respect these guyz because they have that vision of change ... surely it takes time .. and will eventually grow Inshallah ... (I am with you :))

i've seen the linux users or Pros are those here who are doing jobs in this env ... or some ( a very few ) woh want to dig up to linux etc ...
so there are some suggestions if Admins find them nobel enough to accomodate ...
1. Why not LP host some seminars in Universities ... a lot of students who should be working in this env are missing ... why because they dont have the exposure ... why not make them to come and be a part of this growth.
2. again this is about engaging the students in linux ... why students because i think that they have to save their butt from the projects .. so they have the power to create anything ... and i mean anything ... my idea is having workshops and seminars in universities
awairness is what is needed... not free CDs :)

so keep it up guyz ... you rock!!
barlas
Naib Subedar

Post by barlas »

waqastoor wrote: 1. Why not LP host some seminars in Universities
It isn't exactly (or more direct) a way to make forum better but I would like to see that happen :)
Aqeel Zafar
syedali999
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by syedali999 »

I just wants to add my personal comments!

everytime i search any query regarding linux, my google.com displays forum's link on the TOP

i think that google is best to search something within linuxpakistan.net forum rather than search option within forum itself. :)
Thanks,
Regards

S. Asad Ali Rizvi
===================
Nomado Telecom
http://www.nomado.eu
alex[NoSpam]@nomado.eu
====================
LPI ID: LPI000102069
My blogs:
http://crea8ivefood.blogspot.com
http://actuarialsciencestudies.blogspot.com
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

syedali999's suggestion was one I could quickly act on. I've added a google search box on the forum search page.
noumaan
Cadet

Post by noumaan »

Fawad can you please consider adding a Portal like module to the forum? Something that acts as the main page (not the index page) for the forum. This page can display latest posts and excerpts from the forum, It could have a poll a box to subscribe linux pakistan mailing list. Links to some sticky posts. Blog posts and annoucenments in the center, Something like we are using at www.urduweb.org/mehfil

I would also suggest a sub forum for those who want to contribute to the open community.
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

noumaan,
That's a great idea. I'll put it on my todo list.