Welcome

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
fawad
Site Admin

Welcome

Post by fawad »

AOA,
Just created this new forum: Linux -> General. This was done to fill a void for a forum required to contain general discussion related to Linux, but not neccesarily relevent to LinuxPakistan as a LUG. A lot of posts that would otherwise have been posted here were posted under LinuxPakistan -> General. I'll try to move over topics that belong here.

To keep the size of the forum in check, I've set it to prune topics that haven't been posted to in 60 days. Hope this is Ok with you guys.

Comments and complaints welcome.

-fawad
Company Havaldaar Major

Post by newbie »

very well thought fawad bhai we really needed this.
farhanksa
Subedar

thats nice....

Post by farhanksa »

thats nice....we need that one...
dair aay par drust aye :)
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Yup its nice to have another general forum.

B.T.W fawad, what do u actually refer by pruning?
Do you mean you will delete /close threads not active during last 60 days?

If yes, then i would defnitely Vote: NO

No threads should be deleted.
There are many old threads about 60 days old, that would still be very useful to many members.

For instance if a person had a problem with lilo and we helped him solve it in a thread.Now even if someone views it after 60 days, it would help him solve his problem.

So no threads should be deleted.Be they 60 days old or an year old.

Any clarification in this regard fawad?

Post by Guest »

Faraz.Fazil,
I'm really torn in this regard. I understand your concern and I thought of the same thing myself. You think we should have a poll about whether pruning should be enabled or not?
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Last post was by me. Sorry, I forgot the update permissions on the forum to allow only logged in users to post.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Well. i would just say, the best person to vote on whether to delete old posts or not would be those who help others with their problems.Those people who spend loads of time and energy helping others.The helpers would be affected if their informational posts are deleted.
Also newbies would be deprived of valuable old posts with valuable info.

I would vote: NO,.....None of the posts should be deleted.There is no sense in deleting old posts.This is a help forum, and most posts contain valuable information that would be really helpful even after a year.

I have been moderating on BBS systems for many years now.Most tof them even have posts that are as old as 3 years!!!

In my view, fawad, it would be better to forget about this idea.
Please donot delete any posts, coz it will ruin the hard work of many people.
Find other ways to conserve webspace, but donot delete any posts.
B.T.W text based posts donot require mushc space or do they?

If this pruning policy is enforced, i may soon stop spending loads of time helping other people.

Waiting for a reply.
mahin
Major

Re: Welcome

Post by mahin »

I Agree 99% with Faraz [ 1% represent your wow for not helping if such and such thing happens :) ] as he has valid point.

If cutting size of forum is an issue then I support removing posts after some time [ 60 days is very short for our size ] but to another forum, where we keep every thing on-line.

This will help majority as they do not consult older posts but will not deprive others of valuable resource. Once thread is in back-up forum then all should be locaked. The only issue [ may not be ] I can see is about the search. User should not be asked to search both separately, s/he should get results from all.
gh4z4nf4r
Naik

Post by gh4z4nf4r »

aoa,
my answer to the pruning thing would also be a NO.because there are lots of valuable tips in old posts that one reads whenever there is a need. and most of the users dont ask questions but just browse the categories and try to find there answer in the old posts.and if there is anything left to be clarified they then ask there question. as u can see most of the posts are started by a single person's questions but with time lots of ppl come in helping and asking questions. and there are many other reasons too. But if u want to delete the posts than the ones with general discussions e.g "changing the hacking scenario in subcontinent" should be deleted as they are of no use
farhanksa
Subedar

NO from my site also

Post by farhanksa »

NO from my site also

bcz the frequently asked q? r asked again adn again by newbies and they r replied all the times with differnet maners...
but if there is a very serious problem for the space then pls remove the threads which r not usefull
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Well, it seems that the general consensus is that the forum should not be pruned. I've disabled pruning.

Faraz.Fazil, you were right. Our whole database is 8.x MB right now, so we are not facing a space crunch and probably won't in the near future.

However, I maintain my position on posting good information. If you have a step-by-step guide for doing some task that people ask for frequently, instead of it being embedded inside the forum, I'd really prefer if you guys would post it on the wiki and link it here. The searching and indexing capabilities of the wiki far exceed that of the forum. Furthermore, it is trivial to create an offline Knowledgebase of sorts from the wiki, while the forum is more freestyle, thus not very suitable for offline use.
spawnisalive
Lance Naik

Post by spawnisalive »

Hi,
my problum is that i am not able to find reliable linux redhat 9 installation CD's i have tried quite a few but to no sucess i wanted to if i can get a good copy from PLUC i live very near to PLUC infact i can see it from my window so timming is no problum i want to know about the availability.

Bye
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re: Red Hat 9 CD

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear spawnisalive,
Salam

You can get Red Hat 9.0 CD from

Mr Aamir Mahmood
Karachi Computer
Shop F-126 First Floor
Rainbow Center
Saddar
Karachi.

Voice :92-21-7787190
Ph. & Fax :92-21-7780330
E-mail :kc@pakban.net

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
spawnisalive
Lance Naik

Post by spawnisalive »

thx for the prompt reply but i already tried that shop but allas no use CD's i got from them are no use any othere suggestions plz ...... i really want to upgrade my linux b/c soon i have to do this in my office as our org wants to switch over to linux and can u also please recommend which version is best for novice users.

thx
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Red Hat 9.0 CD

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear spawnisalive,
I prefer you to go there again with these CD's and buy another CD and check the CD at their own PC.
Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed