Installation of PTCL Hauwaii Wireless set configuration

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
shoaibahmedbaig
Cadet

Installation of PTCL Hauwaii Wireless set configuration

Post by shoaibahmedbaig »

Salam ,

I m using fc6 and i want to configure ptcl hawaii wireless internet on the fc6. I m using this ptcl wirless internet on the windows xp and it is connected on 230 kbps and i want to run this internet on the fc6. The set is connected to the pc with serial to usb.So guys tell me how to configure the serial to usb in fc6 so i can run the internet on the fc6.

regards,

Shoaib Baig
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear shoaibahmedbaig,
Salam,

Great, now you need to search at this forum and you will find your answer.

FYI, http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/search.php

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
tariqzia
Cadet

Post by tariqzia »

Please visit http://www.openpages.info/huawei.html . I have put my whole configuration with HUAWEI on that site.

Thanks And Regards

Tariq Zia
shoaibahmedbaig
Cadet

Thanks and let me check

Post by shoaibahmedbaig »

Salam,

Thanks. let me check if there is any error and i will paste right it here

Best Regards,

Shoaib Baig
Shoaib Ahmed

Registered Linux User # 439813
sarthor
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by sarthor »

tariqzia wrote:Please visit http://www.openpages.info/huawei.html . I have put my whole configuration with HUAWEI on that site.

Thanks And Regards

Tariq Zia
Salam O Alykum,
Setting mentioned about the ptcl Vwireless on the url http://www.openpages.info/huawei.html is not working for ubuntu 5.10
ti_usb_3410_5052 1-1:1.0: TI USB 3410 1 port adapter converter detected

ti_usb_3410_5052: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -5
after doing same as mentioned in that page, my ubuntu machine shows the error in the the output of "dmesg -c"
ti_usb_3410_5052: probe of 1-2:1.0 failed with error -5
I mean to say that the error is a bit changed.
Any idea?

Allah Hafiz.
Tefl E Maktab
-----------------------------
----- ----- ----- ------ ------ -------
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

the changed numbers (1-1 to 1-2) probably refer to the usb hub you plugged the device into. if so, it'll be different on different systems.
sarthor

Post by sarthor »

Salam O Alykum

I can see 1-1 instead of 1-2, Yes i have changed the usb hub.

The error 5 still presists

Allah Hafiz.
Tefl E Maktab
DivineLight
Naik

Post by DivineLight »

Thanks Tariq Zia, it works great for Ubuntu Dapper Drake, 6.06 LTS.

@sarthor: Your problem maybe because of older kernel with Ubuntu 5.10. And also make sure that you have this ETS2551 model for which this guide was written because I think for other models the Vendo Id which you hardcode in the rule file would be different.
sarthor

Post by sarthor »

DivineLight wrote:Thanks Tariq Zia, it works great for Ubuntu Dapper Drake, 6.06 LTS.

@sarthor: Your problem maybe because of older kernel with Ubuntu 5.10. And also make sure that you have this ETS2551 model for which this guide was written because I think for other models the Vendo Id which you hardcode in the rule file would be different.
Salam Alykum
Thank you brother, I have same modle of equeptment for which that guide was written, but seems like its due to my old kernal.
I am waiting for the Cds from ubuntu, will try it on never kernal.

Allah Hafiz.
Tefl E Maktab
DivineLight
Naik

Post by DivineLight »

Definitely it's because of older kernel. Because I am replying you for the first time with my linux box with the stupid Huwaii modem :)
sarthor

Post by sarthor »

Salam O Alykum,
Yes Its working on ubuntu having the latest kernel, and one thing that in ubuntu it get the DNS auto, from the isp.

Using net on ubuntu now. I like it. :)
Tefl E Maktab
DivineLight
Naik

Post by DivineLight »

Good to see another linux user on net. :)

Yes Net experience is really cool on Ubuntu. N Yes, we I didn't edit the "/etc/resolv.conf" and my internet worked great.
ahmerin
Cadet

Post by ahmerin »

Salams all,

Does anyone know how to configure the same phone in ubuntu 8.04? I have tried instructions on this thread but the same error does not go away.

any help will be appreciated.

wasalam
Ahmerin
Muhammad Saad
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by Muhammad Saad »

Recently I had to configure the modem on my cousin's computer who is using Ubuntu 7.10. The same method may work for 8.04 as well.

I was getting the same error even after I edited the rule file i.e; it would choose configuration #1 instead of #2 for the USB to serial cable. So after about three hours of trying I got it to work at last. Of course there may be better solutions than mine as I am no expert (I had never read the man file for udev before) but here is what I did.

First I edited /etc/wvdial.conf and then I made a script named ptcl-connect in the home directory of the user.

Code: Select all

#/bin/bash
echo 'echo 2 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1/bConfigurationValue' | sh
#For some strange reason "sh -c [command]" was not working.
wvdial ptcl
(The path to the file bConfigurationValue may be different on your system. for example it may be /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1/bConfigurationValue. Just see which directory is created on connecting the cable in /sys/bus/usb/devices.)

Then I made a launcher on the desktop for the script. I set the type as "Application in terminal" so that I can easily stop wvdial by Ctrl+C and the command as "gksu [path to script]" so that it is run with root permissions. (This step was done on GNOME so it may be a little different for other desktop environments.)

For DNS I added the DNS servers for OpenDNS because PTCL's DNS servers do not work well on my dial-up connection.

After that I was able to use the modem by double-clicking the launcher. The only problem was that I could not connect because internet on his set has not yet been activated even after a whole month.
BAKWAAS SERVICE!!! :evil:
Muhammad Saad
Battalion Havaldaar Major

Post by Muhammad Saad »

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that if I would set the value of "RUN" in the rule file as "echo 'echo 2 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-1/bConfigurationValue' | sh", it would make the processor usage go to 100% and the output of dmesg would show the following lines again and again:

Code: Select all

[  268.646167] ti_usb_3410_5052 1-1:2.0: TI USB 3410 1 port adapter converter detected
[  268.648191] usb 1-1: TI USB 3410 1 port adapter converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[  268.650325] ti_usb_3410_5052_1 ttyUSB0: TI USB 3410 1 port adapter converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[  268.651025] ti_usb_3410_5052 1-1:2.0: device disconnected
[  268.774606] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 4
which means that udev is connecting and disconnecting the device again and again. I do not know whether the problem is with udev or sh. The strange thing is that killing and restarting udev would cure the problem.
Can someone try to find out the reason?