How To instal Drivers ?

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
arpanet
Naik

Post by arpanet »

ADAB..

ONE thing more that i notice to day when fist time isntal Apachi Modem in windows it use com1
i instal again it took com 4 and not works.
i reinstal it took com 3 and start working ..
i did not understand is this also can meke any Pro..

i get tHE drivers as u mention. ALLAH karay kay kam ban jay :( to sad..
else i also had to sale this modem and get the Lusent :(
RAB RAKAHA..
{s7r1k3r}
Be MiNe.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Ok.
Do download the drivers i mentioned and try them out.
I already gave the install instructions before.

Normally com1 in windows is ttys0 in linux...com2 in winows is ttys1 and com3 in windows is ttys2 in linux/

Also with your existing modem setup, you could first try changing the modem device...like /dev/ttys02 or any other combination.
farhanksa
Subedar

yar ur modem is not a good guy

Post by farhanksa »

yar ur modem is not a good guy :)

its very long that u cant config ur modem....as services of modem_dr r available.......i had been using rockwell...conexant..sm56..intel-ham lucent....pctel modem frequently..........
i can contact me if u like..good luick to u
arpanet
Naik

Post by arpanet »

ADAB..

i use all there cmade to run the file but i did not see any thing that

rpm -i hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt03091200free-1.i386.rpm
rpm -i hsfmodem-{v.90}.{arch}.rpm
rpm -i hsfmodem-{v.92}.{arch}.rpm
rpm -i hsfmodem-6.03.00lnxt03091200free-1.i386.rpm.zip

which would be working then i give try to
hsfconfig but when i do this it say
could not run the spacifed cmand.. :(

i try to open /dev/ttySHSF0 it say dose not exist..
then i try /dev/modem and aslo try to find with the modem version insted of modem but the same dose not exist..

then i give a last change and click on the zip file is open then
i click on the rpm file it start installaiong then
i fell happy and think me be it works.. now
i go 4 the hsfconfig but same not the reocognize camnd and
/dev/ttySHSF0 dose not exist ..
same with the /dev/modem also try with modem version like /dev/v.90 and /dev/v.92 but found noting to dooo

AND also tell me where should i plce the drviers beforgive the cmand as i put it on the desktop ... and i type the cmandes in ren .. is i type the cmanded on the right Place...

as we found the driver 4 intel v.90 up to linux Red Had 7.2 and 7.3
did u sugest that i should instal Red Hat 7.3 and give a try to Intel Modem ..

as whlie i am trying to configer i had made some chages and
on boot system stope to activewat ppp0 and take too much time and stops there not go further and i instal linux again.

now what to do...

RAB RAKAHA...
{s7r1k3r}
Be MiNe.
farhanksa
Subedar

psl tell me which and how many modems do u have

Post by farhanksa »

psl tell me which and how many modems do u have

i dont recomend that u install rh 7.3 just that u want modem to work in there...
1 thing keep in mind that untill u sucessfuly install the rpm u cant run the command hsfconfig ...and when u successfuly run hsfconfig command then it will activate /dev/ttyHSF0 or /dev/modem...

/dev/modem is the logiacal link to actuall model port setting
farhanksa
Subedar

Post by farhanksa »

use the command

ln /dev/ttyHSF0 /dev/modem

so that u can set ur modem port from list box using kppp

also first query modem after changing the port settting
farhanksa
Subedar

Post by farhanksa »

keep in mind that

/dev/ttyso ,s1,s2,s3 are equallent to commport 1 ,2,3,4 respectivelt...

and u can only(mostly) access ur modem through these ports if ur modem is external (bcz u map commport 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 to any of the serial physical port in bios)
or if ur modem is ISA with jumpers for commport setting ...(keep in mind that if u use isa jumpered modem set the jumper to the port which is not already mapped to serial q or b or mother board.....usually mouse ad\nd external modem r attached to serail phyiscal port( mostly 9 pin and rarely 25 pin serial port))
arpanet
Naik

Post by arpanet »

ADAB..

Modem is Apachi internal soft 56k pci.

as i plug out my Intel modem and plug in Apachi Modem linux found new hard where and discribe it as.

"The following Modem has beed added to your system.
Unknow Vendor| Unknow device 1410:1035"

as it found modem on start up then why when try to conect it say modem dose not found through kPPP ?

i have 2 modem but not using both at same time one is Intle v90 and second as i tell .

tell is that method i do to instal driver is right or not ?

RAB RAKAHA...
{s7r1k3r}
Be MiNe.
arpanet
Naik

Post by arpanet »

ADAB...

This is the step by step method that i do to install drivers on the last time..
to have a look on the Pictures you had to copy past it in the browser else it will not show it ..

http://arpanet1.tripod.com/linux/1.GIF

http://arpanet1.tripod.com/linux/2.GIF

http://arpanet1.tripod.com/linux/3.GIF

http://arpanet1.tripod.com/linux/4.GIF
i am alble to see the installtion up to this windos after that it gose some where i did not know what hapeed .. is the driver instaled or not dont know but kppp show no modem found...

http://arpanet1.tripod.com/linux/5.GIF

This is the informaiton about pci divice that is shown by the system..
and it show that modem apachi is in the system.. but y did it not works :(

http://arpanet1.tripod.com/linux/6.GIF

RAB RAKAHA..
{s7r1k3r}
Be MiNe.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Only the sixth image portrays some info.
The rest are useless and donot give any information.

First of all, arpanet, you should have installed the hsf rpm using rpm -Uvh rpmname.rpm command in terminal.

Do a rpm -q hsfmodem and see if the rpm is installed.In any case do install it again using rpm -Uvh hsfmodem* after changing to appropriate directory.

If nothing works, then arpanet do is:

1.Take the modem out of your system
2.Insert the Intel V90 modem in the system's slot, check if the bios has correct com port settings.First check it with windows.If it works with windows, then it means your bios comm settings are correct)

3.Uninstall linux 9 and Install RedHat Linux 7.1 (uninstall the current version you have, by deleting the partition and swap in disk druid , and creating new ones)

4.Install the display driver in rh 7.1 as u already did.
5.Install the intel v90 modem driver which is compatible with redhat linux 7.1

(Note: Install redhat linux 7.1 and not 7.2/7.3 because the intel v90 modem driver is compatible with kernel 2.2.12 to 2.2.18 and redhat 7.1 has kernel 2.2.16 which is compatible with intel v90 modem, where as 7.2/7.3's kernel is not compatible with intel v90 modem)

6.Check if all works well.

If u accompilsh the above succesfully, then well done.You will have ur linux box up and running the net.

Later on you could try recompiling the linux kernel to the latest version 2.4.22 and see if it works on it or not.Even if u recompile your kernel, you will still have the old working one.So it would just be a test, and even if the new kernel does not work with the modem, you could still use the old working one.
Last edited by Faraz.Fazil on Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re: Installing Drivers

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear All PLUCians,
Salam,
Yeah Faraz.Fazil you are right i had checked these link these are not working i think some kinda problem durring uploading. any way arpanet please upload them some where else like www.brinkster.com so we can see these pictures. do it as soon as you can do.
Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

I can see the images now.
Faraz.Fazil wrote:Only the sixth image portrays some info.

First of all, arpanet, you should have installed the hsf rpm using rpm -Uvh rpmname.rpm command in terminal.

Do a rpm -q hsfmodem and see if the rpm is installed.In any case do install it again using rpm -Uvh hsfmodem* after changing to appropriate directory.

If nothing works, then arpanet do is:

1.Take the modem out of your system
2.Insert the Intel V90 modem in the system's slot, check if the bios has correct com port settings.First check it with windows.If it works with windows, then it means your bios comm settings are correct)

3.Uninstall linux 9 and Install RedHat Linux 7.1 (uninstall the current version you have, by deleting the partition and swap in disk druid , and creating new ones)

4.Install the display driver in rh 7.1 as u already did.
5.Install the intel v90 modem driver which is compatible with redhat linux 7.1

(Note: Install redhat linux 7.1 and not 7.2/7.3 because the intel v90 modem driver is compatible with kernel 2.2.12 to 2.2.18 and redhat 7.1 has kernel 2.2.16 which is compatible with intel v90 modem, where as 7.2/7.3's kernel is not compatible with intel v90 modem)

6.Check if all works well.

If u accompilsh the above succesfully, then well done.You will have ur linux box up and running the net.

Later on you could try recompiling the linux kernel to the latest version 2.4.22 and see if it works on it or not.Even if u recompile your kernel, you will still have the old working one.So it would just be a test, and even if the new kernel does not work with the modem, you could still use the old working one.
arpanet
Naik

Post by arpanet »

ADAB..

BRO AS U TELL I TRY TO THAT AGIN ... AND

I all ready mention that u had to copy past the links if u like to have loon on the pic...

as farhanksa say me to make a contanct and last nigh i give him a call we try mnay cmands he tell me do that and this i do but modem not work now he give me tiem aftere monday let see hoping modem will work i will go to him home with my hard and modem he say he will help me last day we make try about 2 houre on pone ...

i really thatks full to Fraz and farhan alsoo coz he give me time in night after 2am... to 4 am.. thanks to himm.. and ll of u to help... now i wait till i meat him..

RAB RAKAHA...
{s7r1k3r}
Be MiNe.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear All PLUCians,
Salam,
Faraz.Fazil wrote:

Only the sixth image portrays some info.

I think Faraz.Fazil rpm -ivh will install the rpm Pakge and rpm -Uvh Update the Pakage If its Currently Installed.
Farrukh Ahmed
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear arpanet,
Give me Your Cell no i will call you and help you.
Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed