Windows vs Linux

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
barlas
Naib Subedar

Windows vs Linux

Post by barlas »

AOA!
Linux is much better than windows....

What are the diffrences between linux and windows and how linux is better? One factor is security what are the others?

Please describe in detail, so I can easily explain it to my friends and others who do not know about it.
Aqeel Zafar
farhanksa
Subedar

Post by farhanksa »

open source.......no licence fee (free )...but in pk windows dont have also:)
u can edit and part of the linux and make and configure it accordingt o u need....
works fine with limited h/w resources...
stable dont crashes like windows...

specially it dont makes ur processor hot :) really not joking i checked the same pc
using linux rh ,win98 and win2k
linux is kewl
98 makes the processor hot
and win2k makes the processor burning tawa :)
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Hi,

Are you asking about it for home use? or its performance in corporate arena not only at servers position, that includes desktop aswell?

If it is about corporate then I have many reasons to stay tune with the great OpenSource OS and other OpenSource Software.

We are running Linux as workstation aswell, not in 2 or 3 computers, mark is now 90 workstations and all are running Linux OS and GNU applications. From last 1 year and 4 months we are running them successfuly. The major difference i have seen is reliability. In said perioud we hardly re-install 10 workstations (not because of any problem in OS, it just happens because of hardware failure or bad configuration).

The other major thing is Copyright and Licences. As we all knows that in near future we will have some calculateable figures regarding software copyright laws and in corparate environemnt it is happeing. Rather buy licenses or switch to Linux simple ;)

When we were using M$ Windows OS there is hardly a week when we havent re-install Windows on 2 or 3 computers. Configuring drivers and installing other software is other mess.

Life becomes easy after getting into Linux. I cant write everything here but it is default choice for us.

We are using Database, Mail, Proxy, Fileserver and Live Backup Servers, and they all are serving workstations running Linux.

All of us (my staff) are using Linux at homes aswell and everything is fine. And any one is not afraid that his brother or sister can damage the system by installing / removing software and also prevent us from virus attacks. When i showed my brother AMSN his reply was (bhai yeh to bohot colorful hai) and from that day he is using AMSN to chat with relatives and friends.

GET STEP INTO OPENSOURCE WORLD AND BE HAPPY
CHEERS!
barlas
Naib Subedar

Post by barlas »

thnx for your replys. :)
Aqeel Zafar
sakbar
Naik

Post by sakbar »

yup open source greatest gift LINUX, if you are developer there are tons of stuff there to work on, if a networking enthusiast you will find all small to large scale solutions.

--shakeel
digitalsurgeon
Naik

Post by digitalsurgeon »

another useless topic to debate on ...
barlas
Naib Subedar

Post by barlas »

digitalsurgeon wrote:another useless topic to debate on ...
May be.......

Actually i have just switched to linux and told my friends about it, they asked me how linux is better than windows and why should one use it. I tried to search the answer on google etc but didn't find a satisfactory one,

So i just asked it here......

I Dont Need Debate; I Just Need Few Major Diffrences
Aqeel Zafar
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

barlas wrote:Actually i have just switched to linux and told my friends about it, they asked me how linux is better than windows and why should one use it. I tried to search the answer on google etc but didn't find a satisfactory one,

So i just asked it here......
why don't you just tell them why you switched? what were your reasons for switching?