issuesss!!!

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
slick
Naik

issuesss!!!

Post by slick »

okay,
i just recompiled my kernel changing from 2.4.18 to 2.4.19, everything seems to be
working fine except I DONT HAVE ANY INTERNET!!,,,when linux boots up, it sets my
eth0 to half duplex! i dont know why...i chose the rite module while configuring the new
kernel..heres what my lispci shows....

00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3104 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3177
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
00:13.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139 (rev 10)
00:14.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 46)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PF

my Ethernet controller is RTL-8193 which is the exact driver i chose...is there another way around it?..
can i manually tell it to use full duplex?
another issue is...i dont have sound..i didnt have any in 2.4.18 either..ive tried googling
for the sound card driver for the driver listed above..in the kernel...theres 2 VIA chipset
modules that i already have in mine...when i start xmms ...it gives me the erroe..Gdk-warning
ISO 8859-1
and reports that there are missing charsets in FontSet creation....
please hellp soooon
thanks
I only run as fast as my angels can fly
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

still...no replies..okay about the sound bit...the gdk warning is gone..but apparently it isnt the fonts that were the problem...i dont have sound modules.....i would recompile...but there are no modules specific to my sound card in 2.4.19....what to do what to do?
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

OK...first of all for the sound issue.

First of all try running sndconfig and see if it detects and configures your sound.
If it works good.

Otherwise it may be that your sound card isnt supported under the currently installed kernel or that u may need a seperate driver for it.

For the sound, is it an onboard sound?
Post the exact make and model of your motherboard if u have a builtin sound card or post tthe make and model of your sound card if it is non-builtin pci based.

Also clarify in detail as to what exact problem with sound are u facing.Are you now able to play files in xmms? Also note that to play mp3 on xmms u need mpg123 plugin which is not installed by default.So do try a valid method of checking if the sound works.If u suspect a problem with xmms u can use alternative methods to check your sound card.

Since lspci does list the multimedia audio controller, it may well be that your sound card is already installed and working.

If you are sure that your sound card is not installed or configured in linux, then ill help u do so.
but first find out if its installed aready and the problem may lie somewhere else.

Also check /etc/modules.conf to see if it has listed any sound modules.

Sound support is not neccsarilly in the form of modules.
It can be in the form of modules...or it can be built directly in the kernel.

Now for the internet

What type of internet connection do u use?
Do u use a desi cable net or do u use a dialup connection?
If u use a dialup connection, then u need to have POint to Point protocol (ppp) and modem support in the new kernel and u should have the modem installed correctly.
If u access the net thru Desi Cable net, u need to make sure that the ethernet connection works fine in the new kernel.
For the Realtek RTL 8139 use the 8139too driver.
For 8029 as use the ne2k-pci module.

Did the sound and internet work fine under the old kernel?
WHy did u use the 2.4.19 kernel when the latest version is 2.4.22?

Also as already said, post the complete make and model of your sound card and the method u use to access the internet.
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

thanks for the answer,
my soundcard is built in...imotherboard is Gigabyte 7VAXP-Ulltra for AMD...it has the VIA Technologies, Inc AC97 Audio Controller chipset sound card... rev(10) as i listed in the lspci output in the first post.....i couldnt get sound to work in the 2.4.18 kernel either...when i open xmms it used to give me the gdk warning..i figured that much out...was missing some fonts..installed them the warning was gone...but still now..when i tried cat /dev/sndstat ...it gives me "no such device" which probably means my sound card wasnt installed?...when i load an mp3 in xmms...and hit play..nothing happens and there is no progress bar...i havent installed mplayer yet...wanted to fix this n then install it....my etc/modules.conf has no sound entry in it.....is there a way to install sound support without having to recompile thekernel....im tired of having to do it again n again....i use a debian 3.0 which comes standard with 18 now..i just got this new motherboard..the other system i have works fine..it has a pci sound card.....there were some issues with the 2.4.21 and 22 kernel so im a lil hesitant on using them still.....so rite now...i have 2.4.18 on this machine...with no sound...net is working..but its because..it loads up a generic ethernet driver at boot with autonegotiatiing with the cable modem..im in california and i use AT&T cable...when i tried to use the original 8139too driver which is for fast ethernet..it didtn work...i dont know why?...hmmm..what else can i provide you with?...let me know
thanks,
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

heres another thing that might help you.....
when i run xmms and i drag the volume bar to full..i can hear the static sound grow louder...but still no progress bar and no sound
thanks again
slick
Naik

update

Post by slick »

so i fiddle around a bit more...i change get the mpg321 plugin...and now this is what im getting...i open xmms and i play the song...the progress bar is there...but doesnt move...it gives me the track time and everything..i can drag the progress bar ahead but alll that does is play a little "tick" sound in the speakers so somewhere something is still not right..i feel im getting close....also...looking at the other post..i installed sndconfig...it tells me that the VIA 8233 chipset soundcard has been detected...then it takes me to the next screen saying you will hear a sound now when you press ok to make sure your soundcard is working...when i click ok...sndconfig hangs up....so i have to use the interrupt to get out of it....? closer/farther/still there?
:S
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....
after losing all my hair...i finally took the step to upgrade to 2.4.22 and all my problems were solved...apparently in kernels > 2.4.20 ...the correct version of the soundcard drivers have been added..which are ...VIA 823x, in kernels before that..the modules were for VIA 82xx which did not work for the AC97 chipsets!...as for the network...in the 2.4.22 kernel..there were specific drivers for 8193 Realtek which seem to work like a charm...i hope this information is helpful to others in the same ditch...otherwise the admin can just put this thread to dump coz its all my bs. :p
Thanks again faraz!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

You Welcome.

Bingo and Well done!
Good to hear that man.
Thats why I always recommend to compile the latest kernel.
slick wrote:ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....
after losing all my hair...i finally took the step to upgrade to 2.4.22 and all my problems were solved...apparently in kernels > 2.4.20 ...the correct version of the soundcard drivers have been added..which are ...VIA 823x, in kernels before that..the modules were for VIA 82xx which did not work for the AC97 chipsets!...as for the network...in the 2.4.22 kernel..there were specific drivers for 8193 Realtek which seem to work like a charm...i hope this information is helpful to others in the same ditch...otherwise the admin can just put this thread to dump coz its all my bs. :p
Thanks again faraz!
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear slick,
Salam,

Wish You Best Of Luck :! and if you got any other kinda problem then let us know hope we will help you :!

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
spawnisalive
Lance Naik

Post by spawnisalive »

congrats slick i hope all is going well.
all the mails are very informative and they have also helped me alot so don't u worry abt them

bye