can i use vb, photoshop, oracle, corel draw, and much more..

Taking care of your Linux box.
leolove
Naik

can i use vb, photoshop, oracle, corel draw, and much more..

Post by leolove »

hi all
this is my 2nd post
you all told me very useful things about my first post.....

my questions are :

1) may i know how i use some windows based application in linux such as :
a) Visual Basic 6.0
b) Adobe Photoshop 7.0
c) Corel Draw 10
d) Sql Server & Oracle 8i
e) Macromedia Free Hand
f) some windows based games
g) Microsoft Isa Server Client
h) Active Server Pages (Means Any Web Server)

2) the second question is that can i use isa client in linux and how?

3) if i make server on linux, what will i do for making it a proxy
a) installing some other proxy server
b) linux has a proxy built in in it?

3)if i make server on linux what i do on client side to run the internet? (clients are windows based)

4) is windows client can see the linux system in network neighbour hood
(i tried. it can ping but not shown in network place)

please guide me
i m a new user
so guide me step by step and in easy understandable langauge.
Thank You[/i][/code]
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

leolove,
vb apps, photoshop, etc. can be run using wine. It comes with almost all Linux distros and has a very good success rate (one of the big animation studios uses it to allow their artists to use Photoshop on their Linux workstations).
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear LeoLove,
Salam,

Sir you can use these kinda Applications Under Linux but you must have their Dynamic Link Libary at the same Folder. any way you can use Wine HQ and i Prefer you LeoLove You must Find Post Over Linux Pakistan Forum . bcoz there is already a post by Faraz.Fazil. http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... .php?t=624

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
leolove
Naik

thankx alot but it is not a full answer

Post by leolove »

thankx
but there is some more questions is this topic
please also answered it for me
thank you again
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

with the applications you want to run, I would rather use a windows machine directly than to run alll those apps under wine. for making it a server...take a look at the apache documentation.
gluck
I only run as fast as my angels can fly
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear LeoLove,
Salam,

Sir, 1st For Webbrowsering Via ISA Server in Linux. http://www.linuxhq.com/ldp/howto/Web-Br ... HOWTO.html, and also prefer http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... .php?t=632 2nd for Create a Linux Machine as Gateway you must use Squid as Proxy Server. and also check this out http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... .php?t=414. and 3rd If you want to show your Linux Machine in your Windows Clients then you can use Samba Server to do that. also see these post like http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... .php?t=579
Hope these Links Help you Alot if you have any problem then letme know we will here to help you out.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
fawad
Site Admin

OT:

Post by fawad »

leolove, Kindly post one question per post. The thread gets really unorganized if there are more than one question per post. It also makes it easier to refer to that post later on if a similar queston pops up. Hope you understand.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear fawad,
Salam,

Hope, he will understand and next time he won't these kinda things. LeoLove Kindly Don't Post More then one Question and before Post your Query Serach @ Linux Pakistan Forum.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

leo, if you really want to use all of them then why dont you use windows OS? Or if i try to simplify your question then it must look like this "Can i use Windows and other software built for Windows in Linux!"??? and for this try Win4Lin if i am not wrong.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear PLUCians,
Salam,

Farhan bahi don't make him to think like that we are not able to help him out. actually there are lots of newbies and i am aksing about some kinda page like that from which when new user registered to forum then at the time of 1st login they see that page instead of forum. and after that they will login normally to the Forum.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

Oh no, dont get me wrong any of you specially leolove, i didnt meant that, i really didnt meant to condem anything. I just gave my honest statement. You know running a software or running a software with stability are different things that was the main reason of my post. I hope that will clear all ambiguities.

Cheers!
Last edited by farhantoqeer on Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear All PLUCian's
Salam,

Ummmm, Cheers :!!

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Yes You can run windows applications in linux!

You can do so through a linux software like wine.

Goto www.winehq.com and download it from there.
You have two options.You can download and install sources, or u can download and install binaries.

Installing binaries (.rpm) is easier than installing sources which requires you to issue a series of lengthy make commands .So i recommend u to download and install wine in rpm format for redhat linux from:

http://winehq.com/?page=download

ONce u have downloaded the rpm then install it by:

rpm -Uvh wine-YYYYMMDD-i386.rpm

enter the suitable filname that u have.

Once u download and install wine, you can run any windows application by typing this command in terminal:

wine completepathto.exefile

example:

wine /mnt/FarazWinDrive/ProgramFiles/OutlookExpress/MSOE.exe

Also crossoveroffice and cross plugin are good products too:

crossover has two more products:

1.CrossOver office
2.CrossOver plugin

Here is what these two programs do: (description taken from program website codeweavers.com)
====================================================
CROSSOVER PLUGIN

CrossOver Plugin lets you use many Windows plugins directly from your Linux browser. In particular CrossOver fully supports:
QuickTime
ShockWave Director
Windows Media Player 6.4
Word Viewer
Excel Viewer
PowerPoint Viewer
and more...

CrossOver works on any x86 based Linux distribution and will integrate with most browsers including Netscape 4.x, Netscape 6.x, Konqueror, Mozilla, Galeon and Opera. For detailed system requirements [click here]. CrossOver also integrates with Gnome and KDE to let you transparently open any Word, Excel or PowerPoint file. But even better, you can open these attachment types directly from any mail client.

Because CrossOver uses the native Windows plugins, you get the best compatibility possible. For instance this is the only 'QuickTime on Linux' solution that supports the Sorenson movie format used by most sites.

Finally CrossOver and the related Windows plugins are very easy to install and you do not even need to be root. So give it a try!
===========================================================

CROSSOVER OFFICE

CrossOver Office allows you to install your favorite Windows productivity applications in Linux, without needing a Microsoft Operating System license. CrossOver includes an easy to use, single click interface, which makes installing a Windows application simple and fast.

Once installed, your application will integrate directly with your Gnome or KDE environment. Just click and run your application, exactly as you would in Windows, but with the full freedom of Linux.

CrossOver Office is capable of running a range of Windows software, but CodeWeavers will support the following applications:
Microsoft Office XP, 2000 and 97
Microsoft Word
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft Powerpoint
Microsoft Outlook *
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Microsoft Access *
Adobe Photoshop
Microsoft Visio
Lotus Notes
Quicken
* Microsoft Access and Outlook supported in Office 2000 only

See our list of supported applications for more details.

CodeWeavers is continuously expanding the list of applications supported under CrossOver Office.
=================================================

So that plugin problem is solved as well.

Check www.codeweavers.com for more info.

[For using ISA with linux[/b]

Check this excellent howto:

http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Web-Br ... HOWTO.html

To set up /access your various network shares

first of all u need to set up your ethernet lan connection properly.For that first make sure that your ethernet card is installed, configured and working properly.

u use the samba server part to share stuff on your linux box....for windows clients to access....and u use samba client part to access shares stored on windows servers/boxes

To mount/access shares stored on windows machines, use the smbmount command.

Do a smbmount --help command in terminal for more info.

Note:

Search the forum before asking any question.I already explained all this stuff previously in earlier posts on the forum