which distribution?

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
phreek
Cadet

which distribution?

Post by phreek »

Hi everyone,

Ok my basic requirement is programming and learning linux. and of course music and movies.

So which distribution would be better for me, since im completely abandoning windows.

RedHat Shrike 9 OR Mandrake 9.1

Or should i wait for the Mandrake 9.2 to be released?

phreek out.....
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

phreek,
Both are good in their own ways. Try both before you settle on one. Redhat as a policy does not contain stuff that's non-free (i.e. not completely opensource and freely distributable), so you'll have to download additional code for stuff like mp3, ntfs etc. Mandrake is not so picky, so NTFS and mp3 support are both built-in.
farhantoqeer
Major General

Post by farhantoqeer »

as i remember this topic is already discussed in past. It is better to find out every thing about it from their.
rahil320
Naik

which distribution...?

Post by rahil320 »

RedHat is BEST......
Try it. :lol: 8)
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

phreak,
theres been quite a lot of debate on this issue as to which "flavor" of linux one should choose...it doesnt matter at all....wether you chose slackware, debian, redhat, mandrake, whatever....so just pick one. I willl, however, mention that redhat and mandrake seem to be easily accessible, both of which have pretty much the same roots...mandrake went off recently in trying to make things more user friendly...lost some of its credibility to the big corporations for technical use and got into issues with stability....but for a home user..proved to be a very good gui as well as welll packaged. Redhat is more oriented towards the professional environment...not much less in the gui especially with the new gnome coming out...but its known to have "some" dependency issues...which at times can be a little frustrating...but nothing that cant be handled...its stable and rigid though..well designed for corporate usage. so just pick one...and go from there
;)

p.s:
to all the other gurus n what not...no debates please...corrections welcome!
I only run as fast as my angels can fly
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Well answered by fawad and slick.

We already did a very lengthy discussion on this issue here:

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... ht=thought

Well this has remained a hot issue, as to which distribution is the best.
Well , as i always say, we must not forget, that most distros are same in the sense that they use the same core.They use the same kernel written by Linus Trovalds and available at kernel.org.

They use the same packages like xmms for mp3s, gnome or kde for the desktop and most of all the same XFREE86 and X. Only 10 %, of the softwares included in the distro are programmed by the distro maker itself.Rest are those written by 3rd party people/companies...for example gnome, kde or xmms

So the point is, which distro u use doesnt make much difference, if u are Good at linux!

The main difference between the distros is how they CUSTOMIZE and ORGANIZE the packages like how they customize gnome or Xfree86,and what packages they choose, and what extra programs and configuration tools they add by themselves.

So the point here is, there are tons of distros available there days.Most of them are same, in the aspects i already mentioned.

Choose the distro that best suits you.

For details visit that thread.

My Favourite is Redhat.

Im running redhat linux 9 with the latest kernel 2.4.22 and the latest gnome 2.4.0 desktop

(I recompiled my kernel to 2.4.22 and upgraded gnome by installing the latest version 2.4.0 through sources)
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear All PLUCian's
Salam,

With Recpect Faraz.Fazil, I always told you guys to make a page but no one take any action, fawad and silk you gave him right answer but Sir, how the newbie knew that this Topic have been discussed at Linux Pakistan Forum. Faraz.Fazil you also gave him right answer but he said "His bacis requirement is programming and learning linux. and of course music and movies." and it seems to be a newbie here.

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Re:

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Valid points friend.
I do create some threads at the wiki regularly as well...and i will make loads of more ..as soon as i get time.

Users can also search the forum at:

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/search.php

to see if their question has already been answered.

So a newbie should first search at the forum and the wiki to see if his question has already been answered.He/she should only ask a question if its answer does not exist yet.
LinuxFreaK wrote:Dear All PLUCian's
Salam,

With Recpect Faraz.Fazil, I always told you guys to make a page but no one take any action, fawad and silk you gave him right answer but Sir, how the newbie knew that this Topic have been discussed at Linux Pakistan Forum. Faraz.Fazil you also gave him right answer but he said "His bacis requirement is programming and learning linux. and of course music and movies." and it seems to be a newbie here.

Best Regards.
phreek
Cadet

Post by phreek »

Wow the greates number of rplies after the welcome thread.
Thankyou all for your contributions.

I have just finished downloading redhat shrike's third CD. So first I shall try this out.
Damn mandrake has released the 9.2 but the download is only available for the club members.

@Faraz.Fazil
Thanx for your big reply, maybe i was doped and somewhat lazy when i posted this thread, so i completely ignored the search link on the main page.

I do recommend of making a sticky thread of this soo much discussed and debated issue.

So i guess in the future ill be irritating you guys with more noob-like questions, so plz be patient.

phreek out.......
LinuxFreaK
Site Admin

Re:

Post by LinuxFreaK »

Dear All PLUCian's
Salam,

Sir, You can download Mandrak 9.2 Beta Version from any of Mirror Server Located on Mandrak Site

Best Regards.
Farrukh Ahmed
phreek
Cadet

Post by phreek »

the beta is out for quite some time but i was waiting for da final which is right currently only available for members. :cry:
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Np.Anytime man.
Feel free to ask any more questions you have.
We are here to help ya.

And yes, Mandrake 9.2 Final is not yet available for free download...but it will soon be available.

At the moment mandrake 9.1 final and 9.2 rc2 are avilable for free download.

www.linuxiso.org is the best place to download the latest complete distros in iso format for free.

Also , check my (Faraz.Fazil's) comprehensive article on How to Install Linux Without Cdrom , through iso images located at:

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/forum2x/vi ... ight=cdrom
phreek wrote:
@Faraz.Fazil

So i guess in the future ill be irritating you guys with more noob-like questions, so plz be patient.

phreek out.......