Mysql daabase on NAS

Taking care of your Linux box.
zafar466
Lance Naik

Mysql daabase on NAS

Post by zafar466 »

Hello,,,
how good is the idea of keeping the mysql database on NAS..???
Please advise.

Regards
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

it depends. do you want a high performance database server? if so, it's not a good idea.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
zafar466
Lance Naik

Post by zafar466 »

you might say performace as bit lower prority over stability

if i can give performance a bit in trade with high availability i would like to have that solution ....

what you think ????
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

you know what, i don't have any figures to show how much of a slowdown it'll be. try it out and see. maybe for your usage pattern, it won't be noticeable. still, i'd recommend a raid mirror as local storage.

probably the most important thing you need for performance is lots of ram. if your db fits in ram, and you do relatively few inserts and updates, you should be okay.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
zafar466
Lance Naik

Post by zafar466 »

i have not implemented NAS scenario yet but i can implement it and i can even send you some benchmarks of mysql before and after shifting to NAS . and i agree that performance will drop ....

the main thing i am looking forward to be answered..... is this scenrio more stable than master master replication ????..... is there anything that i should keep in mind regarding stability when thinking of NAS ?

thanks for being there

waiting for you reply .......
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

zafar466 wrote:the main thing i am looking forward to be answered..... is this scenrio more stable than master master replication ????.....
do you have multiple database servers ready to take the server's place if/when it dies? if not, then no, it's not better.
zafar466
Lance Naik

Post by zafar466 »

yes .... i can arrange two mysql servers for that running heartbean
so it will work ?
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

you're asking the wrong person. i don't use mysql, and i don't use nas.
dajazzguy
Naik

Post by dajazzguy »

well I still do not recommend running mysql over NAS since mysql not designed in such a way to run on NAS unlike oracle it does not have direct NFS feature plus there is no way that mysql instances running on different nodes communicate with each other for concurrency and locking if you use the default storage engines
MyISAM and Innodb.

I have experience managing mysql infrastructure for a social network having 1+ million users. If your are using the conventional storage engines they they are not made for it.
Mysql NDB Clustering does not have concept of shared disk like as in Oracle RAC. If you really want to use NAS they the best thing is to use federated storage engines on mysql 5 but still recommend master to master repl or master-slave repl with load balancer is a good and simple to manage.
And besides what are your database performance and storage requirements.
So the conclusion is running it on NAS is a big no no. You can contact me if you have any issues.

Farhan Diwan
System Administrator, RHCE
United Bank Limited.
zafar466
Lance Naik

Post by zafar466 »

i was having two mysql master-master replication setups but accidently electricity problem disturbed both of them .... on both setups one slave lost its state with reference to master .... for that reason i lost confidence over this master-master replication setup ....
can you please send some advice to make this replication of master master more stable ....

thanks for your help Farhan ... and i would really like to have discussion on it with you ... if you let me have phone chat with you ......

regards ,
Zafar
dajazzguy
Naik

Post by dajazzguy »

email me your contact details at
farhan.diwan@gmail.com

Regards

Farhan Diwan
System Administrator, RHCE
United Bank Limited.
x2oxen
Major General

mysql database

Post by x2oxen »

keep your nas server and database server on different machines if you have more than 200+ users strength who will be connecting to NAS.
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
http://usmanpk.com
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

you obviously don't know what "nas" means.
dajazzguy
Naik

Post by dajazzguy »

Dear x2oxen,

I do not think you have any clue about MySql or NAS either. If you do please be more specific as to what you are trying to convey. Your post does not make any sense to me.
Farhan Diwan
RHCE, Certified MySQL DBA
x2oxen
Major General

Network Access Server

Post by x2oxen »

lambda wrote:you obviously don't know what "nas" means.
Network Access Server which acts as an access control point for users in remote locations connecting to a company's internal network or to an ISP.
The NAS then connects to another resource asking whether the client's supplied credentials are valid. Based on that answer the NAS then allows or disallows access to the protected resource. And I think you talking bout that another resource where all users credentials exists in sql server...

Did I get wrong Lamda???
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
http://usmanpk.com