setting up grub for multiple boot machine

Discussion regarding the installation and configuration of Linux distributions.
sfh1975
Lance Naik

setting up grub for multiple boot machine

Post by sfh1975 »

friends,
i have a triple boot machine (XP, Ubuntu and Debian), but I want to test more distros. Problem is that my HDD space is limited. I know its possible to install linux on USB-HDD. But what would be the best strategy, should i edit the grub on main machine and point to the installations on the USB HDD or should i install grub on the USB HDD separately? In either case, can you provide some guidelines?
Thanks in advance,
Faisal
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

you could download and use vmware server. it's free.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
sfh1975
Lance Naik

Post by sfh1975 »

lambda wrote:you could download and use vmware server. it's free.
Thanks, I will try that but I guess it must have limited functionality than an actual install. Do you or any other friend has experience with that? Does it work fine? I have a duo core with 1 giga ram so i guess speed wont be an issue.
thanks,
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

sfh1975 wrote:Thanks, I will try that but I guess it must have limited functionality than an actual install.
you won't be able to play 3d games in it. that's about it.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
sfh1975
Lance Naik

Post by sfh1975 »

lambda wrote:
sfh1975 wrote:Thanks, I will try that but I guess it must have limited functionality than an actual install.
you won't be able to play 3d games in it. that's about it.
No problem, I dont need that. BTW, I tried but couldnt get VMWare working, now trying VMBox or something like that.
x2oxen
Major General

vm ware

Post by x2oxen »

use vm ware for this.
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
http://usmanpk.com
sameer666
Naik

Post by sameer666 »

hi

to be honest there is no need to test all the distro, as the basic principle structure is same, but there are subtle difference which in my humble opinion wouldn't provide u a great learning curve. better to build you knowledge for one and when it start to makes sense then u can chose or experiment which one suits u, ubuntu is a great distro stick with it.
Novice at heart
x2oxen
Major General

Multiple Distro

Post by x2oxen »

Well in my opinion we should give a try to all of them and then decide with which one we should stick. No Doubt Ubuntu is a real good one
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
http://usmanpk.com
sameer666
Naik

Re: Multiple Distro

Post by sameer666 »

x2oxen wrote:Well in my opinion we should give a try to all of them and then decide with which one we should stick. No Doubt Ubuntu is a real good one
sorry to disagree slightly, imho they are all have the same base line same gnu commands, same gnome/kde/xfce/enlightment/compiz/compiz-fusion n most of all same kernel. they do differ how they are installed how packagement is done, etc.
Novice at heart
sfh1975
Lance Naik

Re: Multiple Distro

Post by sfh1975 »

sameer666 wrote:
x2oxen wrote:Well in my opinion we should give a try to all of them and then decide with which one we should stick. No Doubt Ubuntu is a real good one
sorry to disagree slightly, imho they are all have the same base line same gnu commands, same gnome/kde/xfce/enlightment/compiz/compiz-fusion n most of all same kernel. they do differ how they are installed how packagement is done, etc.
Aren't rpm-based different from debian based? What about bsd? I have no idea, frankly. I only use ubuntu and debian while virtually tested fedora, and installed puppy on an old pc but dont use it.
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

bsd isn't linux.