How to configure/install ZTE-Pakistan /VWireless/CDMA phone

Share your expert knowledge and show off your skills.
Shamshir
Cadet

How to configure/install ZTE-Pakistan /VWireless/CDMA phone

Post by Shamshir »

I’ve seen a couple of articles on how to configure CDMA wireless phone on Ubuntu but they are not user friendly or even for new linux user switching from Windows. I was not able to find on for other distros. I’ve been using PCLinuxOS 2007 for quite sometime and before that I was a RedHat/Fedora fan. I’ve also used the Ubuntu but was not quite satisfied.

PCLinuxOS 2007 is the one I found for new users as well as for experts. Its ease of use and out-of-box multimedia support for restricted file formats are the reasons why one should prefer it over Ubuntu or any other distro as they need you to download the certain packages and codecs for multimedia support. PCLinuxOS 2007 is also highly recommended for its simple and effective installer which has been built for the new users keeping in mind. I’m not going to explain it all and now focus on how to configure for CDMA phone modem.

Using PCLinuxOS 2007, the configuration for the CDMA phone modem (Specially, for PTCL ZTE VWireless phone in Pakistan) is the easiest way on earth. The users of Ubuntu defiantly have to suffer the complications regarding the configuration and installation of the said modem. They have to create/edit a couple of files manually to get the modem work.
Here is how you can do it easily…..

Connect your ZTE VWireless phone with system. Make sure that the cable is properly connect at both ends i.e. the phone and the usb port of system. Some distributions will not detect the ZTE VWireless phone and you’ve to do it manually.

Fire up the root terminal ’Konsole’ (better and easy to login as ‘root’) and issue the following command.

modprobe cdc-acm

for other distros, if it don’t work use the following….

modprobe acm

Now type in ‘cat /proc/modules’ command and look in the output if cdc-acm like or acm is there (For PCLinuxOS 2007 ‘cdc-acm’ will be there).

To Double check the success of detection, type in ‘dmesg’ and look in the output for ‘ttyACM0’. Its occurrence is the guarantee that you’ve succeeded.

Go to Menu InternetRemote Access and launch Kppp.
This is a connection manager for linux as most of the users know it.
Click on Configure, go to Modems tab and click on ‘New’ button.
In ‘New Modem-KPPP’ window, select’/dev/ttyACM0’ from ‘Modem device:’ drop down menu. Put the name for modem as per you ease i.e. VWireless. Change the ‘Connection speed:’ to ‘460800’ and click ‘OK’.

Select the ‘Accounts’ tab and click on ‘New’ to create new connection.
An information window will pop up asking you to whether use ‘Wizard’ or ‘Manual Setup’ for connection creation. Select ‘Manual Setup’. Type in Connection name and click on ‘Add’ button to add dialing number which is ‘#777’ globally for PTCL VWireless phone. Click ‘OK’,’OK’ and finally ‘OK’.

Put in your username “vwireless@ptcl.comâ€
Shamshir
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

it's like that with ubuntu...except i didn't have to modprobe. it worked out of the box for me (6.06).
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
cmnajs
Cadet

Direct Solution to Internet

Post by cmnajs »

GNOME PPP is a GNOME Internet dialer tool providing you a quick solution to find out your modem device with a simple click on "DETECT" button in front of Modem Device in setup..
You can simply get GNOME PPP by seaching the string "gnome-ppp" in the package manager of your distribution.
Like in Synaptic Package Manager of ubuntu disritbution....