No more MSN/Yahoo IM through 3rd party messengers.

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

No more MSN/Yahoo IM through 3rd party messengers.

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

============================

Yahoo and MSn messenger services are planning upgrades to their instant messaging software that will block access via third-party IM applications such as Trillian for windows /gaim for linux or other 3rd party IM Clients.

Yahoo representatives said Wednesday that the company warned users of older versions of its IM client software to upgrade to newer applications or risk getting shut out of its network. Yahoo is giving users until Sept. 24 to install current editions of its software, according to company spokeswoman Mary Osako.

MSN Messenger representatives have given similar statements as well.
On Oct. 15 3rd party im client users will also lose access to the Microsoft MSN IM.

Both MSn ANd yahoo are saying that they are doing this to stop spammers from advertising through their IM clients...and that they will communicate with 3rd party im client developer relating to this issue...but still this remains to be seen as to whether one will be able to use 3rd party clients to access yahoo and msn IM accounts or not after the prescribed period.

AOL tried this in the past and trillian kept figuring out a way around AOL. Finally AOL gave up!

=============================

I think and i hope that 3rd party im clients will find some workaround for this.

It is indeed nice to have one software like trillian for windows or gaim for linux to access all your im accounts, and i hope people will be able to use 3rd party clients like gaim etc even after the prescribed periods.As on Oct 10 2003, msn is still working on gaim and other 3rd party clients.
Linux for Life!
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Hmm,
Not sure about MSN, but GAIM 0.68+ work fine with the new yahooo protocol.
slick
Naik

Post by slick »

amsn0.83 is out...and they claim to have support for the new msn protocol. Lets see...http://amsn.sourceforge.net works fine...and i like the amac skin too:)
I only run as fast as my angels can fly
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

AS i said, 3rd party IM clients will keep on finding workout for this.

Here are some official statements from gaim's website:

====================================

Source: http://gaim.sourceforge.net

1. October 10th, 2003 - 1:54AM EDT Gaim 0.71. Please kill my roommate

Gaim 0.71 is out

Gaim's news and statements about Yahoo IM

2. September 28th, 2003 - 9:53PM EDT 0.70

Our friends over at Cerulean Studios managed to break my speed record at cracking Yahoo authentication schemes with an impressive feat of hackery. They sent it over and here it is in Gaim 0.70. However, certain details of the authentication scheme depend on the challenge string the server sends us, and there's really no way to tell what it does until Yahoo starts sending new challenge strings. So you can expect a few more breakages to come soon. I wouldn't sign offline if I were you. Peep the ChangeLog.

3. September 26th, 2003 - 1:55PM EDT Yahoo! Messenger and 0.69
You may have noticed that Yahoo has ceased working. The fix in 0.69 (of which (slightly broken) source packages are currently available) was not adequate.
======================================

Gaim's Statements about possible MSN shutoff to 3rd party clients on OCT 15

Complete article: http://gaim.sourceforge.net/msn.php

The following was written by a Gaim developer, Christian Hammond, who is responsible for much of Gaim's MSN code. Christian has been following the situation closely, and below is his summary of it. However, his views are not necessarily the views of all the Gaim developers and should not be taken as an "official" statement. Rob and I are presently looking into the best course of action and will be sure to keep you up to date. We both remain confident (as does Christian) that Gaim will have no problems connecting to MSN Messenger in the near future.
--Sean Egan, 23 August, 2003

A lot of people have been asking about whether MS's latest decisions regarding MSN will affect us. Here's the general information on what they're doing.

MS has decided that everyone should upgrade to MSN version 5.0 or higher. MSN v5 is the first to use their MSN Protocol v8, which is the first to use SSL for login. Now, we know how to login over this. This is not hard, and we will be supporting MSNP9, the latest version of the protocol, soon.

However, upgrading to this does not guarantee us anything. Whereas previously, Microsoft has let third party clients connect, they now require a license for doing so. They still encourage clients to connect to their network, so with any luck, we can work something out. If not, people may find a way to connect anyway, but the legalities of this are pretty obvious. Key words: "Intellectual Property" and "DMCA."

We cannot give a yes or a no to the question, "Will Gaim continue to work after October 15th?" (Which, btw, is the day that third party clients not using MSNP8 or higher will be unable to connect). We will do our best, but if it comes down to it, we will drop MSN support. If you have a lot of friends on MSN, perhaps it's the time to migrate them. Get them to install Gaim ;) Then they can continue to talk to their MSN friends, but move to Jabber or another protocol.

==============================
Linux for Life!
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Yup...heard of it.

===========================
AMSN Release candidate version for 0.83
Support for MSNP9 protocol (should work after october 15th).
===========================

Currently still a cvs build....final build will be released soon.
For the moment u can use the cvs build as well.
slick wrote:amsn0.83 is out...and they claim to have support for the new msn protocol. Lets see...http://amsn.sourceforge.net works fine...and i like the amac skin too:)
Linux for Life!
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

well we still have ICQ :lol: (Till they decide to go commercial like MSN :cry: )
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

Of course there's always Jabber (opensource, XML based documented protocol, free clients, distributed setup support) and IRC (old as earth itself, protocol is a semi-easy-to-understand RFC, gobs of clients and servers).