Mandrake 9.2 is out!

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
fawad
Site Admin

Mandrake 9.2 is out!

Post by fawad »

Check out the announcement at mandrakelinux.com. Features are listed there too.
mahin
Major

Mandrake 9.2 is out!

Post by mahin »

Yes! but this is for those who can pay $ 60.00 others will have to wait for another few weeks.

No! do not even think about it :) We will not help or assist any one in distributing copy till its release to public is allowed by Mandrake itself [ some time in November, no fix date yet ].

If you are in rush and wish to be proud owner of Mandrake 9.2 and willing to pay $ 60.00 to Mandrake [ Please do if you can afford ], need any assistance then do contact us. cd@linux.net.pk
khalido
Lance Naik

Post by khalido »

Open for Business reviews Mandrake 9.2, seems very impressive.
We were especially impressed with the Discovery Edition's enhancements, but all of the different editions benefit from many of these improvements, as well as some that are beyond the scope of this preview. Four release cycles after MandrakeSoft first seriously took aim at the corporate desktop, it is my opinion that they have overwhelmingly succeeded. Mandrake Linux 9.2 exhibits a level of refinement that we have not previously encountered with a GNU/Linux distribution from any developer.
>> FIRST LOOK: Mandrake Linux 9.2 Discovery Edition
Fedora (the new Redhat) should also be out in a few weeks. Both of these distro's seem to have become really polished now, and with the 2.6 kernel should kickass. Now if only these el-cheapo modems would work properly in linux...
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

I'm particularly impressed by the fact that Mandrake claims that 9.2 is kernel 2.6 ready. That said, I've pretty much settled on Fedora for my home machine so I'll probably not be trying out Mdk 9.2 myself.

Is Mandrake, the downloadable version freely distributable (like RH9)?
mahin
Major

Mandrake 9.2 is out!

Post by mahin »

Yes! it will be GPL after it is officialy released by Mandrake.

I remember reading some where that they have allowed download in raw form but not ISO which is for members only.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that ver 9.0 was the last free version of Red Hat. Hence forth it will be sold [ there is a resellar in Pakistan now - Faisal Khan - http://www.netxs.com.pk ] and free version will be Fedora not Red Hat.
Last edited by mahin on Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
khalido
Lance Naik

Post by khalido »

Redhat has merged with the Fedora project, bascially what used to be Redhat Linux will now be called Fedora. The major reason for doing this is so there is a clear distinction between their enterprise product, and their consumer version. Redhat will continue devoloping Fedora, and incroporate changes from that into their main Enterprise OS. So the enterprise version will be sold, while Fedora will be offered as a download only version. Brave souls can d/l the enterprise sources and compile them!

Mandrake 9.2 comes with 2.6test6 kernel. You can choose during installation which kernel u want. The only prob with 9.2 is that the two ISO main downloadable version doesnt have developer and server tools. They're really aiming for the home market now.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Re: Mandrake 9.2 is out!

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Indeed

What i make of this issue is that, The free version of redhat will continue to be developed and released...but by fedora....and it will be called and released by the name fedora project
Redhat programmers will be working on it as well...just that it will not be released by redhat.

Work is already going on severn (beta phase)

There has been alot of confusion in the minds of people as to what fedora and redhat merger is all about?

You can check these websites to clear it:

http://www.fedora.us/
http://fedora.redhat.com

As stated on the above website:

=============================================================

Announcement: Red Hat Linux Merging with Fedora Linux

September 22, 2003
* Red Hat Linux Project is merging with the Fedora Linux Project,
and the resulting combined project will be named the Fedora Project.
* During the next few months, Fedora and Red Hat will work toward
integrating our packages, infrastructure, policies, and procedures with
the goal of creating a much larger community based Linux distribution
project. Until this new infrastructure is ready, Fedora will continue to
publish packages using the old infrastructure at fedora.us, while the
new project infrastructure, policies and documentation will be formed at
fedora.redhat.com.
* This merger necessitates the removal of certain problematic packages
due to licensing issues.
* There is a lot of work to be done, so please join us in
#fedora at irc.freenode.net and subscribe to the Fedora
mailing lists at fedora.redhat.com.

============================================

Also as stated on rhl.redhat.com:

==============================================
The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported product of Red Hat, Inc.

The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from free software. Development will be done in a public forum. The project will produce time-based releases of Fedora Core about 2-3 times a year with a public release schedule. The Red Hat engineering team will continue to participate in the building of Fedora Core and will invite and encourage more outside participation than was possible in Red Hat Linux. By using this more open process, we hope to provide an operating system that uses free software development practices and is more appealing to the open source community.

=================================================

Before the merger of fedora and redhat, the previous Fedora Linux Project founded in 2002 was an international team of volunteer software developers united for the development of high
quality 3rd party RPM packages for the Red Hat Linux platform.

Now redhat and fedora have merged...to deliver a free opensource operating system...i.e the free version of redhat linux (Not released by redhat,fedora instead, but sponsered and contributions made by both)

AS for the enterprise and other bussiness versions of redhat linux, they will contnue to be developed solely by redhat.(I refer to the main development).As mentioned already, redhat has already given distribution rights to a company in pakistan to sell its enterprise/other versions.

People who want to use the free version of redhat, will now use fedora project...a free version of redhat linux.(Not released by redhat,fedora instead, but sponsered and contributions made by both)

This is what i make up of the issue.
If you think any point is wrong, feel free to point out...since there are a lot of conflicting statements from sources about redhat and fedora merger.
mahin wrote:Yes! it will be GPL after it is officialy released by Mandrake.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that ver 9.0 was the last free version of Red Hat. Hence forth it will be sold [ there is a resellar in Pakistan now - Faisal Khan Net Xs.com ] and free version will be Fedora not Red Hat.
Linux for Life!
mahin
Major

Mandrake 9.2 is out!

Post by mahin »

What is relevent for PLUC members is following:

1. There is no more Red Hat if any one need they can buy from Red Hat directly or any of their authorised re-seller. In Pakistan http:www.netxs.com.pk claim to be their reseller.

2. Those who still need Free Red Hat will now have to use Fedora. As far user in Pakistan are concerned it is only a name change, nothing more.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Re: Mandrake 9.2 is out!

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Yup, from an average pakistani linux user's perspective, this is enough information for them.
that if they want to use free version of redhat, they now have to use fedora,which is an open project not closed...i.e new versions will be released twice in an year...
Actually i am one of those who dig deep into details hehe.
mahin wrote:What is relevent for PLUC members is following:

1. There is no more Red Hat if any one need they can buy from Red Hat directly or any of their authorised re-seller. In Pakistan http:www.netxs.com.pk claim to be their reseller.

2. Those who still need Free Red Hat will now have to use Fedora. As far user in Pakistan are concerned it is only a name change, nothing more.
Linux for Life!
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

Well I am glad that Mandrake is finally out with new version :)

Having a distribution for home users is rather nice :) Not all the people and all the installations require so many Server/Developer oriented applications.

As for Fedora, I am cautious. While there will be more frequent versions coming out, what about stability we got used to from Redhat. I wonder if QA will be half as good as before in Fedora ???? I see SUSE becoming more popular with SUSE 8.2 and 9.0 versions (Priced less than US$500 )with all the goodies and commercial support. Redhat Server is around US$2100 !!! Besides more governments are going for SUSE instead of Redhat (Including Mexico and Germany)

I believe Mandrake 9.2 will be lot more solid and versatile than Fedora 1.0 as RedHat is allocating more resources on RedHat Enterprise Server now.

True, the server will be based on Fedora sources, but will also include lot more features ( and quality assurance tests, that we take for granted from Redhat distributions )
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Yup, good to see mandrake releasing a new version.
ALso redhat's free version 9 was good too, and i hope fedora would be good too.
Tauseef wrote:Well I am glad that Mandrake is finally out with new version :)
Thats why fedora will continue as redhat's free version...also for the same reason mandrake is free.

Having a distribution for home users is rather nice :) Not all the people and all the installations require so many Server/Developer oriented applications.
It would be premature to say if mandrake would be better than fedora or not.
It will be seen if it will be true or not, only when fedora comes out.
As they say "Seeing is beleiving", not guessing hehe.
You sound like a mandrake salesman.
Why do people say this is good and this is bad.
No linux distro is bad.Use what u like best.
The use of no opensource proejct should be discouraged.
I believe Mandrake 9.2 will be lot more solid and versatile than Fedora 1.0 as RedHat is allocating more resources on RedHat Enterprise Server now.

True, the server will be based on Fedora sources, but will also include lot more features ( and quality assurance tests, that we take for granted from Redhat distributions )
Linux for Life!
fawad
Site Admin

Post by fawad »

You know, I think the Fedora project has tremendous potential and I for one am glad Redhat went that route.
Advantages:
  • Less name confusion. Now non-commercial version of Redhat is Fedora, plain and simple. Keeps the lawyers happy.
  • Open contributions from the community.
  • Guaranteed unencumbered distribution (kinda like Debian).
  • Commercial software vendors (Oracle, IBM, etc.) can certify their products against Redhat proper instead of having confusion between Redhat Linux and Redhat Enterprise Linux in the minds of the customers.
  • apt rules!
khalido
Lance Naik

Post by khalido »

Since there's more community involvement in Fedora, they're going to be accepting patches.changes faster, so it should end up better.

now if only they could use apt-get, or make apt-rpm bulletproof...
Tauseef
Naik

Post by Tauseef »

Woah !! sounds like I have a lot of opposition on this topic. But that is the beauty of it. And proves atleast one point.

All Linux Distributions are not equal

I have nothing against Fedora project. Except that it has to prove itself once again from the grounds up, that it is same reliable, stable Linux we knew all along with the name of RedHat. And only time will tell

So far the RC3 is not stable enough to be even called RC, whereas Mandrake and Suse are out there with new versions and getting praises everywhere.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

Yup...all distros are not exactly same or exactly equal....But they are not that different either.Agreed , differences and advantages/disadvantages do exist....but they are not that major differences that you are trying to portray in your posts.You even went to the extent of saying that wine could not be run on redhat...which is ofcourse not true.blah blah

It is a matter of common sense, that every distro does have its advantages and disadvantages, plus points and negative points.

Use what u like best.

I have already elaborated a lot on the similarities and differences between distros in previous posts.

Its just like two people arguing on whether pepsi is best or coca cola.Obviously that varies from person to person.Every person has a different taste.That does not mean that pepsi is not good or coca cola is not good.Both are good in their own ways.

It is human nature to try to convince people that your favorite is the best.
It is a good thing provided, u donot cross the limits lol!

I think fawad was right on , when he said:

"Redhat, mandrake, debian....and all others...all are good in their own respects"

I think it would be better to stop arguing with each other without any purpose.

And i guess ill have to check to make sure u are not a mandrake salesman....hehe just kidding.
Tauseef wrote:All Linux Distributions are not equal

Linux for Life!