Red Alert: Queries :)

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
Stylish1
Cadet

Red Alert: Queries :)

Post by Stylish1 »

1. I am having problems intalling the program "HUNT" : Okay lets get it straight i am having some hard time installing programs in Linux since i started using it.

2 I am not able to install the progrm "CHEOPS" either

3. Is there a GUI for nmap in linux btw how do i scroll up in shell as my scanning goes to the end and i cant c the above data

4.Sometime when i run the rpm package file the software gets installed but where does it goes from there in my case i think it jus dissapears..........not the case that is

5.while installing i am able to decompress thenn get rid of the .tar then run ./configure or ./install but sometimes there are so many .c and .o files ...............how do i get the binaries out of them the same thing happend to me incase of "HUNT" and others..........etc

could some 1 download the HUNT or CHEOP or even both and tell me how to install the program coz there r so many .c and other confusinf files
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

First off, I have no idea what those programs are.
What are the links for HUNT and CHEOPS
First tell us are they both from .tar packages or rpms.

to install programs with rpm you enter a command like (as root user)
#: rpm -Uvh 'filename.rpm'
to install the package.
Note: you will see in alot of places people telling to just do,
#: rpm -i 'filename.rpm'
but its safer with -U, the 'v' and 'h' are for verbose, and hash status printout. Friendly stuff.

The program once installed can then be executed. If you dont know where rpm installs or dumps the binaries you can ask it.
do this...
#: rpm -qli 'programname'
(where 'programname' is the name on the rpm package. For example
if you installed 'snort-2.0-12-i386.rpm', 'programname' would be just 'snort' and not something like snort-2.0. Actually it might depend, I have run into exceptions but they're trivial.)

Anyway, thats how you install .rpm packages. Use the -qli parameters for querying, listing, and getting the package info.

Now, if you have software that comes in a .tar.gz or sometimes .tar.bz2 package you need to compile this software. Always read the README or INSTALL file for these packages. The most common way to install this kind of stuff is doing what you have been doing. ./configure will run and check dependencies and prepare everything for compile. Once its done you need to issue the 'make' command. This will compile the software and can take some time. Lastly, you can find the binary and run the software, but if you want to actually install the thing run 'make install' (as root). The software will be installed to its default install path listed in the Makefile.
Its usually /usr/local/, so the binary will be in /usr/local/bin.

Once you issue the 'make install' command you can run the program if its in your PATH. PATH means the place your shell or terminal window knows where to look for the binary. You shouldn't have to worry about this. Hopefully.
Also, don't worry about all those .c and .o files, just follow what I have described above but make sure to check the program documentation.

Before compiling the software you must also make sure all the libaries and dependent software already exists on your system. So when './configure' runs keep an eye on it and check that everything important passes the tests. This will help to ensure that the program will compile properly.

Now, about Nmap. Nmap has a frontend (a graphical user interface) called Nmapfe. Its a separate package. If you are using Redhat or some distro that uses rpms grab the rpm. The command for it would be 'nmapfe' (of course run it as root to get all the options').

If you want you could grab all the output from nmap and direct the output to a text file to check out later.

In Unix you can redirect program output to other STDOUT. The default STDOUT would be the screen but you can tell the program (actually the shell) to send the output to a text file like...
'nmap -O -sS -v 127.0.0.1 > TEXT_FILE'. And voila, the file called TEXT_FILE will have all the output, you wont miss anything.

Another way would be to increase the buffer size of your terminal window. This is easy for something like 'gnome-terminal' its just an option - check it out.

To scroll up , I usually have to hold 'Shift' and then press 'Page-Up' unless you are using a laptop or a non-generic keyboard.
Faraz.Fazil
Major General

Post by Faraz.Fazil »

That explains it all.
Well answered jargon!
Linux for Life!
Stylish1
Cadet

Post by Stylish1 »

thx a bunch man that was really a neat explanation

well HUNT is a TCP hijacking tool and cheops is a network rconnaisance tool bot are available at packetstormsecurity.org.pk

i have got latest versions of both but am unable to take use of these kewl tewls

plz gude me ithe install--------------hlp needed man
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

Read the INSTALL file for the hunt package.

You got to extract the files first with 'tar zxpvf hunt-1.5.tgz,

all you need to type is 'make' so i dont understand why its so difficult.

Even better , packetstorm has the file hunt-1.5bin.tgz, which is already compiled
for linux x86 arch. , all you would have to do with that file is decompress it and run hunt
as './hunt'.

Dont ask how to use hunt here, its all in (big) README file, yeah its like a book

========================================================================

In fact, I downloaded hunt-1.5.tgz, and compiled it within a couple of minutes.
Stylish1
Cadet

Post by Stylish1 »

compiling is not the problem using hunt is the actuall problem i must say

everytime do

#hunt (somehost or some ip) i get
[root@localhost hunt-1.5]# hunt S
/*
* hunt 1.4
* multipurpose connection intruder / sniffer for Linux
* (c) 1998/99 by kra
*/
[root@localhost hunt-1.5]# S
bash: S: command not found
[root@localhost hunt-1.5]# hunt -S -i eth0
hunt: invalid option -- S
usage: hunt -vV [-i eth_interface]
[root@localhost hunt-1.5]# hunt -S
[root@localhost hunt-1.5]# hunt -SS

hlp nedded
jargon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jargon »

I dont understand why you are passing the -S argument , there is no such argument available!

The only arguments which are clearly listed in the README file are -V, -v, & -i.
zaeemarshad
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by zaeemarshad »

as far as cleaning up of files was concerned that can be done with
make clean
and make mrproper optionally. thats my two cents

regards
zaeem