PTCL DSL Modem

Taking care of your Linux box.
shahzor
Naik

PTCL DSL Modem

Post by shahzor »

I have one questions and the question is that I have a PTCL DSL Modem which doesn't have any fix IP okay fix IP is still not a problem the problem is that I want to access the ssh on that modem but I don't get access to the remote machine machine.

if some one configured it already please let me know I have the Shiro DSL 805E ADSL2+Ethernet Modem
LinuxBoy
x2oxen
Major General

Post by x2oxen »

I completely lost with your question don't know what you are saying.. I Hope even you don't know what you talking about
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
http://usmanpk.com
shahzor
Naik

Post by shahzor »

x2oxen wrote:I Hope even you don't know what you talking about
well brother when you don't want to answer don't blame some one to be lost also I know what I am asking any way thanks for your reply.

PTCL Modem means that I am using PTCL services.

I don't have fix IP means that I get the IP from a DHCP server.

I have two servers a and b configured with SSH.

but when I ssh from a to b I don't get connected there is something with the modem which should be configured.

any how thanks

shahz
Last edited by shahzor on Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxBoy
x2oxen
Major General

Post by x2oxen »

shahzor wrote:well brother when you don't want to answer don't blame some one to be lost also I know what I am asking I have seen in many places that you are more intrested to get posts not to give answer any way thanks for your reply.
Thanks for watching me out in my posts but you are getting completely wrong idea about that.
shahzor wrote:I don't have fix IP means that I get the IP from a DHCP server.
You don't get ip from a DHCP server but PPPOE Server and your ip is dynamic.
shahzor wrote:I have two servers a and b configured with SSH.

but when I ssh from a to b I don't get connected there is something with the modem which should be configured.
Here again you didn't tell that where point A and B exactly are. I assume your Point A is in your lan behind modem and your pint B is somewhere on internet and you want to ssh your point A from point B. For this purpose you have to do port forwarding in your DSL modem (I assuming your pppoe dialed from your modem and you are behind nat). And also check your ssh servers are working fine and listening on right ports.

If it is not this way then describe your scenario again.
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
shahzor
Naik

Post by shahzor »

First a real sorry to MR. USMAN

I have two server on diffrent places using the PTCL services. with a DSL modem.

I have opend the graphical interface for my modem and added a LAN client IP, its host and the MAC address for it. now I want to add the port forwarding but din't see SSH port by default, it gives me option to add a rule which says.

Rule Management

Rule Name:
Protocol: TCPUDPTCP,UDP
Port Start: Port End:
Port Map:

Rule Name:- SSH
Protocol:- TCP
Port Start:-
Port End:-
Port Map

I know that the ssh port is 22 but Port start port end and port map what should be there.

thanks if some one helps.

shahz
LinuxBoy
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

port start = 22
port end = 22
port map = your local server
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
x2oxen
Major General

Post by x2oxen »

Mr. Farid answered your question hope it will help you out now.
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

who?
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
x2oxen
Major General

Post by x2oxen »

Mr. Farid Nawaz.. Or you can say Mr, Fareed Nawazz.. Whatever you like to being spelled..
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

don't you have a cart to pull, ox?
x2oxen
Major General

Post by x2oxen »

lambda wrote:don't you have a cart to pull, ox?
Nop I don't :wink:
Muhammad Usman
+92-321-6640501
Chemonics International
Saad Khan
Company Havaldaar Major

Re: PTCL DSL Modem

Post by Saad Khan »

shahzor wrote:I have one questions and the question is that I have a PTCL DSL Modem which doesn't have any fix IP okay fix IP is still not a problem the problem is that I want to access the ssh on that modem but I don't get access to the remote machine machine.

if some one configured it already please let me know I have the Shiro DSL 805E ADSL2+Ethernet Modem
Convert your modem into bridge mode, normally dsl/adsl modems work in router mode.
when you will convert your modem into bridge mode, it will give live(dynamic) IP to your machine.
you just need to ask PTCL for vci/vpi values, and put the vci/vpi values on modem interface (you should know, how to access modem interface), then change your modem mode to bridge. and restart your modem.
now your check your machine interface, it will have LIVE(dynamic) IP from PTCL.
now you need to install dynamic dns client on your machine and register your machine with some dynamic dns service providers.

www.no-ip.com
freedns.afraid.org

after performing above steps, you can access to your machine from anywhere by using its dynamic domain name.
shakirz1
Battalion Quarter Master Havaldaar

Post by shakirz1 »

after installing following service you do not need to configure your modem in bridge mode, port forwarding in DSL for ssh is also work for you.

www.no-ip.com
freedns.afraid.org
nomankhn
Colonel

Post by nomankhn »

shakirz1 wrote:after installing following service you do not need to configure your modem in bridge mode, port forwarding in DSL for ssh is also work for you.

www.no-ip.com
freedns.afraid.org

Hi,

By the way if you search forum I think Lambda already answer in some old post, but you did not search :(

Thanks,
Noman Liaquat
shahzor
Naik

Post by shahzor »

I am using Shiro DSL 805E ADSL 2 + Ethernet Modem, within the rule management section when I add a user specific service which in my senario is ssh I give the following adding but it comes out with an page error don't know what it is.

Protocol is TCP
Port start is = 22
Port end is = 22
Port map = my local ip

any one knows what problem it can be.

thanks in advance

shahz
LinuxBoy