Online data storage

General discussion about Linux, Linux distribution, using Linux etc.
usamahashimi

Online data storage

Post by usamahashimi »

Is there any free online data storage service so that I can save my data (doc, mp3, pics etc) and can access from anywhere?
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

this was posted recently.
Watch out for the Manners Taliban!
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
usamahashimi

Post by usamahashimi »

lambda!
kindly check this
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

i'm not going to install dropbox and kde.
Isn't it amazing how so many people can type "linuxpakistan.net" into their browsers but not "google.com"?
usamahashimi

Post by usamahashimi »

So dropbox is not for kde?
I also logout, restart X and login.
So if dropbox is not for me then kindly refer to my original question;
Is there any free online data storage service so that I can save my data (doc, mp3, pics etc) and can access from anywhere?
Last edited by usamahashimi on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osama
Havaldaar

Post by osama »

I use lycos ftp service to upload my configuration files on daily basis. I just wrote script and scheduled it and it take all config files zip it and upload it on lycos free ftp.
usamahashimi

Post by usamahashimi »

Dropbox successfully installed and running. I will come back if I encounter any problem, thanks for your help :)
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

So dropbox is not for kde?
it means that i am not going to spend a few hours downloading and installing kde to answer your question. no one should be expected to do that. please do not direct your queries to me personally. just because linux is free doesn't mean that my time is (nor is anyone's).
Dropbox successfully installed and running.
are you going to tell us how you got it to work?
usamahashimi

Post by usamahashimi »

do not direct your queries to me personally. just because linux is free doesn't mean that my time is (nor is anyone's).
If you do not want to answer, just say "No", but do not have any right to talk like this.
are you going to tell us how you got it to work?
Installed the following package;
dropbox-lnx.x86-0.6.405.tar.gz
lambda
Major General

Post by lambda »

If you do not want to answer, just say "No", but do not have any right to talk like this.
why not? i made my feelings clear without insulting anyone. i have every right in the world to describe how i feel, and you need to know why i feel the way i do. a simple "no" isn't going to satisfy either requirement.

when i said "i'm not going to install dropbox and kde", that did not mean that dropbox doesn't work with kde, as you asked in your reply. if you'd read the docs or faqs (and you did do that, right?), you would know that it works with kde. if it doesn't work, then either you didn't follow the instructions properly, or something else went wrong, and the only way for someone to help you is to have kde installed and be willing to install dropbox. i don't have kde installed, so how can i help? remember, you did post this, with my name in it:
lambda!
kindly check this
i try to help when i can. in fact, it's sometimes extremely frustrating when i help someone and they can't solve the problem. however, you must understand that not everyone is willing to drop everything just to help you. not everyone has the same setup (hardware, installed software packages, etc) as you do, and sometimes it takes time and effort to install and configure things to match your setup. if people have used whatever you have trouble with, or if it's easy to setup, people can help you with it. just because i help you solve your problem (find software to use) doesn't mean i can necessarily help you install/configure/use the software.

no one is on linuxpakistan to provide free tech support for any random piece of hardware or software you want to use. you can ask linuxfreak how he used to receive random people asking him for (free) help on instant messenger. every so often, people try to talk to me on google talk, too.